Refund check expired

oooohDonna

I just realized :rolleyes: I have a check from our sign and sail card, refund, for around $100.00. Dated 2/15/11 and on the check its says "void after 60 days".

If I call Carnival do you think they will issue me a new check? I will definitely call them, but what do you guys think they will say?

I think they will issues a new check. Carnival may want you to return the old check. If they do issue a new check cash it soon after receiving it. You may want to ask if you could purchase Fun ship Dollars and not a check. That way you could use it for cruise related items. :)

they have to issue you a replacement check, they owe you the funds. If you never cash it or call for a replacement they end up giving it to the government who then makes a posting in local newspapers once a year for all the unclaimed money they have collected. If it is not collected then the Government gets it.

Not a Banker but worked in one years ago... Policy was if the funds are there the check is good (However; if funds are not there regardless of the date of the check it can cost you) That's the main reason post dated checks can be very dangerous. Most tellers look at the deposit slips only, key in the info, place it a pile, At the end of the day the "pile" then it goes to "proof" to verify the information is correct... From a bookkeeping standpoint, Carnival would rather have the check off their books than sit in La la land. I'd call them...

"they have to issue you a replacement check, they owe you the funds. If you never cash it or call for a replacement they end up giving it to the government who then makes a posting in local newspapers once a year for all the unclaimed money they have collected. If it is not collected then the Government gets it."

I am waiting for almost $300 from the state of Texas right now!

Mostly from health ins (2 docs and 1 hospital)over payments.

You would be surprised how often this happens.

mimi

it will depend on Carnivals bank.. 'stale dated' checks can still be deposited, but Carnival's bank has the option to return it, which will cost you probably around 10 bucks. A 'stale date' check is different from a bounced check fee.

I would deposit it. If the teller making the deposit does not catch it, it will most likely clear just fine.

About previous statements that they owe you the money and if you don't claim it the government gets it....that is an American law. Does this apply to Carnival? I know it does to American companies because I collect these funds, just asking.

The check is stale dated; there is a chance you could get it past a teller (better not be one of mine) but if you do chances are it will clear.....it is not a large dollar item and they don't have to time to go through all those little checks. Others are correct that after a certain period of time not clearing it would be "escheated" to the state as unclaimed funds.

The check is stale dated; there is a chance you could get it past a teller (better not be one of mine) but if you do chances are it will clear.....it is not a large dollar item and they don't have to time to go through all those little checks. Others are correct that after a certain period of time not clearing it would be "escheated" to the state as unclaimed funds.

:) got hit with a $7 service charge on a $3 check....it got as far as the receiving bank before it got returned..so it can happen!

I work in insurance and we send out checks everyday and they state the same thing. Your best suggestion would be to call Carnival and ask if you can still deposit the check or if they should reissue a new check. That money is still owed to you. I agree with previous posters, they write that on checks for accounting purposes.

I had a refund of $75.00 from Carnival that I forgot to cash. Carnival contacted me by mail & asked if I wanted a replacement check. I don't remember if I responded by mail or phone, but I do remember that I received the new check very quickly. If Carnival had not contacted me, I would have thought the money was lost to me.

You're lucky to have gotten the refund check.. we put cash down on our sail and sign and on the last night got a slip under the door that said "come see guest services" ... turned out we OWED them 39 cents.. lol.. :)

I just realized :rolleyes: I have a check from our sign and sail card, refund, for around $100.00. Dated 2/15/11 and on the check its says "void after 60 days".

If I call Carnival do you think they will issue me a new check? I will definitely call them, but what do you guys think they will say?

You could probably still cash the check. It is only a little past the 60 days. I work in Accounting and this happens alot with refund checks and our bank will still accept them for a certain period of time after the 60 days. The people that tell you that the funds are lost after the check is voided are wrong. If you don't call they will eventually contact you. The same thing happened to me. I had a refund check for like fifty some dollars and Carnival sent me a letter. I signed the letter returned it and was sent a repl check.

Archived