Need new Luggage and Carry on

livingskies78

Hello

We are in need of new suitcases, as we have gained three kids. We have to suitcases and lots of school backpacks.

What do you suggest with out breaking the bank, but holds up to many trips.

Next year we will be travelling with (9, 4, 2) kids I figure the 9 and 4 year old can pull there own carry on with their on little back packs

need suitcases and carry on.

Go look at luggage in person, if you have a luggage store close by you can learn a lot from te store clerks, rather than cashiers at department stores.

You can order online, but hte price will be the same and you won't really know what you're getting until it arrives. Recommendations are good, but everyone has differernt needs.

I sell luggage part time and what I would suggest to work well for the kids is rolling duffels. You can get more in a duffel than a suitcase with lighter weight.

There are price points all over the map but I will guarantee the lower priced luggage is also the most cheaply made luggage. You get what you pay for, just like shoes.

I like the Eagle Creek brand. Make sure the luggage is somewhat lightweight to start with.

If you go with rolling duffles, I suggest the Eagle Creek packing cubes. They help organize things. There are also different packing cube brands on the market. Get one that is lightweight and sturdy.

Check out airlines' max sizes for checked & hand luggage, & aim to get close to the max. Especially with hand-luggage - you may find that for some journeys (esp where there's no max weight for hand-luggage) you can make do with hand-luggage only, saving the grief of the carousel & the added luggage charges on budget airlines.

John Bull

Not sure about brand, but go with the suitcases with four wheels rather than the standard two. We just got some and they are WONDERFUL. Especially while staning in lines and queues. Your suitcase stands upright next to you and rolls right along rather than dragging behind you. They are absolutely wonderful. I had no problem walking with two of them at my sides while my husband parked the car.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Four+Wheeled+Suitcases&view=detail&id=820ED57807679F2E5CAD28C07C2E33F7A11A8655&first=31&FORM=IDFRIR

I agree with Eagle Creek - we have the biggest of their "trunk" series. It is huge and nothing ever gets broken because it's easy to pack it all very well. We have 2 actually the biggest and then a medium size one!

just purchased another piece of DELSEY....lightweight and when KOHLS has their sales and then extra % off its very reasonable--my last piece was free with some kohls cash!!

stay away from the 28" suitcases...they do hold alot which is great but when you fly that weight adds up very quickly--recently have gone to the 25" bags--much better weight wise!

I used to try to spend a reasonable amount on luggage but if a piece of luggage suffers from being run over (mine did), an expensive piece is toast too. I just got back from a cruise and didn't realize there was any internal damage to my suitcase until I unzipped it at home and found the frame was bent in a V in one corner. The insides reinforcements of the plasticy-type stuff crumbled into my hand when I touched it. It would have hurt twice as much if it had been expensive...and RCCL's policy is that if you don't see it at the pier and allow someone to examine it before you leave, they can't consider it damaged by them. Try Kohls or Ross' and don't try to impress the dock workers or RCCL staff with a trendy brand. They don't care or even notice. They will run over a designer bag or a cheap piece of luggage without regret.

As a suitcase addict, (I'm always looking for the best suitcase), I just found one at Ross that weighs less than 2 lbs. and it's a 25 inch - cloth w/ recessed wheels. It's a HEYS brand called Extreme Lightweight and was $50.00. Looks well made. It's going on my T/A next month so am anxious to see how it holds up since it will be full of shoes!

Luggageonline.com They have great prices and ALWAYS have sales. We buy Travelpro. That's the brand the pilots and stewardesses use. VERY sturdy!!!

Almost all luggage is always on sale with a few exceptions. They put a manufacturers recommended price on it, then lower that price by 30- 50%.

We price match in our store to any retailer (exception - any auction sites) and rarely have to lower prices. Even other large retailers, such as Macy's, our prices are always the same or lower. The only time we have to price match Macy's is when they have an "extra 10% off" when you use your Macy's card, then we do it as a courtesy.

The reason Travelpro has been carried by pilots and flight attendants is because they either give it to them free or deeply discounted. It's about the same quality as Victorinox. We used to sell it and my manager is trying to get it back again... good product name recognition. I had a piece and liked it well enough, but gave it away a couple years ago.

My almost new EagleCreek bag had its wheel broken by Celebrity bag guys last cruise. Took 20 minutes to find it. It was sitting in an alcove off bag area. Sent it to EC for free new wheel. Lousy wheels. Took a month though. Try Discountluggage.com for a bunch of sites, most with free shipping.

My almost new EagleCreek bag had its wheel broken by Celebrity bag guys last cruise. Took 20 minutes to find it. It was sitting in an alcove off bag areawith shattered whell next to it. Sent it to EC for free new wheel. Lousy wheels. Took a month though. Try Discountluggage.com for a bunch of sites, most with free shipping.

We found Delsey Hyperlite at TJ Maxx. I never shop there, but it was suggested here and we walked right in and found what we wanted!

Ditto--Walmart. Five years ago we bought two American Tourister large suitcases and they are both still fine--just ugly. We are spending a month in Europe and decided that we probably needed to replace them before they bit the dust at a very bad moment!

Make sure to check for the suitcase weight. If it doesn't give the weight, it's probably not your best bet. If a suitcase is light, it will brag about it.

Also, for the first time in 20 years we packed only carry-ons for a 7 day cruise out of Miami. I never thought I could do it, but I did!! We are going to try to cut out one big suitcase on our trip to Europe! What a difference it makes to not lug around all that extra stuff!

Buy cheap because thay all fall apart

They fall apart because they're cheap...:) seriously though - no disrespect meant here.

Our Eagle Creek was expensive but it's been all over the world and has no tears, breaks, rips or anything. You get what you pay for!

I got the deal of the century. I needed a hanging garment bag for our formal clothes. I went to our local 'Goodwill' store just to look around one day. I saw a green tapestry material suitcase sitting in the corner. It was pretty large with 4 wheels. I said to myself that I really didn't need another suitcase but was just curious to see how much it was. When I picked up the tag it said "Garment bag, small, and large case $5.25" I opened it up and sure enough it was all three pieces. The brand is 'DVF' not sure if that is surposed to be a good brand or not but they look really good almost new had a few small pulls in the tapestry but nothing major. For that price I couldn't refuse. Seems to be very well made. The outside pockets have a zipper and a velcro flap. Doesn't seem to be cheaply made at all.

I would go in person to a local store and see what you like then order off line if you can at overstock.com, best prices around and free shipping and returns.

I would stay away from spinner wheels(mine have been broken off from baggage tossing them)

Get the inline wheels.

Newer ones are very light weight.

Rolling duffel would be great for the kids with a small backpack, they can bring them on the plane and hold a lot especially if you stick each days clothes in a zip loc bag. You wont have to worry about them getting thrown around and maybe lost.

get the most lightweight guady bags you can find. then you can find them easily ;). small backpacks are great for carryons for the flight. my bags i bought about 4yrs ago are a red suade material and weigh a ton when i pack my clothes in them, and im a very light packer. they are all beat up and scuffed now and look pretty bad. but i can spot them pretty easily with a bright different colored piece of cloth tied too the handle.

Archived