port to town in Marseille

btorlv

Sailing on the Epic Sept 30-Oct 7 2012...Does anyone know if the Epic provides a shuttle service from the dock to the Old Port.

From what I read in a number of recent reviews is that the NCL shuttle charges $20. I think that number is outrageous.

I have seen a couple of people hint at public transport being available. Things that I heard

• Number 60 bus?
  • There is a subway station at Joilette cruise port.

Any one has any more details? Does anyone know where exactly the big line ships dock?

OK, after a little more research I found this official document from the port.

It shows that right at the cruise terminal there is bus stop of the local line 35 which runs straight to the old port. Single trip is €1.50, day ticket of all lines €10.50

That would bring the cost down to €3 return which is way below the outrageous NCL charge.

Update:

Sorry cruise critic is blocking the link. replace the *s with bit (dot) ly. I also cannot link to the official port website because it contains the word "cruise" and this is blocked as well. (I guess for fear of advertising)

From what I read in a number of recent reviews is that the NCL shuttle charges $20. I think that number is outrageous.

Confirmed that NCL Epic is charging $20 for the shuttle bus into town (unlimited use). They said we docked 3 miles away from the city center and basically acted like the only transportation option. Agreed that the price seems very high.

• 11 months later...
OK, after a little more research I found this official document from the port.

It shows that right at the cruise terminal there is bus stop of the local line 35 which runs straight to the old port. Single trip is €1.50, day ticket of all lines €10.50

That would bring the cost down to €3 return which is way below the outrageous NCL charge.

Update:

Sorry cruise critic is blocking the link. replace the *s with bit (dot) ly. I also cannot link to the official port website because it contains the word "cruise" and this is blocked as well. (I guess for fear of advertising)

Hello! Would you mind emailing me the link for the official document? We will be on Carnival Legend next month and Marseille will be one of our ports of call.

Thanks.

Carol

(JepsRed505@yahoo.com)

I was in Marseille on the Ruby Princess May 10, 2013. Had no problem taking public transport to/from the port to the "Old Port" tourist area.

Ruby Princess was at the most distant part of the pier. The walk took 20 minutes from the ship to the #35 bus stop. See attached pictures.

No hills to climb. Green line to follow on the sidewalk all the way.

Bus fare is EURO 1.80/person one way. Pay cash. Change available on the bus.

Getting back is also easy but just watch carefully for the bus stop. Ask the driver to let you know when you are arriving at the PORTE 4 location.

Geoff

DSCN0735.jpg.53a49aad0885ed67d6c4ce96822fe9be.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg.fe6cff7717fcc4c8e1344ae10d1941e2.jpg

DSCN0741.jpg.5c96d7ab1588aac196f88951dbd0cd0f.jpg

DSCN0744.jpg.4aeefe1667c7b355021dff008843724b.jpg

DSCN0849.jpg.f16e80f1e2664447b19913afa640b00d.jpg

DSCN0851.jpg.2d204952fa9544bf12f49e1cf0688508.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg.68488507b63c4c4a9a48f47bde5bb26e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Epic last year. There was a shuttle for $14. We were docked as far as you could get from town. This was a true industrial port, so I would hesitate to walk into town. It looked like the walk was way more than five miles. Give yourself plenty of time for the shuttle. There was a great deal of traffic and the shuttle buses took forever.

Perhaps the poster who lives in Marseille can answer this for us. We'll be in Marseille in September cruising on the Costa Luminosa. We have friends in Cannes who will drive and meet with us in Marseille. There will be three cruise ships in port that day disgorging over 11,000 bodies. Where should we meet? I'm sure the port area will be a veritable zoo. Should we take the shuttle or a taxi and meet them in the Old Port area? I'm sure the lines for taxis and shuttles will be very long and we want to spend as much time as possible with our buddies. Any suggestions or brilliant ideas? Thanks in advance.

We tried to use that #35 bus that some have described and for us it did not work at all. When we arrived at the bus stop after a good half hour of walking, there was already a large group of about 200 people waiting for the bus. On Sundays, the bus runs only every 30 minutes. Whe the drivers saw the large crowd, they did not even bother to sto anymore an just drove by. We waited for about an hour and after it bacame clear that no bus would stop, we walked a long way towards another bus stop and cought a bus to the metro whixh finally the center.

I'd say it took us a total of three hours to get into Marseille and by the time we got there, all the tickets to Chateau d'If were already sold out. On the way back we took a cab which cost us more than what the cruise shuttle would haven been RT.

Hi,

Could you share how much you paid for the cab fare from the Old Port back to the ship? Can we fit 4 adults and 1 child in one cab?

Thx.

We paid 32 EUR including tip. The cab was an E-Class Mercedes, so you will only be able to fit four people in. We didn't see any larger vans, although that of course doesn't mean that they don't exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my earlier posts, I thought cruise tourists in Marseille would like to hear about the new, free shuttle bus from the terminals to the city. It was introduced in early June and is run by the Port of Marseille

. Details: http://www.marseille-provence.info/travel-rail-train-air-sea-road-motorways/boats-sea-ships-ferries-canals-rivers/385-marseille-cruise-ship-port.html#shuttle

Further to my earlier posts, I thought cruise tourists in Marseille would like to hear about the new, free shuttle bus from the terminals to the city. It was introduced in early June and is run by the Port of Marseille

. Details: http://www.marseille-provence.info/travel-rail-train-air-sea-road-motorways/boats-sea-ships-ferries-canals-rivers/385-marseille-cruise-ship-port.html#shuttle

This is extremely helpful. Thank you so much. We will be there on a Friday this year but unfortunately it happens to be All Saints Day. I'm assuming that the shuttle will not run on that day? Also, I've read that most things are closed. Do you have any suggestions of what we should plan to do that day?

Thanks so much for the link. I will use it for my upcoming cruise.

I was yesterday (Saturday) in Marseille and I was at Joliette square. I was planty of time before to go to the port and I waited and looked for the free shuttle but I didn't see it. So, after one hour and half I took the bus # 35.

I was in Marseille on the Ruby Princess May 10, 2013. Had no problem taking public transport to/from the port to the "Old Port" tourist area.

Ruby Princess was at the most distant part of the pier. The walk took 20 minutes from the ship to the #35 bus stop. See attached pictures.

Getting back is also easy but just watch carefully for the bus stop. Ask the driver to let you know when you are arriving at the PORTE 4 location.

Geoff

This is extremely helpful, thank you.

Geoff

Thank you so much for this info Geoff, I really appreciate it. I'm going on the Carnival Sunshine in Oct. and was trying to figure out how to get to Vieux. I've been trying to figure out where they'll dock for ages, it's not the Ruby, but should port somewhere near the same place I would think. Does the bus take you all the way into Vieux?

Thanks again,

Sheena

This is a great link - thanks very much. We will be there next year on the Prinsendam which is a smaller ship so perhaps we will be docking close to town. (fingers crossed) but the shuttle is great news. Thanks again:)

Archived