"Free" V Paid for AI

I booked a 14 day cruise ( Now cancelled due to itinerary changes) for the family as soon as the 2011 cruise brochure was published. It was on the Celebration on 18th July on a 14 day B2B cruise. It included 2 Delux cabins and included "free" AI at a cost of £7,950 all in.

The same cruise now costs £6,260 not including AI. A saving of £1700. Even adding and paying a mind boggling £1396 for the AI available to purchase ( IS it possible to survive drinking that much alcohol in a forthnight?) the cruise would still work out £300 cheaper.

So it just goes to show that you get nothing for nothing and you need to be careful when deciding "when" to book.

Always the same with Thomson - I've really no idea why people book so far ahead. Other cruise lines often reduce nearer the time as well, but Thomsons always discount far more heavily.

It will get much cheaper yet.....

Even adding and paying a mind boggling £1396 for the AI available to purchase ( IS it possible to survive drinking that much alcohol in a forthnight?)

14 nights, and i presume 4 of you, only works out at less than £25 a day, thats quite easy to drink, even taking it easy and having soft drinks (8 drinks a day at £3 a go).

14 nights, and i presume 4 of you, only works out at less than £25 a day, thats quite easy to drink, even taking it easy and having soft drinks (8 drinks a day at £3 a go).

Yes, it does not look as bad when you break it down and it is easy to knock up a big bill if you like a drink and the cruise is nice and hot and sunny.

However, a lot of people who buy the cruise with "free" AI will not be big drinkers or drink at all, so they might be better just waiting until the "free" AI is removed and then booking their cruises.

I suppose it's all a bit of a lottery and you take a gamble either way.

the other thing that you have to remember is that on port days when you are off the ship even if you are wandering round the port you will need to have a drink and be paying, we have always settled the bill at the end by credit card and our bill for 2 of us is never more than £200 and we do like a drink also we tend to stay up till about 2am most nights so we don't go without. its a personal thing but we would be out of pocket if we paid for the drinks package up front

We have just done the Atlantic Crossing. 17 nights. Thomsone wanted £917 for the two of us for the drinks package. We had waited to book until the free all inclusive deal was gone. Even with a few drinks during the day, a bottle of wine every night then after dinner drinks in the bars and the theatre, our bar bill was just over £500 and we saved £1800 by waiting to book. Simples!!!

Always the same with Thomson - I've really no idea why people book so far ahead. Other cruise lines often reduce nearer the time as well, but Thomsons always discount far more heavily.

It will get much cheaper yet.....

Need a single room!

Hi Wooly, they seem to go really quickly. I was on the P and O site today just browsing and every cruise I looked at all the singles had gone.

Berwyn

Are you thinking of going alone Berwyn?:eek:

You can come to the Fjords with me if you want, lol. There was a lot of walking in Iceland though.:D:D;)

Seriously though, if you don't like to drink in the day or stay up late you're probably better paying as you go. We got the wine of the day most nights which gave us 3 good drinks each and a nice wine at that, around £12.99 last year, perhaps a bit more this year. We like to be up early and get off ship so we need a clear head, lol. Had too much one time, never again. I nearly broke my neck on my high heels, lol.:)

At the end of the day though everyone has a different idea of a good holiday.:)

Jan

Are you thinking of going alone Berwyn?:eek:

Jan

LOl No Jan,

When you looked at cruises they showed availability for all cabin types and you couldn't help noticing that singles had gone on all ones I looked at.

It was Grannypops fault, if she hadn't mentioned getting a bargain I wouldn't have gone nosing. At least i didn't book anything.

Berwyn

2years ago we were on spirit to baltic from newcastle,on board sales were offering fire and ice cruise for special price of £999.

we were interested as we had heard that thomson were going to stop sailing from u.k. we said we would think about it.

on our return (docked in newcastle on the sunday)passing the t.a.we saw in window THOMSON SPIRIT FIRE & ICE FROM £599 .

(this was the tuesday)on wednesday looked up thomson web sight.

FIRE & ICE FROM £559 on thursday went to t.a.told them price on internet, they agreed to meet the price,paid another £70 each for outside cabin in all cost us £629 each.a saving of £440 each a total of £880 in less than a week,so 3 weeks after coming off spirit we were back on her.

they say that all good things come to those who wait.

i would only book early if i wanted to make sure i got cabin i wanted,my look out with cabin is it's only for changing and sleeping in , i like to get around ship and see what is going on.

We booked this years cruise [ our first ] on the day the holidays went on sale last May. At the time I thought we had a bargain, early booking discount , free drinks and the cabin of our choice on the Spirit - No16 Eagle Deck - now I'm beginning to wonder - Pearls and Adriatic for 2 = £3800 + cash for shore etc and about 11 excursions - the whole thing [ excluding clothes of course] I estimate to top out at around £5300 - still ,it's not something I'll be doing every year :)

We booked this years cruise [ our first ] on the day the holidays went on sale last May. At the time I thought we had a bargain, early booking discount , free drinks and the cabin of our choice on the Spirit - No16 Eagle Deck - now I'm beginning to wonder - Pearls and Adriatic for 2 = £3800 + cash for shore etc and about 11 excursions - the whole thing [ excluding clothes of course] I estimate to top out at around £5300 - still ,it's not something I'll be doing every year :)

Don't let me put you off Keith. You have chosen a great Ship, cruise itinerary/s and cabin location and I am sure you will have a great time.

You are about 15 ft from Horizons bar, which I can testify from personal experience is great to pop into for a couple of "sneaky" drinks while the DW is getting ready for the evening.:)

Archived