Victoria pier cab boycott

For anyone who is planning to take a cab from the pier in Victoria you may want to have a backup plan. I recently checked to find out if the cab boycott was still on but couldn't find any updates so thought it had ended. WRONG...it's still on with "no end in sight"! It has to do with the $200 fee they have to pay to pick up cruise passengers for the short Alaska season. :(

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/04/victoria-british-columbia-cruise-ship-port-taxi-boycott/167654/1?csp=Travel

Here is an article from yesterday's Victoria's Times Colonist. I am inclined to think that the matter will be resolved before long, the taxi industry can't afford to loose this kind of business. In the meantime CVS Cruise Victoria offers a shuttle service from the pier to downtown for $8 pp rtn or passengers can just step outside the terminal gates and take the bus downtown for $2.50 ($1.65 if you are a senior) each way...the fare must be paid in Canadian funds. Downtown Victoria is an easy 20 min level walk from the the cruise port.

http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/Victoria+taxi+drivers+stand+firm+Ogden+Point+quarrel/4679429/story.html

Here is an article from yesterday's Victoria's Times Colonist. I am inclined to think that the matter will be resolved before long, the taxi industry can't afford to loose this kind of business. In the meantime CVS Cruise Victoria offers a shuttle service from the pier to downtown for $8 pp rtn or passengers can just step outside the terminal gates and take the bus downtown for $2.50 ($1.65 if you are a senior) each way...the fare must be paid in Canadian funds. Downtown Victoria is an easy 20 min level walk from the the cruise port.

http://www.timescolonist.com/travel/Victoria+taxi+drivers+stand+firm+Ogden+Point+quarrel/4679429/story.html

Thanks for that info & hope it gets solved soon. We won't do like last June on our Seattle r/t Alaskan cruise & eat at the Crown Grill before walking into town. We had late dining & decided to eat at 6:00 before walking into town...too much food for a walk all the way to town. Normally it's no problem & we walk a lot so won't have a big meal before our upcoming day in Victoria. :p

A Victoria poster has been in touch with Blue Bird cabs and evidently cabs are available just outside of the terminal gates...no big deal.

Thanks again. :)

Our plans are to either walk or use the shuttle to get into Victoria to take the public bus to Butchart Gardens. It appears that it may also be possible to begin our journey just outside the pier area although there may be so many others doing the same thing that it could be better in downtown...after a walk or a shuttle bus ride.

I'm sure there are those who are planning to use taxis so wanted to give them a warning about the situation.

Thanks again. :)

Our plans are to either walk or use the shuttle to get into Victoria to take the public bus to Butchart Gardens. It appears that it may also be possible to begin our journey just outside the pier area although there may be so many others doing the same thing that it could be better in downtown...after a walk or a shuttle bus ride.

I'm sure there are those who are planning to use taxis so wanted to give them a warning about the situation.

No need to walk into town. Just step just outside the cruise terminal, and the bus stop (don't even cross the street), grab a #30 or #31 bus which will take you all the way to Royal Oak Exchange, where you can transfer to the bus to Butchart Gardens (#75 IIRC).

I know that Astro Flyer tends to be a Princess cruiser. So as both the Golden and the Sapphire only arrive in Victoria at 7pm, I would be extremely guarded about taking transit out to Butchart Gardens, the service is rather sporadic in the evening hours.

No need to walk into town. Just step just outside the cruise terminal, and the bus stop (don't even cross the street), grab a #30 or #31 bus which will take you all the way to Royal Oak Exchange, where you can transfer to the bus to Butchart Gardens (#75 IIRC).

Thanks 'scottbee' for confirming that bus routing which was what we also received from BG but wasn't sure about beginning it near the port. :)

I know that Astro Flyer tends to be a Princess cruiser. So as both the Golden and the Sapphire only arrive in Victoria at 7pm, I would be extremely guarded about taking transit out to Butchart Gardens, the service is rather sporadic in the evening hours.

Our upcoming Sapphire cruise is from LA to Vancouver so we're in Victoria from 0800 until 2400 so time shouldn't be an issue for our upcoming cruise.

Our upcoming Sapphire cruise is from LA to Vancouver so we're in Victoria from 0800 until 2400 so time shouldn't be an issue for our upcoming cruise.

Transit won't be an issue for you then, there will be some others using it as well. I just get nervous about recommending transit to people who only are in Victoria for the evening hours. We are coming up on the Golden and then joining the Sapphire to go all the way to Seattle;) so we will likely pass one another in Canada Place.

Transit won't be an issue for you then, there will be some others using it as well. I just get nervous about recommending transit to people who only are in Victoria for the evening hours. We are coming up on the Golden and then joining the Sapphire to go all the way to Seattle;) so we will likely pass one another in Canada Place.

Thanks again for sharing your insights & I agree with you about transportation recommendations. We have the Princess BG/Butterfly Gardens booked as a backup plan but it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem with public transportation so will probably go for that option. My wife loves such gardens (spent hours in Holland's Keukenhof) & the Princess tour only allows 1 hour for each one...not enough for her! :p

Have a great cruise on the Golden & the Sapphire...we enjoy both of them. :)

Thanks 'scottbee' for confirming that bus routing which was what we also received from BG but wasn't sure about beginning it near the port. :)

Literally right outside the port entrance, don't even cross the street. This map should help

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.41694,-123.382344&spn=0.009627,0.022595&z=16

Archived