Warning: Choice Air

surreal

I thought you booked the cruise when the $500.00 OBC was available?
The cruise we're considering has never had OBC attached to it nor has it been part of the Choice Air promo. We would need some such incentive to bring the current per diems more in line with our perceived value of AZ. At this point, there's no advantage to us in booking early so we'll just wait and see. In the meantime, we've booked several cruises on other lines where we're more sure of the process.

In Ontario, we have an organization called TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario) that regulates travel retailers and wholesalers in Ontario. If booking travel with any agent or agency registered with TICO, there is a travel compensation fund to compensate travellers in the event of a bankruptcy or insolvency. This agency is a travel wholesaler registered with TICO. If I booked directly with Azamara and Azamara declared bankruptcy I would get nothing in compensation. There is absolutely no similarity between the Canadian Air Transat company and this American company that you are talking about. The price they charged is exactly the same price listed on the Azamara website. I didn't choose them (actually my travel agent chose them) because they were cheaper, it's because it's safer.

In Ontario, we have an organization called TICO (Travel Industry Council of Ontario) that regulates travel retailers and wholesalers in Ontario. If booking travel with any agent or agency registered with TICO, there is a travel compensation fund to compensate travellers in the event of a bankruptcy or insolvency. This agency is a travel wholesaler registered with TICO. If I booked directly with Azamara and Azamara declared bankruptcy I would get nothing in compensation. There is absolutely no similarity between the Canadian Air Transat company and this American company that you are talking about. The price they charged is exactly the same price listed on the Azamara website. I didn't choose them (actually my travel agent chose them) because they were cheaper, it's because it's safer.

I just wanted to clarify that your payment went to this company (charged on your credit card) and not directly to the cruise line, correct?

• 4 weeks later...

We are checking out an AZ cruise from RIO to Barbados Feb. 2012. I want to use FF points for 1st class on the long pre cruise flight from EWR to RIO pre cruise. My understanding is that one can't use FF points in conjunction with a booking through Choice Air. If booking only the one-way return flight through Choice Air, can we apply the $500 pp Choice Air credit to that flight from Barbados to EWR (gateway city)?

We are checking out an AZ cruise from RIO to Barbados Feb. 2012. I want to use FF points for 1st class on the long pre cruise flight from EWR to RIO pre cruise. My understanding is that one can't use FF points in conjunction with a booking through Choice Air. If booking only the one-way return flight through Choice Air, can we apply the $500 pp Choice Air credit to that flight from Barbados to EWR (gateway city)?

That is an interesting question.

Additionally, a one way flight from Barbados to EWR might not even be $500.00. Until recently, most airline awards had to be booked round trip (American has always been an exception). Maybe they woud give you half of the credit? Or, maybe you are required to book a roundtrip ticket. Let us know what you find out.

Good news!!! Just got off the phone with Choice Air. She informed me that even when only a one-way fare is required, the Choice Air Cruise Credit can still be applied. To use the total value of the credit, we will consider business class.

We have always booked our own air in the past but for our upcoming trip we have booked the Choice Air in order to receive the fare reduction on the cruise. I think Azamara is using this not so much to "hook us into using Choice Air" as an attempt to maintain the new price points they have set for their cruises. As far as I can tell there has been little discounting of the new higher prices, instead various promos (OBCs, 50% shore excursions, and the Choice Air cruise credit). For us it seems to have been a "no brainer" - the Choice Air fare we got was the same as the best posted rate on Delta - we got the flights we wanted, FF miles will be accrued and $1000 credited to our cruise fare. Now hopefully the rest will go off without a hitch. But I do think the promo is a bit unfair for those who for one reason or another can not take advantage of it. It is essentially a reduction in the price of the cruise and there is not a credit for "Free Air" like other lines use.

Hi, We mostly book our own air, but with the proms it was a good deal. We got good flights and times. We leave out of Seattle. We booked the cruise while onboard Celebrity. We also took advanage of the 50% off tours. We are happy with the bottom line that we paid for this cruise. Richard

Archived