Passport Question

SCMODJO

Okay, I am looking at a closed loop cruise out of San Juan. I have read the boards and know that we do not need a passport since it is closed looped (we are from the US). Also I know it is better to be safe and have one in case of an emergency and we need to fly home. I get all of that. My question is the cruise is only three weeks away. I have a passport my wife has one in her maiden name. I don't want to spend $170 to rush a new passport because I don't see us using it again anytime soon because she is pregnant and money will be going to the kid, not vacations in the foreseeable future!

The question is do we just have her go with a birth certificate, license, and marriage cert. or can we sign her up in her MAIDEN name and use her old passport. She also has her old driver's license in her maiden name still too. Can we do that? Or has her name changed in some magical computer system somewhere and her passport would be red flagged somehow? My thought was go with current name, bring birth cert. and license. As a backup bring her old license and passport and if something happens get her a flight home in her maiden name? Any votes? I know it seems cheap but I HATE spending $170 for what will probably end up being one trip. Sorry so long. Thanks for any feedback.

Right I understand that. I'm saying If we book her on the cruise in her maiden name, and she has a passport in her maiden name, and a old DL in her maiden name still (that hasn't expired), is that all good? Or since she has changed her name legaly is that somehow going to pop up in some computer system that that is not her legal name anymore? I don't know what info. is tied to what computer sysytem these days!

She has plenty of time to update all of her legal IDs.

I would go ahead and start the passport process, also.

You may be surprised at how fast the process can be since the big rush is over.

Then you just book in her married name and carry a copy of the wedding certificate.

We had to let Carnival know about my name change, also.

Don't want to miss any past guest perks, ya know.

mimi

From experience I can tell you there is no "magical system" that updated her name change:

I was issued a passport with my maiden name in 2008 right before I got married. I never updated the passport to married name. Unfortunately (or rather fortunately :D) The marriage lasted less than a year. I have since my divorce and going back to my maiden name, used my passport to leave the country without any problems.

Hope this helps

***edited for spelling error***

Archived