Alaska Land Tours

Shirley C

Did this several years ago so have no current info on tours but can offer the following,

If all possible tour first then cruise back. Will have chance to rest on first day of cruise.

Most of our days were long up early and usually late nights so at end of week were quite tired.

Layer your clothing ending up with light weight rain jacket for both rain and wind protection.

Alaska is big take plenty of pictures.

Definitely take long tour in Denali Park if time allows. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Hope this helps a little feel free to as questions will answer best I can.

I did the tour 1 then Millennium 7 day southbound in 2008 and doing it again this fall. I agree with the suggestions above. But try the Alaska ports portion of Cruise Critic Board. Lots of good advice there.

Did this several years ago so have no current info on tours but can offer the following,

If all possible tour first then cruise back. Will have chance to rest on first day of cruise.

Most of our days were long up early and usually late nights so at end of week were quite tired.

Layer your clothing ending up with light weight rain jacket for both rain and wind protection.

Alaska is big take plenty of pictures.

Definitely take long tour in Denali Park if time allows. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Hope this helps a little feel free to as questions will answer best I can.

Thanks for your help. We had the same thought as you ~~ we are doing the land tour prior to the cruise. We figured it would be nice to finish the trip being pampered!

Were the long days because of all that was included with the tour, or did you book side tours as well? Also, how were the accommodations at the hotels they put you up at? How many people were on the tour with you? I know they don't include meals, so what choices were you given as far as stopping during the day to eat?

Thanks again for your help.

Shirley

I did the tour 1 then Millennium 7 day southbound in 2008 and doing it again this fall. I agree with the suggestions above. But try the Alaska ports portion of Cruise Critic Board. Lots of good advice there.

Thanks. I didn't see a thread devoted to land tours specifically. Is there one? I would love to hear about your experience once you are back from your cruise. Are you booking some private tours when you go this fall?

Shirley

Thanks for your help. We had the same thought as you ~~ we are doing the land tour prior to the cruise. We figured it would be nice to finish the trip being pampered!

Were the long days because of all that was included with the tour, or did you book side tours as well? Also, how were the accommodations at the hotels they put you up at? How many people were on the tour with you? I know they don't include meals, so what choices were you given as far as stopping during the day to eat?

Thanks again for your help.

Shirley

They were long because of distance to be covered and meal times. Up early usually before 6 to clean up for morn and then pack and go for breakfast. Also did some evening stuff so would come in late. Went to Jeff Kings 0ne evening which made it late night.

The Hotels we stayed in were all great one day we were in the Aleaska in Girdwood. There awere only about 15 on ours but this was before X started doing there own trips. Saw some princess groups and had quite a load of people. Some days only place to eat was where bus stopped others at night had several choices. Hope this helps

We are going to be combining a land tour with an Alaska cruise in 2012. I'm looking for any and all information on what to expect on the land portion. Any info would be great.

Here's my landtour review link - avoid bus connections, ride in comfort on the train. Good Luck

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=365414&highlight=

Archived