Did we wait too late?

MemawB.

Cruising out May 7 to Western Carribean and have a question about the excursions. Tried to book some excursions on-line and have been told they are already booked full that day. Do the ships keep a certain amount of excursions reserved for their passengers? Is it advisable to go first thing when we get on board to book one from the cruise line? I guess we should have looked into booking our reservations quite a while ago . Thanks for any information.

Which ship? what ports?

Most on here will tell you to book tours not through the ship as they are normally cheaper and less crowded. Go to the ports of call section on cruise critic and look at the ports you are visiting. Lots of info.

Cruising out May 7 to Western Carribean and have a question about the excursions. Tried to book some excursions on-line and have been told they are already booked full that day. Do the ships keep a certain amount of excursions reserved for their passengers? Is it advisable to go first thing when we get on board to book one from the cruise line? I guess we should have looked into booking our reservations quite a while ago . Thanks for any information.

I would go as soon as you board - not sure if they are open though but they will have a posting as to hours. Many times you can book excursions that say full on line but you book through them. Also, lots of people will book a bunch of excursions and then cancel so they often come up. I haven't yet not been able to get on an excursion I have wanted. Good luck

Which ship? what ports?

Most on here will tell you to book tours not through the ship as they are normally cheaper and less crowded. Go to the ports of call section on cruise critic and look at the ports you are visiting. Lots of info.

Good advice. If a person does a little homework ahead of time and can find shipmates from CC or their dinner table he may be able to negoiate a good deal at the pier with a guy with a Suv for a personal tour. I found that they are more willing to deal as the day slips away so I'd wait a bit before going ashore... Nice rod in your profile. Tell us about it.

When you get aboard, talk to the people who work on the ship. They visit the same ports week after week and know the places to see and reputable local excursion agents. Don't be afraid to get off the beaten path, we had one of our most memorable cruises when an employee told us to grab a cab with some friends and hit a place called "crane beach".... there were no excursions available for it, but it's one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.:)

To add a suggestion into the mix: If you do not book an excursion through the ship, but rather book it elsewhere, you may want to be certain the excursion returns an hour before sailing time. The ship will wait for those who are late returning from an excursion booked through the cruiseline/ship, but they will not wait for those who book an excursion elsewhere--or are delayed before they're having a good time and forget to check the time!! Have a wonderful cruise!!!

They do not hold back spaces for sale onboard of excursions. If they are sold out, they are sold out. Although do keep going back to ones you particularly want- sometimes they open up.

There are many reputable companies who offer excursions in the western Caribbean. Check the ports section here and also on Trip Advisor. The reputable companies will get you back on time if at all possible. Their livelihood is based on this- one excursion that misses the ship will almost certainly put the company out of business, at least as far as working with cruise passengers.

To add a suggestion into the mix: If you do not book an excursion through the ship, but rather book it elsewhere, you may want to be certain the excursion returns an hour before sailing time. The ship will wait for those who are late returning from an excursion booked through the cruiseline/ship, but they will not wait for those who book an excursion elsewhere--or are delayed before they're having a good time and forget to check the time!! Have a wonderful cruise!!!

And remember that you will always be on "Ship Time", not local time.

hi MemawB...Dh and I will be on this cruise with you! woohoo only a couple of weeks to go!! We are just now trying to decide what excursions we want to do, , Thinking about snorkeling in Belize, but not through Carnival...dh has found a similar excursion to Goff Cay for about $20 less per person. Not sure of the company name tho, but we are not stressing out about missing out on anything...as long as we don't miss the boat:eek:

hi MemawB...Dh and I will be on this cruise with you! woohoo only a couple of weeks to go!! We are just now trying to decide what excursions we want to do, , Thinking about snorkeling in Belize, but not through Carnival...dh has found a similar excursion to Goff Cay for about $20 less per person. Not sure of the company name tho, but we are not stressing out about missing out on anything...as long as we don't miss the boat:eek:

Jumping in here for a moment-Goff Caye-absolutely beautiful, but if you book from Carnival you are picked up from the ship(as you tender here) and taken directly to Goff's Caye. If you book a seperate tour company, you take a tender to the port, then pick up your boat in town(waste of time you could be on the island) And when you tender you are called by numbers, if you do not book through Carnival-guess what-you have to wait for the tenders, the first ones are reserved for people who have booked thru Carnival excursions. All that glitters is not gold.

Archived