Best Restaurant for King Crab

eileen11

Not your answer but surprising situation. When we were there last in '99 our bus driver, I believe in Skagway, mentioned that it was their anniversary and she was going to buy king crab for their celebration that nite. I asked her what they pay there, thinking it would be around $5 lb. We saw it on sale the week before leaving at our local Sams for $9.99 lb. She said she paid $20 lb. So much for getting it cheap where it is harvested!! I believe the factory ships catch the crab and fast freeze it on the ship so you may be eating the same king crab you get down here--but at higher prices.

John L.

Just make sure that the crab is fresh, not frozen. There is a huge difference in taste. I'm spoiled in that I live in Oregon where Dungeness crabs are harvested and can get them fresh. I can't stand frozen crab and won't buy it.

Not only is Bruce correct about frozen crab (of any variety), but he forgot to mention that Dungeness TASTES BETTER. Oh, and it's available in Alaska also.

jmo

-Monte

a crab eater since birth

If someone offers you fresh, not frozen King Crab in the summer, don't do it.

The season is Oct-January, in the Kodiak and Bering Sea regions. Last year the average harvest season (different openings in different areas) - the whole season - was 80 to 100 hours. The species have been badly over-fished.

That's why King Crab is very expensive everywhere. Most of the product goes to Japan anyway.

Try the salmon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Crab fishing and feed that is available in Ketchikan provides Dungeness crab, not King Crab and I would assume if you get fresh crab in a restuarant it would be Dungeness. My wife says she can tell the difference in the two but I'm not so sure......I am sure that by the time we head home after a 7 day cruise and 4 days the Kenai Peninsula, we'll have had our fill of fresh seafood. Enjoy...........

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Crab fishing and feed that is available in Ketchikan provides Dungeness crab, not King Crab and I would assume if you get fresh crab in a restuarant it would be Dungeness. My wife says she can tell the difference in the two but I'm not so sure......I am sure that by the time we head home after a 7 day cruise and 4 days the Kenai Peninsula, we'll have had our fill of fresh seafood. Enjoy...........

King Crab - big, thick arms with spikes, very little body/claw meat. Dungeness - thinner, smooth arms, more body/claw meat. You may also get "snow" crab (couple of varieties) - thinner, longer arms.

Not only is Bruce correct about frozen crab (of any variety), but he forgot to mention that Dungeness TASTES BETTER. Oh, and it's available in Alaska also.

jmo

-Monte

a crab eater since birth

I can't believe I forgot that part. Yes, of all the commercially harvested crab, at least of the West coast, Dungeness is best, IMO. I have had Red Rock crab and I liked that even more than Dungeness, but Red Rock isn't harvested commercially, I had to catch it myself. ;) Just another excuse to go diving, like I needed one.

Archived