Reiable Drug Store in Belize??

clkirksey

So if I follow the advise that some give to not buy meds in Belize. I would have to buy my meds in the US, and not trust my doctor or pharmacist here where I live.

No, but it would not surprise me if the "locals" got the real/better/not outdated/real medicine.

and maybe they have the Other product for the customers that are not coming back soon. The tourists.

I think the next time a cruise ship does an overnight in Belize will be the first time.

Many people who purchase in Belize have no other choice. No insurance, no doctor or pharmacist, and often on fixed income. All understand value.

It is not surprising that Costa Rica ranks ahead of the United States in effective health care: http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/dec07/content/view/79/1/1/5/

Folks you may get the same medication that you'd get in the US and you very well may not. If you have a friend who's an M.D., a pharmacist or a nurse talk to them 1st before you buy. Also 3rd world countries do often get inferior and expired medication that are donated to the country by pharmacutical companies and by charitable organizations. This does not mean all drugs but can be a significant amount. They have no recourse to sue the companies. Krhpee who works in pharmacuticals is correct, inferior pharm. products do go to 3rd world countries. Some meds can also do less harm than others. I'd talk to a medical professional about what meds I wanted to buy and get their opinion 1st. I personally would not purchase meds in a 3rd world country but I'm not telling others what they should or should not do, I'm just giving out facts.

What do you think talking to one of those people would do for you? I am one of those people and I would know a little about the subject because I have been to Belize, cruise and land trip, and have purchased things from the Express Pharmacy place, but most of those people do not have a clue. They know no more than the people on this board because anything they tell you would just be their personally held belief and belive me, when you are discussing something out of their immediate range of knowledge is going to be crap.

However, if you are having trouble affording your medications at home, please do speak to them because we often have programs that can help in that dept and most would know about that.

Is there a chance you could get bad drugs? Yes, but there is also that chance when you get them at Walgreens. Even when drugs are obtained from reliable sources, you are still just having to hope they are the real deal and most of them are. I think the lady that runs that pharmacy does her best to insure you are getting what you pay for, just like Walgreens does, but the counterfitters are cleaver. The buying of generics are a better bet than name brands for the most part because more money is to be made from the counterfit name brands because they are higher priced. But in this day and age, nothing is a sure bet anymore.

The New York Times, MSNBC, Wall Street Journal and several other news sources have reported on the danger of drugs from 3rd world countries. This has also been discussed in medical publications. An investigation on online foreign pharmacies was 1st done in 2004 in NY. You can look it up on line.

The last time we were in Cozumel, taking a cab back to the ship, I asked the cab driver to take me to a good, inexpensive pharmacy. I bought a bottle of xanax. I used to have a prescription for xanax, so I used my old prescription bottle to transport them back home. I think the price was $40 for 100 (I could be wrong about the price, it was last year). I know it wasn't expensive, much cheaper than going to my U.S. doctor and getting a new prescription and they were exactly the same pills. I also always get a bottle of antiobiotics and prescription eyedrops.

What kind of prescription eyedrops? My insurance no longer pays for Patanol and if I can get them outside of the country I would be thrilled.

Just a simple question-- to those who would buy those drugs from third world countries--- if you do take them and do have a reaction due to the drug, then who do you go to for help--- the health industry here in this country? or do you go back to the cheap pharmacy where you bought them? No doubt you would use your insurance now to help pay for the medical treatment that was caused because you chose to be cheap. I have high deductible insurance so don't flame me that I have great coverage and don't understand. I pay three thousand before insurance pays anything. What doctor do you go to and tell him I took this medicine and now can you fix me? Sometimes we CAN'T have it both ways.

Correct, Belize city is a pigs sty. :rolleyes: Don't walk the streets at night :eek:

If you do make sure you have a will !!

You are correct about the danger of Belize City. However, I was born in Las Vegas and there are places there i wont go at night or during the day!!!

Cruise ships dont spend the night. Belize has much more to offer than just the city.

Gene Simmons from kiss will be filming in Belize in two weeks for Family Jewels.

I am sure he will get away from the city.

Just a simple question-- to those who would buy those drugs from third world countries--- if you do take them and do have a reaction due to the drug, then who do you go to for help--- the health industry here in this country? or do you go back to the cheap pharmacy where you bought them? No doubt you would use your insurance now to help pay for the medical treatment that was caused because you chose to be cheap. I have high deductible insurance so don't flame me that I have great coverage and don't understand. I pay three thousand before insurance pays anything. What doctor do you go to and tell him I took this medicine and now can you fix me? Sometimes we CAN'T have it both ways.

The same doctor I would go to if i had an issue with a drug reaction from a medicine purchased in the US. :rolleyes:

As for your comment about your high deductable that is either a decision that you or your company made and I feel for you but please don't belittle people who are trying to manage their healthcare costs.

I had to ask my mom's doctors to write her scripts for drugs that have been around while and not the "latest and greatest" because I couldn't afford them. That doesn't make me a bad daughter just a realistic one. Would you rather them skip their meds?

The next time I go on a cruise, I'll have to remember to pack my moral compass. I have enjoyed reading all the comments on this thread. Some were thought provoking, some were funny (intentional or not.)

This discussion (to me at least) comes down to who to believe from a group of people making money off us; whether they be drug companies, doctors, politicians, the media, or a former-Walmat pharmacist currently living in Belize.

Yes there is a risk but it's not the only one you'll take on your cruise. Most likely you will eat too much, drink too much, gamble too much, and/or play to hard.

And there is a risk whether you go or not. It was reported today that 4 people died in a clinical drug study. I'm assuming the numbers were not statistically significant to affect the drug companies bottom line.

I'm also assuming buying a one-month supply of prescription drug in foreign country is statistically insignificant to matter.

As for it being illegal, why don't you slow down to the speed limit on your drive to the port and ponder that thought?

Happy Easter!

• 4 weeks later...

People on both sides of this issue trying to justify what they are doing (or not doing). There are alot of "opinions" on this board, but the facts are the facts.

Let me first tell you that I am a US trained Pharm.D. (Doctor of Pharmacy) with over 26 years of experience in the field. I am NOT a big fan of US Pharmaceutical Companies, or the current state of healthcare here in the US. Drug costs our outrageous indeed, the fact that many drugs can be OTC (over the counter) and not prescription is entirely the fault of drug companies. They obtain an FDA patent on the drug (good for 9 years) and REQUEST that it be prescription because it profits them and the MD's that write for them. Another reason for the expensive drugs is the extensive research and quality control measures. In Third World Countries, there are non of the safety measures and QI (quality) that US has. The little old pharmacy in Beliz might be selling you a drug with the exact same chemical composition as its U.S. counterpart that is just as effective...........................or it might NOT. It might be a Chinese knock-off. The nice ex-Walmart Pharmacist in Beliz CANNOT guarantee the drug unless she is testing each and every batch in her little laboratory. Now this "knock-off" drug issue isn't a big deal for your ****** customer, hey if it doesn't work, oh well. But would you trust your life saving antibiotics or cardiac drugs to Beliz drug importers?

AND I am not getting on my "moral" high horse, but it is highly illegal to bring back any prescription drug. Especially ANY Narcotic (Xanax, Valium, Codeine, you can be brought up on drug trafficking charges (and please don't compare this to speeding on the roads). Just ask the lady Pharmacist in Belize!

• 2 weeks later...

AND I am not getting on my "moral" high horse, but it is highly illegal to bring back any prescription drug. Especially ANY Narcotic (Xanax, Valium, Codeine, you can be brought up on drug trafficking charges (and please don't compare this to speeding on the roads). Just ask the lady Pharmacist in Belize!

It's not highly illegal if you have a prescription and it is highly unlikely that they would do anything unless you were bringing back a quantity that was obviously not for personal consumption. That is the only reason they would consider any sort of trafficking charges.

Sure sounds like a moral high horse to me.

It's not highly illegal if you have a prescription and it is highly unlikely that they would do anything unless you were bringing back a quantity that was obviously not for personal consumption. That is the only reason they would consider any sort of trafficking charges.

Sure sounds like a moral high horse to me.

Sargent Schultz......have you ever seen Nicorette Gum for sale there?

• 2 weeks later...

These drugs are only the ones sold at the port. I once visited Belize for a couple of weeks and when we tried to use another pharmacy to buy codeine cough syrup we were told only when ships are in port do they have pharmacies opened that sell these drugs with out a perscription.

Sargent Schultz......have you ever seen Nicorette Gum for sale there?

Never looked for it and haven't been there in years. I think some states now subsidize it, patches, etc., but Kansas doesn't look like one. They do have some help available: http://www.kdheks.gov/tobacco/

In theory we'll be in Belize in late fall, so if I have time will try to see what kind of stuff they are selling now.

I doubt they sell Nicorette, but if there is a generic equivalent, they might.

Never looked for it and haven't been there in years. I think some states now subsidize it, patches, etc., but Kansas doesn't look like one. They do have some help available: http://www.kdheks.gov/tobacco/

In theory we'll be in Belize in late fall, so if I have time will try to see what kind of stuff they are selling now.

I doubt they sell Nicorette, but if there is a generic equivalent, they might.

Thanks for the info. My DH has been chewing nicorette gum for years....can't kick the gum habit, but at least he doesnt smoke anymore! We will check it out when we are there in July.

Thanks for the info. My DH has been chewing nicorette gum for years....can't kick the gum habit, but at least he doesnt smoke anymore! We will check it out when we are there in July.

Perhaps try switching to an alternative treatment like patches or something else and maybe wean off of that? The state should be able to help you with possible alternatives or even how to kick the gum habit. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Hi Charlie:

I have been to this drug store in Belize, and I have talked to the lady there from Louisiana and I am from the same area. I am sad that I did not get some sort of way to contact them. email ore name of drug store. if anyone has that info please send it to me at heckaroo@att.net. thanks so much. Gene

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have never been to Belize but have been to Mexico many times to get prescription medicine, as long as it is not a scheduled, like codeine or steroids or something like that. I declare it to customs and walk across with no problems, there are over 100 farmacias within a block of the border and the winter Texans all go across.

Archived