Pearl DOS - balcony on sea days?

albertamom

Hi everyone. I've been searching for information and pictures of the deluxe owner's suites on the Pearl, and love what I've found. However, one review said that on sea days the cushions are removed from the balcony furniture and everything is tied down, making it unusable. Does anyone here have more information? We've never cruised before, but in my imagination, we would spend most of our time at sea out on that beautiful balcony!

We have been in that suite on other ships....IF you are in 10504 or 10004. The front deck is wide open with no protection from above. The loungers have nice cushions on them. Even in some pretty heavy weather, they were never battened down. However, every evening our cabin steward brought the cushions in. At night, at higher speeds, there's lots of spray on the deck and in some places foggy drizzle. It was much nicer to have dry cushions. We found that we used the side deck which was protected....alot!! The forward deck can be very uncomfortably breezy when the ship is underway. When it was sunny, I did love lying low on the loungers. At night in the total darkness, we would get bundled up and lie on our backs and see a gazillion stars....quite spectacular. When it was raining, the front deck was pretty useless, but the side balcony was perfect. After having had balconies forward, starboard, and port on our cruises, we're heading to the aft penthouses to have more protection and a view. Going through the Panama Canal in the owners suite, even though it was pouring rain, was FABULOUS. The DOS is a fabulous cruising experience....we had 15 nights this Nov/Dec and just LOVED all the space. ENJOY!!!

We will be able to tell you soon, we sail on the Pearl to Alaska on May 15th. Room 15000:)

Have a fabulous time!!! I can't wait to hear all about it! I haven't booked yet, but am sooooo tempted. Because we have never cruised before, I seem to be having a hard time committing. If I haven't done so by the time you are back, I am sure that your review will give me the push I need!:)

We have been in that suite on other ships....IF you are in 10504 or 10004. The front deck is wide open with no protection from above. The loungers have nice cushions on them. Even in some pretty heavy weather, they were never battened down. However, every evening our cabin steward brought the cushions in. At night, at higher speeds, there's lots of spray on the deck and in some places foggy drizzle. It was much nicer to have dry cushions. We found that we used the side deck which was protected....alot!! The forward deck can be very uncomfortably breezy when the ship is underway. When it was sunny, I did love lying low on the loungers. At night in the total darkness, we would get bundled up and lie on our backs and see a gazillion stars....quite spectacular. When it was raining, the front deck was pretty useless, but the side balcony was perfect. After having had balconies forward, starboard, and port on our cruises, we're heading to the aft penthouses to have more protection and a view. Going through the Panama Canal in the owners suite, even though it was pouring rain, was FABULOUS. The DOS is a fabulous cruising experience....we had 15 nights this Nov/Dec and just LOVED all the space. ENJOY!!!

Thank you for your reply! The Panama Canal is on my dream list some day. Lying on the deck looking at the stars would be absolutely fabulous!

I was in room 15500 DOS on the Pearl this in March the only time that they tied down the furniture was at night so you don't hear the furniture banging if it was to windy I have a review that I wrote on that room if you are interested Relaxatsea.info select Pearl then select suite 15500

I was in room 15500 DOS on the Pearl this in March the only time that they tied down the furniture was at night so you don't hear the furniture banging if it was to windy I have a review that I wrote on that room if you are interested Relaxatsea.info select Pearl then select suite 15500

LOVED your review! Thanks for the fabulous information!:)

We were in 15000 on the Gem which should be the same as the Pearl. The deck (too big to call a balcony) was usable both at sea and port. While at sea, standing at the railing was windy, but as long as you are sitting the deck is wonderful! Enjoy your included bottles of booze while listening to the pool band. We were so spoiled! Only time they put the cushions away was at night and they are stored right there on the deck so you could get them back out if you really wanted to and then put them back in the deck box after you are done. ENJOY!!!!

We were in 15000 on the Gem which should be the same as the Pearl. The deck (too big to call a balcony) was usable both at sea and port. While at sea, standing at the railing was windy, but as long as you are sitting the deck is wonderful! Enjoy your included bottles of booze while listening to the pool band. We were so spoiled! Only time they put the cushions away was at night and they are stored right there on the deck so you could get them back out if you really wanted to and then put them back in the deck box after you are done. ENJOY!!!!

That sounds heavenly! The review that I read (not here, but somewhere else in cyberspace) must have come from a cruise in unusually rough seas.

This is why I absolutely love Cruise Critic! The knowledge base is unbelievable! I cannot possibly imagine planning my first cruise without the help of all of you here! THANK YOU!:)

Archived