WSJ Article on Smartphones Abroad

rich_cathybrock

Excellent article on cellular use abroad from the WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704495004576265462948384474.html?mod=wsj_share_twitter

This has been said before, but a reminder to all travelers heading abroad who are bringing along their Smartphones, iPads and Tablets: Roaming rates, whether through the cruise line (CDMA) or on land (GSM) can be excruciating, and these devices are always on, unless they are turned off, or placed into "Airplane Mode" which defeats not only data, but voice, rendering them virtually useless.

I know of many people who returned from a cruise to find a cellular bill three times the cost of the onboard charges for 12 days in the Med because they did not understand the complexities of international voice and data roaming and what the myriad plans do and do not offer. Others expected their phones to work and found them incompatible, and therefore stranded themselves, which could easily be avoided with a little pre-travel planning (and no, this is not the "hmmm...which shore excursion..." fun travel planning).

Unfortunately, most Wireless Carrier's Residential Use Technical Support Centers are completely untrained to assist travelers with pricing and options. Caveat Emptor! :eek:

If your carrier has an International Business Support line, call that number for assistance and insist you were referred there by the primary support group. You will likely be given options based on the locations and time you will be abroad, including clear instructions for accessing voice and data, what this will cost, and even how to monitor your use so you don't have any unpleasant surprises upon your return home.

I know many of you are thinking "what kind of vacation would it be if I toted one of those things around" and I say good for you! If you can be unplugged for two-three weeks at a clip, you are truly lucky. Between family and work obligations and my type-A need to plan a ton of 10+ person private shorex groups, this is not an option for me. If you, too are addicted to your technology, be sure to check this out thoroughly before you sail!

Fair winds and following seas, all!

Archived