Cave Tubing ??

lindan1020

Ok...we did the cave tubing before-a few years ago. We had a great time--our second favorite excursion we have ever done. We are booked to do it again in June. I don't know why, but I've gotten paranoid about the water. Anybody have any bad-unusual-strange experience with anything?

Depending on how long ago you did it, the system has changed. You used to free float on your own down the river, now you are joined in a human chain with a guide leading the chain. They are very strict about making sure there are enough guides for the number of tubers.

We went cave tubing in Jan. The company we used allowed us to free float down the river. We saw many others in the "tube chains" that were mentioned. I see pros and cons for both ways. Our group was fairly small and we had 3 guides that went with us. It was Jan, so we were told the water was low and didn't have as much current as during the rainy season. That was okay by me, it was a very enjoyable trip and very beautiful. The water was fine!!

We booked this excursion coming up in May, mainly because there wasn't much else to do in Belize that sounded half interesting. My question is, when I hear how it was the best excursion... what was so good about it? Just curious and would like to know your take.

Is it really that fun?

We went in late June last year and the water was cool, the weather very warm, and it was shallow. "Butts up" was a constant, lol.

I may be in the minority here but it was not my favorite excursion. I told my husband that I won't do it ever again. I found it dark, hard to see what the guide was showing us and the walk through hornets nests kind of freaked me out. We hit buzzing stinging bugs every few yards.

We booked this excursion coming up in May, mainly because there wasn't much else to do in Belize that sounded half interesting. My question is, when I hear how it was the best excursion... what was so good about it? Just curious and would like to know your take.

Is it really that fun?

It's cool, see some of the jungle, the caves are really neat and it's relaxing. I mean, it's more of an outdoors excursion, so if you're used to 'city tour + shopping' tours it might not be for you, but we had a blast.

I liked it because if is far from being touristy. It gives you a true feeling of how the locals live. The rain forest is beautiful and it is amazing that these caves were found just by the local kids hanging out. We went with a local tour in which they let you float down the river AFTER you go thru the caves........and the local people made us lunch......they actually cook their food over a wood fire all day.....no gas, no propane, no charcoal...

If you are into touristy resorts with pretty pools and diamonds international......this tour is not for you. If you want to see how the rest of the real world lives, how humble the people are, have a relaxing day floating on the river and eating yummy food and drinking local beers.....this tour is for you.

We went in late June last year and the water was cool, the weather very warm, and it was shallow. "Butts up" was a constant, lol.

I may be in the minority here but it was not my favorite excursion. I told my husband that I won't do it ever again. I found it dark, hard to see what the guide was showing us and the walk through hornets nests kind of freaked me out. We hit buzzing stinging bugs every few yards.

Sorry I have to agree I didn't like it either! The ride there was to long and our group was to large so walking through the jungle we had no idea what anything was, it was hot and carring the tubes was a pain. We were linked together and the darkness freaked me out. I don't like sitting in water I can't see what is swimming near me. I also am not a fan of bats. We were not able to really enjoy the open part either as some groups were allowed to use a rope swing but our guide would not let us. The lunch was Ok but for some reason we had to eat it on our bus.Sorry it is just my opinion I'm not slaming the excursion I think it was interesting but maybe not what I expected. I guess it was my fault I thought it would have been more like the river tubing we did in Jamacia. That was FUN

Ok...we did the cave tubing before-a few years ago. We had a great time--our second favorite excursion we have ever done. We are booked to do it again in June. I don't know why, but I've gotten paranoid about the water. Anybody have any bad-unusual-strange experience with anything?

I must admit>>> I am so afraid that there will be snakes in the water that I am afraid to do it..has anyone ever experienced snakes??

I liked it because if is far from being touristy. It gives you a true feeling of how the locals live. The rain forest is beautiful and it is amazing that these caves were found just by the local kids hanging out. We went with a local tour in which they let you float down the river AFTER you go thru the caves........and the local people made us lunch......they actually cook their food over a wood fire all day.....no gas, no propane, no charcoal...

If you are into touristy resorts with pretty pools and diamonds international......this tour is not for you. If you want to see how the rest of the real world lives, how humble the people are, have a relaxing day floating on the river and eating yummy food and drinking local beers.....this tour is for you.

Would you mind sharing which tour group you booked with..??

Is it really that fun?

Ok-when I said it was my second favorite I was forgetting the long ride there and back---and the hike through the rainforest in your bathing suit carrying an inner tube.:eek: That kinda takes it down a bit but it was still alot of fun and we are looking forward to doing it again. The ride and walk is a good opportunity to see the country and we had a good tour guide that was entertaining and informative. The walk isn't that bad--good exercise to burn off some that extra food from the ship!

Thank you all.... I love tubing in general (I'm not the froo-froo type) but my only thought was how low the water was (from posts I've been reading) and would it be any fun floating along in about a foot of water?... I'm used to small rapids, lots of water and that kind of tubing! I agree, the jungle and getting into Belize to see some REAL part of Belize is worth the trip.

Thanks again - I feel better about it!:D

I'm thinking of booking that excursion too but have a few questions?

Are there any kind of creepy crawly creatures in the water that will glide by you?

Do you have to jump off cliff to get into the tubes? I do not like that idea.

How long are you in the dark caves for?

I'm thinking of booking that excursion too but have a few questions?

Are there any kind of creepy crawly creatures in the water that will glide by you?

Do you have to jump off cliff to get into the tubes? I do not like that idea.

How long are you in the dark caves for?

I went with .bz. No cliff to jump off! That's only for fun at the end; no one in my party did it because the river just didn't seem deep enough to be safe.

Saw no creepy crawlies in the water; how ever, our guide at one point held a tarantula and let people hold it. You didn't have to, but you could've!

the caves are well lit with everyones lights on. The 1st cave wasnt too long, if you looked back or forward, youcould always see the light at the end of the tunnel! The second cave was much longer, but at a couple points along the way, there was openings to the outside world! Not scare for me or my 2 munchkins at all!

Archived