Amazing Race excursion in Cozumel

vacation dreaming

I did it with my two adult sons and DIL. There were no other teams competing against us, and at first we deceided to do kids vs parents, but the kids were kicking our butts, so we teamed up and finished together. We all thought it was a lot of fun. You got to do and see things you would normally not, there was even an underwater adventure. I'll bet your teens would love it.

I did it with my two adult sons and DIL. There were no other teams competing against us, and at first we deceided to do kids vs parents, but the kids were kicking our butts, so we teamed up and finished together. We all thought it was a lot of fun. You got to do and see things you would normally not, there was even an underwater adventure. I'll bet your teens would love it.

Well that sound fun.

It was fun, good and wholesome fun. And they took us to a restaurant afterwards where lunch was on your own for the awards ceremony, but since we were the only team, we won all the awards. Didn't matter, we had fun getting to know Scott, an American who has moved to Cozumel, and the rest of his staff.

OBTW, lunch was pretty good.

My husband and son did it on our cruise in November and had a great time. My son was really into the "race" aspect so they finished quickly but my husband said it was a great way to see/experience the island. I think there's even an opportunity to go snorkeling.

I did it in September with my DH, my brother, sister in law and two friends. There were 3 or 4 other teams. It was a blast. I loved it. The locals will help you and say your doing good you winning..haha. The people who run it our very nice and professional. I would do it again in a heartbeat. When you finish you end up at a local restaurant and you have an awards ceremony. I can't remember if food was included I'm thinking not. But we did eat and have some margarittas. Very very good.

We did it last year on our Glory cruise. We are huge Amazing Race fans, and it was every bit as fun as we thought it would be.

The clues are mostly intellectually based, but the physical aspect involves running about 5 miles. We had several teams playing (maybe 10?), and we had my hubby and me (in our 40's), and our three kids, who were 13, 16, and 17 at the time. Probably the coolest part of it (for us anyway) was the amount of interaction it provides with the local Cozumel residents. As you are literally running down the street, people will yell and point and encourage you from the doorways of their businesses. It also requires you to involve yourself with locals at many of the clue spots. You cover a huge portion of Cozumel while racing. Lunch was at a local restaurant. It was good, but is not included in the excursion price. We were HUNGRY by then, as we raced hard! They give our medals to the top three teams.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, if the clues were different. It wouldn't be fair to do it twice otherwise. When we arrived in Cozumel, we had a good hour or so to kill, and had a taxi drive us around, showing us the town. This (unintentionally) helped us quite a bit, as we had the lay of the land, and had actually spotted some of the locations we would have to visit without realizing it. There was also plenty of time afterward to get some shopping in, and we knew where to go, thanks to the race.

The organizers were awesome, super friendly. Can't remember their names, but I think I mentioned them in my Glory review last year. If you are adventurous, and like physical activities and interacting with locals, then you would probably really enjoy the race! :)

We did this excursion in February while on the Dream. It was myself (43), DH (43), and our three kids who were 14, 13 and 11. It was, by far, our favorite excursion (and only our kids watch the show)! It was so much fun racing through the streets of Cozumel searching for clues. We competed against 7 other teams. You end in a local restaurant. Chips, salsa and two free drinks per person was included. If you wanted lunch, it was at your own expense. I would definitely recommend it!

I have searched for these answers and can't find them.

Is there time to go to a beach after?

Some say a cab is provided back to the ship but you can also stay longer and they pay for a later cab?

Do they have a minimum and maximum amount of groups?

Do you carry around your stuff like towels ect?

Thanks!!

Depending on when your ship leaves, there should be time afterwards, also depending on what beach you want to go to. The one right at the pier is fine.

Don't know the answer to the cab question. We took it back and hung at the pier shops and restaurants.

Apparently, they don't need a minimum since the day we did the race, our family were the only one's signed up.

I believe you will have to carry your stuff with you.

Someone also asked what you see, there is a museum, a local market and just small things that you might never notice. But it's also about the things you do, which if I told you everything, would give away the clues.:p

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think you can book on your own thru the company. Google amazing cozumel race. I think we paid $84/pp thru RCCL...included transportation from the pier to the town where the race started and back to the pier. The whole excursion was about 4 hours. Halfway thru you go on a boat to get a clue and drinks are provided on there...beer, soda, water. The race ends up in an open air mexican cafe where you get 2 drinks each and chips/salsa. You can buy lunch if you want. They do the awards ceremony there. First 3 teams with the shortest time win medals. We came in 4th :eek: It was a blast :D:);)

There are 5 of us who were interested in doing the race. We are big fans of The Amazing Race on TV, but $84 each??? $420 for the privelege of running in the heat seems a bit too much, considering that a couple of us might have to "wimp out" mid-race if the heat is excessive... we will be there in July so I think we will have to pass on this :(. Too bad.

Archived