Warning: Choice Air

surreal

If you are going to book with Choice Air to take advantage of the $500 per person discount from Azamara, understand how the promotion works before you call. I just experienced a phone nightmare lasting for two hours. The Choice Air rep mentioned flying from a "Gateway City". I explained we lived in a small town and had an itinerary all worked out to fly from where we lived. She said she could set that up for me and I exclaimed, "Can I do that?" "Sure," she said. She worked it out (took forever) and asked what I had been quoted by a different company. I told her and after more time on hold, she quoted me a price of $250 higher. I figured with the $1000 savings on the cruise, it was a deal. After the reservation was made and credit card info given, I asked, "How do I get the $1000 reduction from Azamara now?" She replied, "Simple, I'll patch you through to them now." The Azamara rep informed me that since I didn't book through a "Gateway City" I did not qualify for the reduction. After listening to my "venting", she patched me back to Choice Air where I told them to cancel the reservations. They have credited my credit card. There is no doubt in my mind the Choice Air rep understood I was expecting the $1000 reduction even if I was not booking from a Gateway City. I do not recall if I explicitly said this at the beginning of the conversation but it seemed she understood this. I most certainly said it after the booking was done.

I don't understand this as "Choice Air" is just the Azamara/Celebrity/RCCL booking tool. You can (now) go through Azamara website and book your air through Choice Air. Did you book "Cruise Air" instead of Choice Air?

Choice Air gets charged at the time you make the reservation. The biggest downside is that if you have a non-refundable fare that could normally be changed with a fee (plus new fare costs), if you book through Azamara Choice Air (the air gets charged to Azamara not the airline) and cancel your cruise you loose your air. You can not take it with you to use on a land vacation.

They have credited my credit card. There is no doubt in my mind the Choice Air rep understood I was expecting the $1000 reduction even if I was not booking from a Gateway City. I do not recall if I explicitly said this at the beginning of the conversation but it seemed she understood this. I most certainly said it after the booking was done.

At least you got your money back.

I never realized the Choice Air promotion only applied to certain gateways. I think it is because Choice Air is just repackaged consolidator cruise air that they only purchase for these certain cities.

"ChoiceAir Credit (CAC) offers $500 per person ChoiceAir credit for Oceanview, Veranda and Continent Suites, and $1,000 per person ChoiceAir credit for Club World Owner and Ocean suites, is per person, in USD and not redeemable for cash. Use booking code CHS for voyage reservation. Air has to be booked through ChoiceAir. Air credit will be applied against cruise fare after ChoiceAir flights are added to the booking. CAC is not available for 3rd and 4th guest in a stateroom. Certain gateways may not be available on all voyages. Full details available on www.AzamaraClubCruises.com/ChoiceAir. ChoiceAir credit is valid for new individual bookings made in Oceanview, Veranda, or Suite staterooms until June 30, 2011, and are applicable to sailing departing Apr 4 through Oct 15, 2011 (Journey) and May 6 through Nov 17, 2011 (Quest) except black-out dates of May 26 and May 30, 2011 (Journey).

Applicable gateways: ABQ, ATL, BDL, BNA, BOI, BOS, BWI, CHS, CLE, CLT, CMH, CVG, DCA, DEN, DFW, FTW, EWR, GEG, HNL, IAD, IAH, IND, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, LIT, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MFR, MIA, MKE, MSP, MSY, OAK, OKC, OMA, ORD, PBI, PDX, PHL, PHX, PIT, PSP, PVD, RDU, RIC, RNO, RSW, SAN, SAT, SEA, SFO, SJC, SLC, SMF, STL, TPA, TUL, YEG, YHZ, YOW, YQB, YUL, YVR, YWG, YYC, YYZ"

At least you got your money back.

So, if you live in Montana you can not book through the Azamara Choice Air site and get the cruise credit? Are we certain this is just another shoreside rep offering poor customer service?

I believe this issue is related to a special offer that is only offered in conjunction with gateway cities/specific cruises (Celebrity is offering a similar special in conjunction with choice air) as I understood it the deal only applies to flights out of the gateway cities, but has nothing to do with being able to use choice air in general, just with regards to the special offer.

I'm sure this was Choice Air. I was speaking to an Azamara rep about trip insurance and she told me about the $500 per person promotion with Choice Air. I expressed interest and she patched me through to Choice Air. When the rep answered, I asked, "Is this Choice Air and she replied yes. She also sent me an e-mail confirming the reservations. Still haven't gotten any confirmation on the cancelation though. Perhaps I'd better call American Express.

Ok, help me understand. I have seen several posts that say if you cancel your cruise, your air gets cancelled too. How is this possible when I had to pay for my air upfront with my credit card. I beleive that the air reservation now belongs to me. It is showing up on American under MY reservations with my frequent flyer number. Can anyone expound on this? Thanks. - Not planning to cancel, but I just want clarification.

I'm sure this was Choice Air. I was speaking to an Azamara rep about trip insurance and she told me about the $500 per person promotion with Choice Air. I expressed interest and she patched me through to Choice Air. When the rep answered, I asked, "Is this Choice Air and she replied yes. She also sent me an e-mail confirming the reservations. Still haven't gotten any confirmation on the cancelation though. Perhaps I'd better call American Express.

Did you book coach non-refundable tickets? I would call again if you were told they were canceled.

Ok, help me understand. I have seen several posts that say if you cancel your cruise, your air gets cancelled too. How is this possible when I had to pay for my air upfront with my credit card. I beleive that the air reservation now belongs to me. It is showing up on American under MY reservations with my frequent flyer number. Can anyone expound on this? Thanks. - Not planning to cancel, but I just want clarification.

Because, you booked through Azamara. Call your credit card company and ask about the charge and let us know. It was not charged directly to the airline. It might show up under Celebrity or RCCL.

If you cancel your cruise, Azamara does not want to act as travel agent for your air not related to their cruise. If you cancel the air gets canceled too. You can not reuse it for some other dates not related to your cruise. If you have refundable flights you will be reimbursed.

This has nothing to do with whether you will get FFmile points.

No, you do not own your reservation made through Choice Air.

http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/protected/aboutChoiceAir.do

"What happens if a guest with ChoiceAir cancels their cruise?

Guests that cancel their cruise after purchasing ChoiceAir will have their air reservation canceled as well. Their refundable or non-refundable airline ticket will be subject to the rules, conditions and penalties of the airline, based on the specific fare rules."

Did you book coach non-refundable tickets? I would call again if you were told they were canceled.

The tickets were non-refundable but was assured the reservations were cancelled. I contacted American Express and was told to wait 24 to 48 hours for both transactions (the billing and credit) to clear and be visable on their Web site. He said that if Azamara did not credit the billing, I could dispute the charge and American Express would help me resolve the problem. If this drags into a fight with Azamara, we will be canceling the cruise. However, I'm hopeful all is fine and I'll know for sure within a day. They seem like a reputable company who strives to please. Maybe their Choice Air rep was having a real bad day. I'm willing to forget and forgive and enjoy the cruise in September.

If you are going to book with Choice Air to take advantage of the $500 per person discount from Azamara, understand how the promotion works before you call. I just experienced a phone nightmare lasting for two hours. The Choice Air rep mentioned flying from a "Gateway City". I explained we lived in a small town and had an itinerary all worked out to fly from where we lived. She said she could set that up for me and I exclaimed, "Can I do that?" "Sure," she said. She worked it out (took forever) and asked what I had been quoted by a different company. I told her and after more time on hold, she quoted me a price of $250 higher. I figured with the $1000 savings on the cruise, it was a deal. After the reservation was made and credit card info given, I asked, "How do I get the $1000 reduction from Azamara now?" She replied, "Simple, I'll patch you through to them now." The Azamara rep informed me that since I didn't book through a "Gateway City" I did not qualify for the reduction. After listening to my "venting", she patched me back to Choice Air where I told them to cancel the reservations. They have credited my credit card. There is no doubt in my mind the Choice Air rep understood I was expecting the $1000 reduction even if I was not booking from a Gateway City. I do not recall if I explicitly said this at the beginning of the conversation but it seemed she understood this. I most certainly said it after the booking was done.

We have used Choice Air in the past and have just booked with them again to take advantage of the $1000 dollars off our Azamara cruise in July. We are leaving out of Seattle one of the gateway cities. Our cruise reservation with Azamara now has our air listed and the $500 off pp listed. Looks like all went well with ours. What I dont like is that Choice Air cant lock the airfare in until they hit the submit button. We also took advanage of the 50% off our tours we booked online with Azamara. Richard

The way to get around this problem - even if you live in the boonies - is to make your choice air reservation from the nearest gateway city and then book your own air to get from your city to the gateway. This method only works if the air fare to the gateway is less than the $500 credit pp.

Well, my credit card was charged by Azamara for my Choice Air. The way Choice Air was explained to me was that they are like an Expedia, Orbitz, or any other online travel agency. I still don't see how they have the right to cancel your air if you cancel your cruise and not fully refund you the money if they are not going to let you keep your air reservation. Makes absolutely no sense. I am interning in a travel agency. I am going to ask my boss about the legality of this practice and if the ARC allows this. Seems just wrong to me. Again, I am not planning to cancel, but I covered my tickets under my trip insurance policy so I would be covered in the event I did need to cancel.

UDATE: My credit card was not showing a credit yet and I was getting suspicious. I decided to call Choice Air. The rep assured me the flights were cancelled and any changes would be reflected in my cruise confirmation. I replied that the only one I received was the one sent immediately after the air booking before I cancelled and asked to have my credit card credited. She said she would send the updated one. Got it within a minute. First thing I noticed was the amount owed was over $3000 less than before! Hmmmm. What the orginal rep did was apply the cost of the air fare to the balance of the cruise which was something I told her not to do. Welllllll, my wife and I talked it over and decided we are going on the cruise so the money can stay there. We just booked air with Delta.com so all is well (I hope) :-)

Well, my credit card was charged by Azamara for my Choice Air. The way Choice Air was explained to me was that they are like an Expedia, Orbitz, or any other online travel agency. I still don't see how they have the right to cancel your air if you cancel your cruise and not fully refund you the money if they are not going to let you keep your air reservation. Makes absolutely no sense. I am interning in a travel agency. I am going to ask my boss about the legality of this practice and if the ARC allows this. Seems just wrong to me. Again, I am not planning to cancel, but I covered my tickets under my trip insurance policy so I would be covered in the event I did need to cancel.

I spoke with Choice Air today and was told if you cancel the cruise a) if the air is refundable you get your money back and b) if non-refundable you have the option of canceling the cruise and keeping the air if you wish as you have already purchased it.

I spoke with Choice Air today and was told if you cancel the cruise a) if the air is refundable you get your money back and b) if non-refundable you have the option of canceling the cruise and keeping the air if you wish as you have already purchased it.

That is not my understanding and not what is on the web site. I would get it in writing.

Perhaps RCCL has started to run into problems and decided to make this change.

The problem, as one example, is if you cancel you cruise, switch to Oceania and now Azamara is the TA you need to contact if you have a problem getting to your Oceania cruise....You can not make ANY changes to your air without going through Azamara/Choice Air.

Just backing Jade13 up on this one.

I think anyone that is considering Choice Air, should get whatever is told to them in writing. If info is on the AZ website, print it out PRIOR to booking your Choice Air...then read it and read it several more times...Just like you were focusing on a Math word problem for a SAT that will determine if you get into MIT or go to a Junior College. After you've done that, keep it with your trip planning documents.

Never, ever assume that the agent (whether direct or through a travel agent) understands this Choice air 110%

Choice Air can be very tempting and beneficial when everything lines up perfectly.

However, travel is not a precise science and crap happens through no fault of your own and despite your best intentions.

I'm a strong believer in CYA!

That is not my understanding and not what is on the web site. I would get it in writing.

The problem, as one example, is if you cancel you cruise, switch to Oceania and now Azamara is the TA you need to contact if you have a problem getting to your Oceania cruise....You can not make ANY changes to your air without going through Azamara/Choice Air.

I will call tomorrow and run that scenario by them. I am not doubting you Jade, but I am trying to get the policies straight in my head so I know what I am getting into. I am looking at flights next year to Buenos Aries.

I will call tomorrow and run that scenario by them. I am not doubting you Jade, but I am trying to get the policies straight in my head so I know what I am getting into. I am looking at flights next year to Buenos Aries. The info I got was the same as the OP got on the X board re Choice Air.

UDATE: My credit card was not showing a credit yet and I was getting suspicious. I decided to call Choice Air. The rep assured me the flights were cancelled and any changes would be reflected in my cruise confirmation. I replied that the only one I received was the one sent immediately after the air booking before I cancelled and asked to have my credit card credited. She said she would send the updated one. Got it within a minute. First thing I noticed was the amount owed was over $3000 less than before! Hmmmm. What the orginal rep did was apply the cost of the air fare to the balance of the cruise which was something I told her not to do. Welllllll, my wife and I talked it over and decided we are going on the cruise so the money can stay there. We just booked air with Delta.com so all is well (I hope) :-)

Yes, the air becomes part of your total cruise fare as one total with the amount of the air purchased showing as a credit on the total amount of your cruise fare and airfare booked through Azamara.

So, they decided not to credit your $3,000.00 (to your credit card) but put it towards your cruise fare?

Yes, the air becomes part of your total cruise fare as one total with the amount of the air purchased showing as a credit on the total amount of your cruise fare and airfare booked through Azamara.

So, they decided not to credit your $3,000.00 (to your credit card) but put it towards your cruise fare?

Yes they did. What bothers me is the fact that the Rep asked if I wanted my credit card credited or apply the amount to my cruise fare. I replied, "Credit my credit card." After she said it had been done, I asked, "Are you sure that you credited my credit card with $3330.96? She said, "Yes." We're going anyway so no money lost but I'm distrustful toward Choice Air and will not do business with them in the future.

We are new to Azamara and this may have been covered before. I apologize if so.

On Choice Air, if you choose not to take it, do you get an airfare credit like other lines such as Oceania and Regent give? Or, are you just paying the rate shown and only get a reduction if you use their air? The air is not convenient for us and is significantly higher than what we could book ourselves. Could someone please clarify?

I hate to pay a higher cruise rate just because I don't use their airline.

Thanks

We are new to Azamara and this may have been covered before. I apologize if so.

On Choice Air, if you choose not to take it, do you get an airfare credit like other lines such as Oceania and Regent give? Or, are you just paying the rate shown and only get a reduction if you use their air? The air is not convenient for us and is significantly higher than what we could book ourselves. Could someone please clarify?

I hate to pay a higher cruise rate just because I don't use their airline.

Thanks

gr8lakes, no, and that is our argument with Azamara. And, believe me we have tried. Because the air has to be paid at the time you book it, the discount is taken off of the cruise fare and not the airfare. For some the discount is $1,000.00 per person, or $2,000.00 for the stateroom.

I think Azamara should rethink this promotion. But, up until now based on the responses, you are the first one I have seen posting on these boards that has the same issue. Note this promo is only affecting those in the US as those in the UK and Australia usually have a package with "FREE" (included air). Unfortunately Choice Air issues have not affected as many people as the issue with the shore excursion "fiasco", at least on these boards. I acually think more people do not know about it, so do not know the discount that they missed.

Btw, what type of discount does Oceania give if you do not take their air on an international flight?

Thanks.

Archived