Cabs in Paris

cole

Not sure on the credit card issue, but there are ATM machines in the terminal at CDG. Alternate is to have the driver stop at a bank ATM location in Paris on the way to your hotel. (My experience is that even when I am assured that cabs will take cards, it is better to assume you will run into one who won't or can't)

Yes- I was just there in January and the definitely do accept credit cards. Also, a word to the wise- always get a price up front before getting in the taxi. They see Americans and like cha-ching! Because Europeans do the train into the city. In other words- they think we are stupid.

Word of warning...only use a taxi at a taxi stand...do NOT use one as you exit the airport and someone offers you a taxi intot the city ay a good rate...they are gypsy cabs and will rip you off for a lot of money.If you do not see the taxi stand ask and someone will help you.

If you are wary of taxis, the train is a reasonable option - and not just Europeans use it; we spoke to a couple from St Louis on it last weekend. It's fast, efficient and cheap (under 10 euros). Downsides are that it can get crowded at peak times, there is no aircon, and if you have lots of luggage you have to fight to get off! Good fun though...

And don't be too harsh on legitimate French taxi drivers - don't forget France is a highly developed, well educated, affluent, law abiding country. And this comes from an Englishman! I'm sure the days when they heard "ker-ching" every time they saw an American are long gone.....:)

I only took a taxi because I was going to Versailles and was to exhausted to take the train, transfer to the subway with luggage and then take another train- especially since I was so unfamiliar with Paris.

I had a wonderful taxi driver from Asia and he was nice and informative and he did charge me the going rate. I asked up front and he quoted me 60 Euros which is the going rate for Versailles.

So I asked my hotel for a taxi back to the airport and asked the driver the price up front and he said 80 Euros. This french taxi driver gave me some song and dance about how it is cheaper from the airport. Whatever... stupid tourist that I am, I paid it.

As a general rule taxi drivers are not from the country that you are visiting. Try to find an America cabby in NYC for example. In England and Ireland they were born there but... I was still ripped off for sure in Ireland. I was charged double and I knew it but I had not asked up front. This is very important. Always ask up front and research to know what you should pay. I was ripped off in Orlando recently too and I had asked up front. The driver took me to the wrong hotel and overcharged me. Then I had to call another cab. All I'm saying is- buyer beware.

Thanks to all of you for such great suggestions! We will certainly go to the taxi stand, ask for the price up front and make sure we have Euros in our pockets before we leave the airport.

B. Cole

Thanks to all of you for such great suggestions! We will certainly go to the taxi stand, ask for the price up front and make sure we have Euros in our pockets before we leave the airport.

B. Cole

Last year we booked a shuttle through Viator for our arrival on Eurostar and departure from Orly. We had to hunt for the driver at the Eurostar station, but he was very accommodating about taking us to an ATM machine for Euros on the way to our apartment.

When we left Paris around 6 a.m., the driver went on to pick up another party. They were not ready, and we learned it was because he was an hour early for them! We still were early for our flight though, as we had allowed plenty of time.

Also they wanted a phone confirmation, and we were in an apartment where we did not know how to use the phone. If you have computer access, you can confirm that way. If not, let them know ahead of time that you do not plan to confirm your trip.

If you do not mind these minor problems and/or allow a little extra time, it was fine. I really liked having everything planned ahead of time and knowing what the cost would be. I am apprehensive about being overcharged in taxis, especially when I do not have a clue of a fair price!

http://www.viator.com/Paris-tours/Transfers-and-Ground-Transport/d479-g15

• 1 year later...

Actually, using credit cards can be a problem...or not! All of Europe (and most of the world outside the USA) uses credit cards that contain a chip and require a PIN. In Europe the standard is called "EMV" and very very few US credit cards work on the EMV system. Up until recently, US cards could be used with no problem since most of the European wireless card readers (what is used in taxis and most restaurants) worked with either EMV or magnetic strip (US type cards) cards. But lately many European banks are switching their customers to newer credit card readers that only work with EMV cards. Although in theory, any merchant (or taxi) could manually call-in a US card..many will not bother and simply not accept the card.

We have spent a fair amount of time traveling in Europe (usually with a rental car) and already have a few of our own horror stories about our credit cards not working or being accepted.

Hank

Actually, using credit cards can be a problem...or not! All of Europe (and most of the world outside the USA) uses credit cards that contain a chip and require a PIN. In Europe the standard is called "EMV" and very very few US credit cards work on the EMV system. Up until recently, US cards could be used with no problem since most of the European wireless card readers (what is used in taxis and most restaurants) worked with either EMV or magnetic strip (US type cards) cards. But lately many European banks are switching their customers to newer credit card readers that only work with EMV cards. Although in theory, any merchant (or taxi) could manually call-in a US card..many will not bother and simply not accept the card.

We have spent a fair amount of time traveling in Europe (usually with a rental car) and already have a few of our own horror stories about our credit cards not working or being accepted.

Hank

I never had a problem with my Capital One credit card anywhere in Paris and we used it at all restaurants and museums and our taxi from the airport. That was three months ago. Maybe you know of changes since July. Of course, restaurants, museums, and taxis are all tourist friendly and they want your business.

As far as vans go, you can reserve private car and vans over the Internet. That may be an option.

I never had a problem with my Capital One credit card anywhere in Paris and we used it at all restaurants and museums and our taxi from the airport. That was three months ago. Maybe you know of changes since July. Of course, restaurants, museums, and taxis are all tourist friendly and they want your business.

As far as vans go, you can reserve private car and vans over the Internet. That may be an option.

The situation is in a state of flux and seem to be deteriorating. Up until 3 years ago we never had a credit card refused anywhere in Europe. Then it started in France when our cards were refused on French Toll Roads (just at certain toll booths), French parking lots (could not get out of the TGV lot in Avignon), at a high priced B&B in Brugge, at gas pumps, and at several restaurants. On every trip (and we are usually in Europe a few months a year) the situation worsens. We know of some US business executives who have obtained European EMV credit cards because of the hassles. The irony about Capital One (we also use this card among others) is that they issue Chip/PIN EMV cards to Canadians but still refuse to do it for Americans. Since we can never be 100% sure our cards will be accepted we now always carry enough cash to cover our tabs in restaurants just in case! When renting a car we have to make sure to fill the tank in the afternoon since it can be difficult to find a gas pump with a cashier in the evening in many places.

Last year we had dinner at a good restaurant in Brugge and had our cards (tried 3) all refused when we tried to pay the bill. I had to run outside and up the block to an ATM (thank goodness it was in service) and get more cash :)

Hank

The situation is in a state of flux and seem to be deteriorating. Up until 3 years ago we never had a credit card refused anywhere in Europe. Then it started in France when our cards were refused on French Toll Roads (just at certain toll booths), French parking lots (could not get out of the TGV lot in Avignon), at a high priced B&B in Brugge, at gas pumps, and at several restaurants. On every trip (and we are usually in Europe a few months a year) the situation worsens. We know of some US business executives who have obtained European EMV credit cards because of the hassles. The irony about Capital One (we also use this card among others) is that they issue Chip/PIN EMV cards to Canadians but still refuse to do it for Americans. Since we can never be 100% sure our cards will be accepted we now always carry enough cash to cover our tabs in restaurants just in case! When renting a car we have to make sure to fill the tank in the afternoon since it can be difficult to find a gas pump with a cashier in the evening in many places.

Last year we had dinner at a good restaurant in Brugge and had our cards (tried 3) all refused when we tried to pay the bill. I had to run outside and up the block to an ATM (thank goodness it was in service) and get more cash :)

Hank

Hank, I would never get one of those credit cards with the chips. Your exposure to identity theft with those things is through the roof. You may want to think twice about even trying to get one.

One thing I did notice in Paris is that some stores and restaurants had two different card readers. One was for cards without chips. That sounds like a rough experience you had in Belgium. Brugge and Brussels are on our to do list. It might be a place where we would carry around more cash euros. But Paris seemed to be very ready and happy to deal with US tourists' plastic. I may check out the tripadvisor forums on this one.

Len

Tripadvisor forums are great. Here is what I learned about Paris.

US credit cards are accepted anywhere where cards are swiped. Problems occur at places where cards are inserted. These include gas stations and ticket machines at the Metro. You can even get around those problems by using a debit card with a PIN. That's what we used at the Metro. We actually used both Capital One debit and credit cards. For some reason, AMEX cards work in Paris in machines that require chips. But AMEX charges ridiculous foreign transaction and translation fees and many places abroad won't even accept them.

As far as taxis go, they have the swiping devices and US credit card users should have no problems. You just may want to advise the dispatcher that you need a taxi that accepts credit cards. Of course, you can also get cash from the many ATMs at CDG. We seemed to see a few HSBC machines.

• 10 months later...
Last year we booked a shuttle through Viator for our arrival on Eurostar and departure from Orly. We had to hunt for the driver at the Eurostar station, but he was very accommodating about taking us to an ATM machine for Euros on the way to our apartment.

When we left Paris around 6 a.m., the driver went on to pick up another party. They were not ready, and we learned it was because he was an hour early for them! We still were early for our flight though, as we had allowed plenty of time.

Also they wanted a phone confirmation, and we were in an apartment where we did not know how to use the phone. If you have computer access, you can confirm that way. If not, let them know ahead of time that you do not plan to confirm your trip.

If you do not mind these minor problems and/or allow a little extra time, it was fine. I really liked having everything planned ahead of time and knowing what the cost would be. I am apprehensive about being overcharged in taxis, especially when I do not have a clue of a fair price!

http://www.viator.com/Paris-tours/Transfers-and-Ground-Transport/d479-g15

I will be in Paris end of this month and booked a shuttle from the airprt to our hotel. Should I tip the driver? .

I will be in Paris end of this month and booked a shuttle from the airprt to our hotel. Should I tip the driver? .

If the driver is courteous and gives you good service then a tip of a few Euros would be the norm.

Hank

Hank, I would never get one of those credit cards with the chips. Your exposure to identity theft with those things is through the roof. You may want to think twice about even trying to get one.

Len

Hi Len

I just got one of these cards. What makes them so vulnerable to identity theft? I have not hear this before. How do they steal your info? Leaving for Paris in four weeks. Thank you.

Archived