Cruisers1975 are back! - This time on Silver Shadow

Cruisers1975

:eek:

Finally! An audience with a sense of humor. I swear, if I checked in again tonight and found more grumblers, I was just going to quit posting. And that would mean, you would never hear of The Most Fanstastic Two Days Ever - and the ultimate Class Act that is Silversea.

Details at 11.

IF ONLY !!

Day 6 – May 2 – Dalian, China

Forgot to mention that yesterday, as the ship is only half full, all guests were offered an open house tour of the suites, all except the top of the line Royal Suite, which was occupied. Very comfortable “private apartments”!

Quick breakfast again at the Terrace Café. Still haven’t, and probably never will, try The Restaurant for breakfast, as it doesn’t start serving till 8:00AM. As we are usually up by 5AM or earlier, that would be more like lunch! However, the omelets and oatmeal from the Terrace are all we need.

We have docked now in Dalian. All passengers AND crew must disembark and pass through customs. An unsmiling pair of Chinese army officers welcome us through the process, but it goes without hitch, and we are quickly onto our tour bus and off to visit this modern city, established in 1899 by Russians, ceded to the Japanese in 1904, and eventually coming into Chinese control after the Second World War. We opted for the City Tour with Home Visit, central to which was a visit to a kindergarten that, while it sounded pretty corny, was very moving and entertaining. Even J, who publicly and proudly admits to not liking children, was moved.

Then we split our tour bus into three groups of twelve and visited three apartments. We met a retired couple who have been welcoming foreign visitors into their modest apartment for 30 years, and event that was celebrated during our visit by a local television team. Discovered that Mr Wang was a retired railroad engineer, and as he had just sung a song of welcome to us, our group of 12 started singing I’ve Been Working on the Railroad (all the way to Dinah Won’t You Blow!) for Mr & Mrs Wang. It was a moving, and beautiful moment, ending with kisses and photos all around.

The tour was operated tightly on schedule, with two guides all the time (and a third for the home visit), in a clean and comfortable bus. There was a 20-minute stop at the (now luxury provisioned) Friendship Store, but certainly no feeling of a forced stop at a souvenir stand, serape shop, papyrus museum, or wooden shoe factory so common on these excursions.

Lunch, back in time for the Pool Café, which was no problem as it’s the best lunch on board. Had grilled chicken sandwich this time, with shrimp cocktail. Jumbo shrimp, pardon the oxymoron.

Then, after a quick nap, off to Team Trivia. Our team has grown to ten participants, clearly The Most Ten Funnest People on Board. Even CD has warmed to our team, slipping us answers. Tsk! Wasn’t enough, though. We came in second.

Now, it’s two days – two of the most fantastic days – later, not to mention that I am, of course plowed under with Champagne (as one is, on Silversea), so pardon me if I miss a factoid or two.

After Trivia, we gossiped a while until the bars opened again, and then dropped into our local, The Lampadina. The Suits began arriving shortly, of course, so we felt we had to go change. It is Formal Night. This is really getting tedious, by the way. Let me summarize just how tedious:

Silversea: We have TWO complaints: Formal Nights and Third Pour Champagne. And you know what, we’re not going to stop complaining about those two issues. The Third Pours we have managed to simply and boorishly bowl over: When we are given a short pour, we simply ask, fill it up, please. Sometimes there is a language problem with this phrase, so hand gestures work. And persistence. Eventually, Voila! a correct pour.

By now, it’s dinner at The Restaurant and we ask again for a Large Table, and our maître ‘d (Marcello, the sweetest guy ever) while determined to satisfy, yet none being available that are going begging for two add-ons, graciously starts one just for us. Ian the Lecturer is standing nearby, so he joins us. Shortly thereafter, an apology arrives at the table about being unable to fill it, but we were having too good a time with Ian to worry any longer.

After dinner, a little more admiration of a particular Juan Miró that may end up in our luggage. Tell me, I think there are not duties on genuine artworks, right? God, I hope not!

So, as again Our Local is locked up, we retire. Big Day tomorrow!!

Thanks for the updates: we'll be on the Shadow in 10 days so we really appreciate reading about your experiences. The "third pour champagne" will be an issue for us as well - last time we were on board it took a couple of days for the bar staff to learn that I expected a full pour of Champagne to match my wife's Kir Royale (which always came with a full pour).

We enjoy dressing up so formal nights aren't a problem for us.

If your cruise is only half full I wonder what our Seoul to Anchorage trip will be like?

Thanks for the updates: we'll be on the Shadow in 10 days so we really appreciate reading about your experiences. The "third pour champagne" will be an issue for us as well - last time we were on board it took a couple of days for the bar staff to learn that I expected a full pour of Champagne to match my wife's Kir Royale (which always came with a full pour).

We enjoy dressing up so formal nights aren't a problem for us.

If your cruise is only half full I wonder what our Seoul to Anchorage trip will be like?

Well you wont be alone.Although I am a first time poster I am rojaan19's worse half!

And cruiser I have warmed to your comments and finding them helpful.

Day 7 – May 2 – Beijing, China

Arrival alongside the most modern and impressive cruise terminal we have ever seen. So different from our view at Dalian, a photo so ugly that we deleted it lest it cause the confiscation of our entire camera. However, here, incredibly beautiful and spacious – despite the fact there is only one ship in port and frankly, not that crowded with ships at any time. There is one (only one) “jetway” just like in modern airports, which means we can disembark from the main (5th) deck and no stairs to navigate. Of course there are the unsmiling Chinese military to make sure we have our photocopies of our passports and aren’t smuggling any noxious ideas like Twitter or Facebook into their country.

From there, we board four buses to Beijing, a 2-hour or longer ride. Our guide is Nancy, or (in Chinese) “Zsa Zsa but not Gabor.” She has a delightful sense of humour, excellent command of language, and open willingness to discuss history and contemporary life. Nancy is a treasure, never criticizing Modern China, but clearly discussing the changes, for better or worse, that have occurred since the days of her grandmother. She is exceptional, and after 35 years experience as (dare we say it?) luxury travel professionals, one of the best we’ve had.

But look around! My goodness, what an explosion of development everywhere one looks. The architecture, the shops (there is E-V-E-R-Y luxury brand with its own private store in just the two subterranean levels of our hotel tonight, the Peninsula. And we saw most of them elsewhere on the streets as well. Not just for “foreign tourists” – I mean, how many foreign tourists would it take to support the Mercedes Benz, Rolls Royce, BMW, Audi and Lexus dealerships along the route?

Lunch was a traditional Chinese affair, tables of ten, with turntables spinning unidentified food in front of you. There was a printed menu as well, so the most fun was trying to identify which dish matched which description. Never did figure out what “boiled croaker” was, and nothing really resembled a frog. However, it was a delicious lunch, complete with complimentary beer or wine, and shared by the quietest group of people that I suspect any Chinese restaurant anywhere in the world has ever experienced.

Our tours included the Forbidden City, moved to Tiananmen Square, and then to the hotel. Every stop was pre-arranged, VIP line (no queuing ever! And that is one big achievement in China!), with Vox-boxes so we could always hear the commentary. Got just a little tacky when Nancy suggested we could buy $30 “chops” (seals/name stamps) in advance with a jade carving of our birth-year animal; or when we posed for a “family portrait” with 30 of us in front of Tiananmen Square for a $16 book of photos – but as I browsed the souvenir stores later, I began to realize that these would make shopping a lot easier for most passengers who buy that sort of tat. It was also very easy to say “Bu, shay” (No thanks).

One of the things we had dreaded was check-in at the Peninsula. At first we imagined all 400 or so passengers disgorging at once onto a swamped registration desk, then were relived to hear it would only be half that number. As R had some site inspection appointments at other luxury hotels in the city, it as important that we got through this rigmarole quickly. He jumped off the bus, while I waited for the carry-on bag that we had stored in the hold. However, there was nothing to wait for, as when we got off, all the bags were waiting to be claimed. I took ours, paused to take a photo of two, and by the time I found Roger he already had our room key in hand, as did everyone else. Dinner reservations were quickly made at a separate desk – we chose 9:00 pm in the Western Style Buffet; we could have also selected a set menu in the Chinese restaurant.

While I got the Internet set up in our room (free!), Rog was getting address cards prepared in Chinese by the concierge for our site inspection and shopping evening. Everywhere we looked we were astounded by the modern China around us. Every “Western” luxury brand, and then some, that we had ever seen in Canada or Europe was represented multiple times. The three levels of shopping under the Peninsula, for example, has every watch, every shoe, every fashion label you would expect on Rodeo Drive or Fifth Avenue – separate boutiques, plentifully staffed. Stunning modern architecture is everywhere, and there is more “green” space, boulevards, parks, etc., than in Paris.

The traditional China of my memory (1980) still exists, although we didn’t seek out the Snack Market (scorpions and centipedes on sticks) or the traditional residential “hutong” areas. It is enough to know they exist.

Excellent buffet dinner at the hotel, followed by some Internet updates and bed. If you think European beds are hard, try Chinese. When we visited Mr & Mrs Wang in Dalian, we were offered seats on rather fragile feeling chairs, or a sturdy big bench – which I opted for, and then realized it was their bed. The same level of sturdy comfort was waiting for us in the Peninsula.

Zzzzzzz.

Well you wont be alone.Although I am a first time poster I am rojaan19's worse half!

And cruiser I have warmed to your comments and finding them helpful.

Hello drron,

I think we will be across the hall from you. Looking forward to the meeting you and Ann.

Day 8 – May 3 – Beijing, China

Quick, complimentary, delicious buffet breakfast in the morning and we are back on our buses, heading to the Great Wall, with a thirty-minute stop en route, to walk among the famous structures of the 2008 Olympics, the Dragon building, the Bird’s Nest, the Water Cube. Amazing.

Then, the ultimate, perhaps: The Great Wall itself, the Ba Da Ling section. Our tour included the cable car ascent and return - again, no waiting! And the cable car saves about 2 hours of climbing. R climbed to the top of the publicly accessible section; J was content to say, “been there done that” and stayed on lower ground. The view of the wall stretching off like a dragon cresting the mountains in both directions is otherworldly.

During the transfer times in the bus, Nancy gave us a crash course in Chinese history, language, government, and more. The development of China prior to the arrival of Marco Polo and the Westerners is nothing short of amazing, to realize all that culture and progress was happening there while Europeans were still grunting around in mud huts, ignorant of it all. I believe just how much the world has changed and communication between cultures was especially brought home to us while we were on the bus in Dalian, and R got a text from home that Osama bin Laden had been killed. Within seconds of that announcement in Washington, the entire world knew it, even in China without the benefit of Twitter or Facebook.

After the Wall, a stop for another traditional Chinese lunch of ten diners and a lazy Susan. Dinner partners were all different from yesterday but cut from the same paralyzed cloth. Menu items were also all different, but equally unidentifiable yet delicious. And then it was the 2-hour-plus ride home, during which I watched a movie on my iPad.

Arriving back in the terminal building, the entire staff of stateroom attendants and butlers were lined up in welcome, carrying individual letters spelling out WELCOME HOME. We were greeted with the Silversea’s traditional third of a glass of Champagne, which I tossed back in a single gulp. When we got to our stateroom, there was a table set with a bottle of Champagne chilling and a plate of appetizers, overseen by an origami elephant on the bed, the first appearance of such a creature that has become requisite to any cruise.

Phone rings, and caller starts chatting about what a great day it was, and how splendid the welcome, and invites me to come to their cabin for Champagne “although you might have to bring your own!” – I thought, how very hospitable, but I still wasn’t able to identify the voice. I graciously accepted, and asked the cabin number. “Oh, gracious! I have dialed the wrong number!” To which I replied, “That was the quickest un-invitation I’ve ever received.” However, moments later, a very sweet lady appeared at our door with a (full!) glass of champagne and an abject apology. I guess that’s how you meet people on this ship!

Although there was no trivia this evening, our group seemed to congregate in The Bar out of habit, and, with plenty of Champagne already consumed, found that there can indeed be good times and revelry aboard the Silver Shadow. We drank, we dined, and we went to the Show together (a pathetic presentation, by the way; don’t waste valuable drinking/eating or sleeping time on these), and made a date for tomorrow night. It is only a shame that it took so long to find compatible cruisers, but it does suggest it’s not so much the cruise line, as it is the happenstance of this passenger load, that has contributed to the moribund atmosphere.

Dining tonight was somewhat unique in that the galley was set up as a long buffet and we all traipsed through and filled our plates. Interesting variation to an otherwise unremarkable dining experience aboard.

Day 8 – May 3 – Beijing, China

I must say Cruisers1975 you have gone to a lot of trouble to post all this and I thus must conceed that you are a "luxury travel professional".This is my cruise experience but haven't taken the time or made the effort to report on them as you are doing. Thanks.

1975 South America East Coast on Stella Oceanus

1977 SS Mermoz to Med

1978 SS Veracruz to Gulf of Mexico

1979 Greek Isles on Stella Oceanus

1979 Vistafjord to Caribbean

1983 Sagafjord to Alaska

1984 Stella Solaris to Aegean Israel & Egypt

1984 Mississippi Queen

1985 Nantucket Clipper –New England

1987 Fairsky to Caribbean

1988 Old Royal Odyssey to Med

1990 Carnivale to Bahamas

1991 South American Cruise on Crown Odyssey

1995 Monarch of the Seas to Caribbean

1995 Panama Canal on New Royal odyssey

1996 Nile River Cruise

1997 Splendor of the Seas- Norway Fjords

1997 Sun Viking Singapore to Hong Kong

1999 Renaissance 4 to Barcelona –Lisbon

1999 Carnival Paradise to Caribbean

2000 Millennium to Baltic

2001 Summit to Caribbean

2002 Constellation to Norway Fjords

2003 Horizon to Costa Maya

2003 Infinity to Alaska

2003 Holiday to Cozumel

2004 Infinity South American Horn Valparaiso to BA

2004 Constellation Trans Atlantic

2006 Millennium through Panama Canal-Valparaiso to Fort Lauderdale

2006 Rhapsody of the Seas to Caribbean

2006 New England/Canada Cruise on Constellation

2007 Millennium to Caribbean

2008 Mercury Auckland to Hawaii

2008 Voyager of the Seas Galveston to Caribbean

2009 Mariner of the Seas Mexican Riviera

2009 Summit to Caribbean

2009 Rhine River

2009 Antarctica on Multanovskiy

2010 Voyager of the Seas-Caribbean

2010 Silver Whisper NY to Bermuda

Day 9– May 4 – Day At Sea

It’s a long haul from Beijing to Shanghai, so we have another day and a half at sea. Perfect timing for J to catch a sore throat and cold, so I spent most of the day in bed, sweating it out. Therefore, not much to report.

I did rouse myself to join R for our one invited occasion, the St Patrick’s Season (every season is St Patrick’s season to the Irish) Reception, hosted by another travel agent on board hosting a group. Waiters delivered trays of Guinness, and green beers and mixed drinks; a green cake and green shamrock cookies were presented, and everyone wore something green. The pianist played Danny Boy and the cruise director tried to sing, again and again. Let’s give him another “warm round of applause” (not!). But thank you, K, for your kind invitation. You are a class act!

And then I went back to bed. R had a massage, which he reported as just “good.” There are no male therapists, and we have been spoiled by ours at home. I can also report that my pedicure was rather less than average as well, but maybe I’m just being grumpy. Blame it on the cold.

Oh, I should mention that we were invited to join the Assistant Financial Controller or such at his table tonight (RSVP by noon), but declined, that we might join our new friends as arranged last night instead. We dined in Terrace Café again, and it was a great evening, even though my cold was settling and I couldn’t actually taste the food. I did order one plate that was, for the first time, worthy of a photograph, but alas I had no camera. I’m relying on the kindness of others to send me a copy. It’s the Antipasti Selection, most artistically arranged.

And then, medicated to the hilt, it’s off to bed.

Enjoying reading your report. You are in a part of the world I most probably will never see, so interesting to read about your experiences.

We did not find new friends on board. Most everyone was either significantly older than us or part of a large group that had no need for meeting new people. We were happy as clams having The Bar to ourselves almost every night. We did not go to trivia, the shows, or the shopping presentations. Perhaps as we were celebrating an anniversary on board it just wasn't important to participate. We sought out areas to be on our own.

The short pours on champagne didn't bother us as we downed nearly a bottle in our room everyday, so never ordered it out and about, only had it at receptions etc. Some have stated wines were handled similarly, but that was not our experience.

I hope you end up enjoying your time on Silversea.

Day 10– May 6 – Half Day At Sea and then Shanghai – Final Notes.

The morning looks brighter, at least from the heath point of view. Up early to handle a few work requirements, breakfast again in the Terrace Café, and now awaiting our 3PM scheduled arrival in Shanghai.

Gives us an opportunity to pack (it’s all over in the morning), and perhaps a summary of impressions. We arrive in Shanghai, spend the afternoon shopping (wow! So different in just 4 years since our last visit!), back for last call at the trough, and off to bed. It’s all over. Bags out by 11pm, get out of your room by 8am, last push down the gangplank by 9am, and it’s “come back soon.”

Little Things that Mean a Lot

- Shower water pressure – great!

- The fact that the shower spray is always aimed outside the shower – not so great when you turn it on without re-aiming.

- Bedside tables with lamps growing out of the centre of them. No room to put anything. Why not sconce lighting? And don’t give me the excuse of twin/queen bed choices, because Seabourn does it.

- Third of a glass of Champagne. This is simply stupid and insulting. And, now that we are underway, it’s not even Champagne. It’s prosecco, unless you specifically request Champagne. Then it’s Drappier, which is perfectly good, but apparently it used to be Pommery, which was better, and just another hint of the changes.

- Bar Hours. When it’s cold (as it has been this entire cruise), can’t they transfer the (closed) Pool Bar staff to another bar and keep it open?

- Bar Stools. The Most Uncomfortable on the Sea. Guaranteed. The Lampadina’s are nearly impossible not to slip off of. The Bar’s are simply awkward and poorly scaled, and with a forced swivel return that makes it impossible to talk to someone slightly behind you. And the Pool Bar has a most unusual, and unfriendly, set up of four hard wooden stools, then a huge gap, then four more stools, which discourages large group conviviality, and completely defeats the purpose of a semi-circular bar. As bar stool connoisseurs (now don’t ask how we qualify for that distinction), Silversea fails on all counts.

- Dress Code. Scrap it. At least relax it. SeaDream is 100% “resort casual.” Seabourn and Crystal each has their “formal” nights but there are venues where casual is still acceptable at all hours, all days. It is an inconvenient interruption to an evening of socializing to realize that it’s 7:00PM and you have to return to your cabin to change clothes. And stop calling it “formal” if a suit is acceptable. That is not formal. That’s “business dress,” and as far as I’m concerned has no place outside of the bank.

- Piano. Can you play it again, Sam, this time with feeling? Is everything on this ship designed and ordered to put you to sleep?

- Stage Shows. Why bother? Tonight, it’s a movie. Probably for the better.

- Access to Athenian Lounge. After five days afloat, I realized one could enter the 2-storey Athenian Lounge from the 5th Deck, by a marked but nearly invisible door on either side of The Bar. Saves climbing to the 6th Deck. But after the show starts, these doors are locked, so you have to climb up to climb down. And with only one central aisle (all side aisles are barricaded) and passengers all climbing at a snail’s pace in that unmistakable wobbling amble affected by those born near the turn of the last century, it takes a while to escape.

- Plugs. Need more.

- Balcony Door. Ours required herculean effort to open or close it. Butler says he has reported it, but no relief. Baby it’s cold outside, so no worry this cruise, but I do pity anyone in this suite in warmer climes.

- Smoking Policy. Get with it. Even China outlawed smoking in public places this week. Surely Silversea can do the same?

- Internet. Although the connection was easy and delivery service consistent and fairly fast, the fact we have to pay by the minute is archaic. The fact we have to pay at all is disturbing, but at the worst it should be a one-time, full-time charge. It is quite difficult to carry on business in this way, and would suggest there are more and more people in business who realize they can conduct their business from anywhere in the world, with the Internet – an excellent potential audience for cruise ships. And forgetting to log off before you run out for dinner – can be very expensive!

- Sanitation. The hand purifying bubbles have disappeared. I never saw one the entire cruise. One would certainly expect to see them and be encouraged to use them in China, but no – none. I wonder if that’s why I have a sore throat and cold today? (On edit: I finally saw one as we LEFT the ship!)

In summary, this cruise product is ideal for a certain demographic that I would call aristocratic, traditional, elderly, wealthy, willing to join in quiet conversations with like minded individuals. The infirm and obese are especially welcome (see note on tenders below). The staff with personal contact with guests is exceptional, I would even say the best we’ve experienced. The best butler we’ve ever had, and the most first name recognition I’ve ever had on any ship. No request, be it a “correct fill” of Champagne or a pad of paper and a dozen pencils, is ever an imposition, and always promptly fulfilled. Entering the restaurant, there is always a phalanx of waiters to show you to the table, or carry your plate from the buffet. Always present, never imposing. Simply cannot say enough about the staff.

The enrichment lectures, from the three I attended, are very good, presented in a professorial manner that is entirely appropriate to this crowd.

We may have been lucky, as we only had three port stops (Busan, Dalian, Tianjin (Beijing)) the entire trip, but we never had to tender. This makes it easier for a significant portion of the passengers who otherwise would not be able to go ashore.

The shore excursions and shuttle buses were well orchestrated, convenient, and a good value. The addition of “Beijing with Our Compliments” (as compensation for losing Tokyo and Hiroshima) was a class act by Silversea and top notch all the way. The did it both ways, both on the preceding cruise from Hong Kong to Tokyo (now Incheon) and back to Shanghai this week. Those on back-to-backs got the highlights (Forbidden City / Tiananmen Square / Great Wall) on their first time in Beijing, last week, and now on the return were offered an entirely different tour, featuring the Summer Palace and other attractions. Silversea also offered assistance to anyone with flight difficulties in changing to Incheon, even if the flights were arranged independently. In the handling of these unavoidable issues, they are to be commended.

Food is consistently good, but seldom exceptional.

Whom this cruise line is not appropriate for, in our opinion, is a more active, may we say raucous, group that enjoys spirited competition at Trivia, and bars with something more than six slippery stools and flickering candlelight. Maybe not a disco (a la Crystal) but at least a choice of fun and vibrant locations (Seabourn and SeaDream). Also not appropriate if you want a large-ship entertainment production (Crystal); but even the smaller ships of SeaDream and Seabourn had quality and varied entertainment most nights. Although there is more space dedicated to the casino than aboard either SeaDream (with it’s one black jack table) or Seabourn (with a little more, including a slot machine or two), there was never anyone gambling when we peeked in. Yet the rank smell of ashtrays still permeated the hallway.

Also missing, although not missed on this cold trip, is the direct access to the ocean from the lower deck on both SeaDream and Seabourn. That’s not available on Crystal, either.

Now we did meet one couple who had sailed Silversea twice before, on the Whisper, and said the crowd was younger and more fun. It has occurred to us that this may well be an unfairly biased sailing in favour of the old and tired, and the dedicated repeat guest (i.e. too lazy or unadventurous to try something else). It is logical that Beijing is not going to be someone’s first cruise experience. That’s going to be the Caribbean or Mediterranean (where this couple’s first two SS experiences were); furthermore, the crowd on this sailing was displeased in the first place by the changed ports, exacerbated by the late arrival and incorrect boarding information in Incheon. They were predisposed to be less than friendly.

That said, there is nothing aboard the Shadow that would do anything to subtly correct that, either. From the awkward bar stools to the sleepy piano to the short pours to a very nice but ineffective cruise director – in fact everything seems designed to lull you into quiet silence, intimate groups. Very nice, if that’s what you want from your cruise.

Suggestions for future novice cruisers on Silversea:

- Bring a sport coat AND a suit. And of course a tuxedo or dinner jacket if you have one. White dinner jackets and red bow ties are all the rage.

- Bring an extension cord, a multiplex outlet, and some European converter plugs if you have any electronics.

- Beware of the negative billing for a charity that appears unbidden on your room account. It can be removed if you wish to decide for yourself which causes you support.

- Bring your own reading material, either books or iBooks, for the library holds little variety and less appeal.

And in Conclusion:

- Did we have a great time?

- Is Silversea a luxury product?

- Is it perfect for some clients?

- Is the service the best ever experienced?

Absolutely on all counts!

- Would we come back?

Well, that would depend on itinerary, cost, timing – and other options to us at that time. Given exactly the same, we would select Seabourn (for the dining and stateroom), SeaDream (for the camaraderie), or even Crystal (for the nightlife).

- Third of a glass of Champagne. This is simply stupid and insulting. And, now that we are underway, it’s not even Champagne. It’s prosecco, unless you specifically request Champagne. Well, my partner is French. If they serve only a third of a glass of Champagne and worse, try serving prosecco when he asks for a glass of Champagne - with a capital 'C' - he will be an unhappy cruiser.

Is this the norm? That Silversea will try to pass of prosecco as Champagne? That must be breaching some trade descriptions act! :eek::rolleyes:

In summary, this cruise product is ideal for a certain demographic that I would call aristocratic, traditional, elderly, wealthy, willing to join in quiet conversations with like minded individuals. The infirm and obese are especially welcome . Since we are neither obese nor infirm, and do not fit the aristocratic, traditional, elderly and wealthy democratic, we should find our forthcoming first cruise on SS to be rather enlightening. ;)

I will, of course, pass my own opinions after we return from it :D

Well thank you for your rather unique insights into the world of Silversea. As someone who has only 19 days to wait before her first SS cruise I have found it rather intriguing to read.

The prosecco appears when unbidden. That is, if there is tray of something bubbly being passed around, it's probably prosecco. If you request Champagne, you'll get it. However, I don't think Sea Dream or Seabourn even stock prosecco! We never had any, at least.

Hi, thanks for posting. I have to say, though, that we are not aristocratic, traditional, wealthy or elderly and we loved Silversea and can't wait to sail again! I am sure the overall feel does vary from ship to ship and itinerary to itinerary, with length of cruise also having an impact. As for us, we loved the Whisper and loved the people, both the staff and the guests!

Honorine, we are doing a few days in Istanbul pre-cruise (we have a group of 12 with us), then Nessebur, Constanta, Odessa, Sevastapol, Yalta, Mykonos, and end in Athens on June 11.

AllisonJames, you are quite right.

Cruisers1975 - I have loved your travelogue so please continue to post them when on your travels. We are Seabournites and have looked at Silversea but this has put me off somewhat!

Seabourn do have Prosecco as I discovered when I asked for a Bellini in the Club and a bottle was opened specially to ensure the drink was correctly made!

Happy travels!

Honorine, we are doing a few days in Istanbul pre-cruise (we have a group of 12 with us), then Nessebur, Constanta, Odessa, Sevastapol, Yalta, Mykonos, and end in Athens on June 11.

AllisonJames, you are quite right.

Istanbul reminded me of a time years ago when we stopped on a cruise in Istanbul and had a cab driver. I kept his card and 7 years later I got off a cruise ship showed the card to a driver and he took me right to the same driver. The driver remembered me. How do I know he remembered me? He got me on the side and whispered in my ear. Different Wife? He was correct. Amazing how he could have remembered a client with all the fares he had picked up. He is probably retired or expired since.

Always keep cards. You never know when you will use them again.

Cruisers1975 - I have loved your travelogue so please continue to post them when on your travels. We are Seabournites and have looked at Silversea but this has put me off somewhat!

margben, this has put me off more than somewhat and we are already booked and fully paid up and sailing in 18 days!

I already had some doubts about our holiday after reading comments on this board, and especially after the problems we have had regarding the air portion of our trip, but this thread has just added to my anxiety and my current state of mind in "anticipating" a holiday that will be costing us more than £10,000 is one of anxiety and regret...I think we may have made a mistake in booking Silversea.

We are just ordinary people who wanted a very special holiday and spent more than double on this one than we normall would for a 7 day holiday. I am trying to approach this trip with an open mind but if what I have read here is the same case on our cruise, I just can't see it being enjoyable. The emphasis on labels and designer gear that the OP had discussed is very worrying....I am thinking already that we will not fit in on this cruise and kind of wish we had celebrated this special holiday elsewhere.

margben, this has put me off more than somewhat and we are already booked and fully paid up and sailing in 18 days!

I already had some doubts about our holiday after reading comments on this board, and especially after the problems we have had regarding the air portion of our trip, but this thread has just added to my anxiety and my current state of mind in "anticipating" a holiday that will be costing us more than £10,000 is one of anxiety and regret...I think we may have made a mistake in booking Silversea.

We are just ordinary people who wanted a very special holiday and spent more than double on this one than we normall would for a 7 day holiday. I am trying to approach this trip with an open mind but if what I have read here is the same case on our cruise, I just can't see it being enjoyable. The emphasis on labels and designer gear that the OP had discussed is very worrying....I am thinking already that we will not fit in on this cruise and kind of wish we had celebrated this special holiday elsewhere.

I wish I could say all the right things to put your mind at ease. Silversea is a lovely cruise line with marvelous service and a very interesting group of passengers. Nothing is perfect, but I believe you will find most of it to be well beyond your expectations. We are not fancy folk - more the blue jean/plaid type. Any designer label I own is more likely GAP than Armani! We do enjoy formal nights (or at least I do), but we also enjoy the casual and informal evenings as well. We have always found passengers whom we liked a lot and have made every effort to travel with them again. I believe the OP has not fully understood the dress code in the evening and has felt relegated to his suite unnecessarily. On formal nights, only the dining room is formal. There are those who opt to wear dark suits rather than tuxes, and that is fine.

Please keep in mind, on Silversea, if you want something, just ask for it, and you will get it! That includes the dining rooms, in your cabin and just about anywhere on the ship. The service and the willingness to please the passengers are amazing. The cabins are lovely. Okay, if they don't pour wine or champagne exactly the way you want it, just ask them to do it differently. If you make an effort to learn the names of the staff, they will be thrilled.

Exhale! Enjoy the preparations for what should prove to be the trip of a lifetime.

Please let us know how you liked it when you get home.

Archived