Gem out of NY vs. ? out of Miami

Warmer Climes

Can you believe I am already looking at our cruise for 2013?

Here's my question: we would do either the Gem out of NYC for 9 days, Eastern Caribbean or the Sun out of Miami, 11 days Southern Caribbean. We live in NH so it's a four and a half hour drive to the port if we do the Gem, vs. flying to Miami. Obviously it would be cheaper to do the Gem. My question is...will I like sailing in the cold for a day? For people who have done the NY-based cruises, how do they compare to just leaving from Florida? How is the cruise experience for a person who is used to leaving in warm weather? The itinerary of the Sun is more appealing but the quick drive into NY is more appealing than flying into Miami.

Does anyone have 2 cents?

Barb

Here's my question: we would do either the Gem out of NYC for 9 days, Eastern Caribbean or the Sun out of Miami, 11 days Southern Caribbean. We live in NH so it's a four and a half hour drive to the port if we do the Gem, vs. flying to Miami. Obviously it would be cheaper to do the Gem. My question is...will I like sailing in the cold for a day? For people who have done the NY-based cruises, how do they compare to just leaving from Florida? How is the cruise experience for a person who is used to leaving in warm weather? The itinerary of the Sun is more appealing but the quick drive into NY is more appealing than flying into Miami.

Barb

Personally, what we love about leaving from NY is that once we get to the port our vacation begins. No need to worry about grabbing a flight, waiting for baggage claim, all the hassles that go with flying.

If you are used to starting your cruise in warm weather you might not like it. My BIL said he would not cruise out of NY/NJ again, even though he's 20 minutes from the Bayonne port. He did not like dealing with the cold weather to and from NY/NJ.

Each their own

I live in Boston and would do the sun. I like the longer cruise and would fly down to Miami (via fort LAuderdale) a day earlier than the cruise start date. I do like the idea of starting the cruise with warmth vs. Having to wait a day or so leaving from ny. One man's opinion. I am sure you will enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

Barb

I have sailed out of NY in Nov a couple times. You do lose a day on either end of the sailing due to the cold weather. If it were me, I would hands down choose sailing out of Miami and getting a longer cruise even though it means flying/air fare.

As for looking at 2013, I have been for months. I have my eye on that 11 day on the Sun for Jan of 2013 :D

Barb

My 2 cents-if you like to relax on your first sea day the cold would be ok to leave from NY. I think the Gem is a much nicer ship than the Sun. More restaurants, better hair dryers and showers, etc. I would take the newer ship! I did a 10 day TA on the Gem and it was wonderful - even in an inside stateroom.

Barb

If you have never done the Southern Caribbean, I would do Miami. If you have, I'd take the multiple relax and do the Caribe b2b. No flying and ALL that that entails these days, hotel, extra food and transport. Just mho :)

Archived