does the Carnival Dream always skip Roatan?

clarkie138

i went there on the Glory and for your sake, i hope you do get to go. i loved it there and the beach was great!

edit: just curious why people are missing that port? it's not a tendered port

Many ports get missed for various reasons....

We have missed Grand Cayman a couple of times....Grand Turk a couple of times....San Juan...etc.

I really try to emphasize to new folks that ask me about cruising that ports are not guaranteed.

Personally, I think that Carnival had to make some concessions when they built the new pier (to preserve the area) that makes docking more difficult than other ports.

There are wrecks etc that have to be avoided when the ship enters the area and from what I understand that can be tricky.

Was the new area worth the concession? We have not been back since the new dock was built...but from what I hear everyone loves it.

We made it last week on the Dream. however we did find out after we got off that we were lucky, because the winds the night before were high and there was talk we would miss the port. From what I have been told the Dream misses the port due to high winds, the channel to get in is small.

Hope you don't miss the port we loved it!

Well as long as you can find a way to control weather (mainly wind) then you will have the best chance of getting in to Roatan when You sail.

Otherwise just have to keep those fingers and toes crossed for favorable conditions for arrival.

Good Luck. Hope you do get in there.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to cross everything I possibly can, lol. I really want to go there. I read a review that said a waiter told someone he was on the ship for 3 months and had only stopped at Roatan twice. yikes! but I know you can't predict mother nature. So I just won't buy any advance excursions for that port, lol

As long as you do your excursions thru CCL then if you miss the port you will get full refund. Happened to us in Grand Cayman ship made it in but water too rough for Stingray swim. Full refund no worries if through CCL.

We were on the Dream in Feb and stopped in Rotan. It was great. But the ship literally stops out in the ocean, turns 180 degrees and backs into the narrow channel to dock. I understand that if it is windy, they can't turn the ship around safely.

As long as you do your excursions thru CCL then if you miss the port you will get full refund. Happened to us in Grand Cayman ship made it in but water too rough for Stingray swim. Full refund no worries if through CCL.

I did the stingray swim quite a few years ago and I'll just say it was definitely an experience. I hope you get a second chance at it someday soon.

I also missed curaco once due to a hurricane. But in my 6 cruises that is the only time it happened.

A few weeks ago someone on either John's Facebook page or blog asked this same question. He responded that to his knowledge this had only happened one time. Does not sound like a common occurance in Roatan to me, but what do I know, I could be wrong.

LHP, I was there first week of March, It is a very impressive pier and shopping area. It is short walk up the hill to catch taxis or other transportion to see the island. For some people that is a problem as Carnival will not allow private taxis to pick up passangers at the terminal area. I spent the day at the Carnival private beach and had very fine beach day indeed. I would recommend getting there as early as possible to get a nice shaddy spot.

We are on the Dream in October and I really hope we make it too. I can't help but think that the miss ratio is somewhat exaggerated. I know it is pretty narrow channel based on the pics in a review a month or so back.

If anyone reading this thread actually missed it can you post when it was?

"He responded that to his knowledge this had only happened one time." I was thinking it was really only like twice or three at the most...

Week of April 2-9, missed it! If we couldn't get in on the way the weather appeared that day, it apparantly doesn't take much to call it off.

I was on the Dream that week and I thought it was very windy with large swells. After seeing what the ship had to do last year to get in I understand the captains decision.

We made it 2 out of 3 tries. Once not at all due to wind and second time we were unable to go into Mahogany Bay due to wind but also got to dock at Coxen Hole as there was no RCCL ship that day. The third time....different cruise line and we made it. It's a great port!

(edit: None of ours were on the Dream.)

We are going in Sept... and Roatan was where we were going to do a swim with the dolphins excursion..... wondering now if we should book it in another port.. its one excursion we don't want to miss.

That's why we booked dolphins in Cozumel. I was worried we might miss Roatan, and Cozumel is early enough in the trip to book dolphins elsewhere if we missed Cozumel for some odd reason.

We did not miss Roatan, but I was glad to have the dolphin excursion completed since we had told the kids about it and we all would have been disappointed to miss it.

If you book a trip with Victor Bodden, they don't charge you up front and if the boat misses the port, they won't charge you at all. I booked with them for September. They don't ask for a Credit Card, you pay when to get there.

Archived