Reiable Drug Store in Belize??

clkirksey

just was there last month and made some purchases -never had a proble getting anything back into the States-put it on the credit card -we used the one inside the cruise port-very helpful -the arthritis cream is wonderful!

Why not? Iv never had my suitcase searched by customs.

Just because you have been lucky doesn't mean that everyone is, and the fact of the matter is that it is illegal to bring prescription only drugs into the US without a valid prescription. People are stopped, searched, caught and arrested every day.

Just because you have been lucky doesn't mean that everyone is, and teh fact of the matter is that it is illegal to bring prescription only drugs into the US without a valid prescription. People are stopped, searched, caught and arrested every day.

I used to mail order prescription drugs from australia without scrips...never been caught. Can't tell you how much stuff I have brought back from Belize...never had an issue. Customs has other stuff to worry about then legal drugs...They are more concerned with wacky weed etc...

I love the pharmacy in Belize. The pharmasist is an American woman. I got a bladder infection on my first cruise and I was too scared to go into the store and "buy all those illegal drugs!!" I made my boyfriend go in instead. He told the pharmasist that I was too chicken to come inside and witness "all the illegal activity" going on inside.

She actually CAME OUTSIDE and asked me a few questions, "Does it hurt? How long do I think I have had it?" etc... She gave me a bottle of Cipro (antibiotics) told me to take 1 for 10 days, and see my doctor when I get home. I laughed at my ignorance (and stupidity) about being afraid. She was so nice and told me that I was not doing anything illegal.

You are in Belize! It's legal to buy it there. So no crime is committed. Shop till you drop! I have since been back 3 times, and I always pick up a bottle of Antibiotics, some Xanex, and the Retinol creme. Never been stopped at customs.

I guess it depends on what one buys. My DH has purchased anti-biotics, prescription hand-cream (for his skin allergies) and I've purchased Levaquin. Never have experienced anything different than what we buy here (except a much lower cost.) We also pack them in our carry-ons.

Really? Any type of Rx can be gotten without the rx? I have a few that are too expensive for me to get here... since I have no insurance to cover it... starting to wonder if maybe I should hit the pharmacy there. What type of price differences are we talking?

Really? Any type of Rx can be gotten without the rx? I have a few that are too expensive for me to get here... since I have no insurance to cover it... starting to wonder if maybe I should hit the pharmacy there. What type of price differences are we talking?

I got zyrtec for 12.00 for 20 days as opposed to the 45.00 for 30 days that my insurance charged me. Depends on the pills

Actually the one pharmacy at the cruise port is run by an ex Wal-Mart pharmacist. Not sure about the other one but they may both be run by the same folks. They are the same prescription drugs you can buy here in the states you just don't need an RX and they are a lot cheaper.

As for not bringing them back to the states -- Never had a problem doing so in my 4 trips to Belize

never mind, I wont even coment on where the ex-walmart pharmacist got the drugs for the store.

Ok don't flame me, I am just gonna ask a question. It is illegal to bring these meds into the US without a script. People buy the drugs there because they are cheaper. Why is this acceptable but smuggling booze onto the ship isn't? Both are against the rules but both are being done to save money.

Just askin. I don't care either way.

Ok don't flame me, I am just gonna ask a question. It is illegal to bring these meds into the US without a script. People buy the drugs there because they are cheaper. Why is this acceptable but smuggling booze onto the ship isn't? Both are against the rules but both are being done to save money.

Just askin. I don't care either way.

Hey, if they will smuggle booze on the ship, and drugs on the ship, I am wondering,

If I get 2 big suitcases, will someone smuggle me and my wife on the ship, so we can have a free cruise?

I tend to ignore alarmists. The drugs are often generic but for many people, it is often the first stop and perhaps even the reason for the whole cruise. What some medicines cost in the US is criminal and they are the ones more likely to be counterfeit than generics. There isn't a lot of money in counterfeiting generics.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/BE/pharm/pharm.htm

Those prices are unbelievable! Wow...I had no idea...

Never brought US script drugs off script in a country other than Canada and had no issues crossing the bridge back to the states.

If I make it back to Belize I might by some of the meds that I take for my migraines that aren't covered by my insurance but if they are available there I would be sorely tempted.

The last time we were in Cozumel, taking a cab back to the ship, I asked the cab driver to take me to a good, inexpensive pharmacy. I bought a bottle of xanax. I used to have a prescription for xanax, so I used my old prescription bottle to transport them back home. I think the price was $40 for 100 (I could be wrong about the price, it was last year). I know it wasn't expensive, much cheaper than going to my U.S. doctor and getting a new prescription and they were exactly the same pills. I also always get a bottle of antiobiotics and prescription eyedrops.

Whether you have trouble bringing them back to the USA is not the point. The point is it is illegal. The savings probably not worth the cost if caught. I worked in the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals guess where we sent the drugs not meetng specs. Mexico and many other countries. Pretty much industry wide practice. I will pay more and be safe.

You folks that keep talking about he legality of this do realize that the US is the only country in the world that you CAN'T buy antibiotics without a scrip right?

Folks you may get the same medication that you'd get in the US and you very well may not. If you have a friend who's an M.D., a pharmacist or a nurse talk to them 1st before you buy. Also 3rd world countries do often get inferior and expired medication that are donated to the country by pharmacutical companies and by charitable organizations. This does not mean all drugs but can be a significant amount. They have no recourse to sue the companies. Krhpee who works in pharmacuticals is correct, inferior pharm. products do go to 3rd world countries. Some meds can also do less harm than others. I'd talk to a medical professional about what meds I wanted to buy and get their opinion 1st. I personally would not purchase meds in a 3rd world country but I'm not telling others what they should or should not do, I'm just giving out facts.

I have lived in Belize for almost three years. I take meds, my Girlfriend takes meds, a lot of people I know take meds. No one I know has ever had any problems from buying meds from any pharmacy.

I have read where cases of vets using expired meds on animals. That brought on so much press and government investigation it was was stopped .

Belize is a small country. Most business strive on reputation. If they get any bad press it is almost imposable to recover. They will not risk doing anything that would hurt their income.

Folks you may get the same medication that you'd get in the US and you very well may not. If you have a friend who's an M.D., a pharmacist or a nurse talk to them 1st before you buy. Also 3rd world countries do often get inferior and expired medication that are donated to the country by pharmacutical companies and by charitable organizations. This does not mean all drugs but can be a significant amount. They have no recourse to sue the companies. Krhpee who works in pharmacuticals is correct, inferior pharm. products do go to 3rd world countries. Some meds can also do less harm than others. I'd talk to a medical professional about what meds I wanted to buy and get their opinion 1st. I personally would not purchase meds in a 3rd world country but I'm not telling others what they should or should not do, I'm just giving out facts.

You know these as facts how exactly?

Archived