ES question - Do I have this right?

SpringBreakMom

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, "stateroom category" and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

We are currently booked in category 8M. Catergories 8M and 8N are sold out. Would category 9B have to drop below our current rate to get OBC?

You won't get a price drop if a higher category becomes available at a lower rate and stay in your selected stateroom. However, you should be able to upgrade at no cost to the higher category and then submit the ES form to get the credit for the price difference.

You can only get a credit if the same exact category's price is lower.

I am under the impression that as long as you are trying to get the rate drop/price match to either you category or higher then you can qualify for the OBC and stay in your room if you want. Some choose to take the upgrade as well but I am pretty sure you can stay put and just take the OBC instead of both. Plus this would allow you a better chance to get another price drop if it goes lower b/c if you take the upgrade and the OBC then going forward you are subject to only qualify for the new category and above.

If a higher cat drops below your cat price, then YES, you can stay put and get OBC. That's the reason the Price Protection Form has a spot to checkmark if you'd rather have the upgrade or OBC. But, in this instance, you should be able to upgrade AND get the obc. A win-win to me!:D

If a higher cat drops below your cat price, then YES, you can stay put and get OBC. That's the reason the Price Protection Form has a spot to checkmark if you'd rather have the upgrade or OBC. But, in this instance, you should be able to upgrade AND get the obc. A win-win to me!:D

I agree with the other posters, not necessarily true. Nothing in the terms says this is true. Some have gotten OBC and some denied.

This did not work for us. We had an aft wrap and the category was sold out. All the prices were dropping like stones but we could not get any OBC. The suites above us finally came down a lot and I wanted to stay in the wrap and get the OBC but was denied. We were able to move to the suite and each got $650 in OBC. We like the wrap but could not pass up $1300. It's not like the suite is a bad choice and we've had wraps before and will have them again.

I agree with the other posters, not necessarily true. Nothing in the terms says this is true. Some have gotten OBC and some denied.

My bad, I forgot to add this disclaimer:

*You never know what you'll get because it seems every Carnival employee interprets Carnival policies however they want to, as Carnival doesn't seem to train these folks uniformly and every rule is subject to each Carnival employee's interpretation*

Yes, I'm being kinda sarcastic, but sadly, it's true.:(

Carnival leaves a lot of it's policies vague so they can handle situations as they see fit.

Just like everything else it depends who you talk to at Carnival. If you make a big enough stink and that person has the ability to give you the price reduction they might just do it to get you off the phone.

But, as far as the terms are presented they don't have to do that, so I wouldn't count on it.

I am under the impression that as long as you are trying to get the rate drop/price match to either you category or higher then you can qualify for the OBC and stay in your room if you want. Some choose to take the upgrade as well but I am pretty sure you can stay put and just take the OBC instead of both. Plus this would allow you a better chance to get another price drop if it goes lower b/c if you take the upgrade and the OBC then going forward you are subject to only qualify for the new category and above.

Yes this happened to us. Our option was 1)upgrade or 2)take OBC. Since the cabin on the upgrades were not where we wanted our cabin to be we opted for the OBC and Carnival had no problems giving it to us :)

Archived