Food and Drink Question---First time cruiser!

Hotrocker2011

The soda card is worth it but don't buy it until the ship leaves the home port. On our first cruise we did not realize we would have paid less in port charges/taxes if we waited a little while.

If it is a port that charges tax you will save what--3.00 in a tax?

figure you get onboard about noon- and maybe you get in international waters by 7pm-- you can have quite a bit of soda between that time--not to mention while you are eating your dinner.

Is it really worth waiting to save that little bit?

Maybe not worth waiting to save the sales tax. I never buy one for myself, I get one for my son. And I usually feel like he should be able to go a few hours without a soda, actually I feel like he drinks too much of it & I'd rather he not get the max money's worth from the card!

Yes, but if you want to have a soda before the boat sails, like when you are sitting around waiting for your rooms to be ready, if you don't have the card already you'll have to pay for a soda. That may negate the sales tax savings.

Yeah, I usually drink 3-4 sodas before we hit international water. So I get plenty of value from the little sales tax I pay.

Yeah, I usually drink 3-4 sodas before we hit international water. So I get plenty of value from the little sales tax I pay.

Exactly, you will pay more for drinks prior to getting your card than you save by waiting, we are talking $4.50

The soda card is worth it but don't buy it until the ship leaves the home port. On our first cruise we did not realize we would have paid less in port charges/taxes if we waited a little while.

Or you can purchase it from Bon Voyage before you even get on board. We were not charged any tax. There was a voucher waiting for us in our room to go have the sticker added to our cards.

Is the tea that is provided free presweetened, or do they provide sugar packets? More importantly do they provide low carbohydrate sweeteners (such as Equal) as I am a diabetic?

Thanks...

Mike

There are artificial sweetner packets out, but if you prefer a certain brand I would bring that. If you aren't picky about what type you use I am sure you will have no trouble.

Is the tea that is provided free presweetened, or do they provide sugar packets? More importantly do they provide low carbohydrate sweeteners (such as Equal) as I am a diabetic?

Thanks...

Mike

The tea is unsweetened and they have pink, blue, and yellow sweetener packets available.

At home I sweeten our tea with Splenda as I make it and I feel that the taste balances out better, but I'm just happy to have the option to add sweetner to my taste not southern sweet tea but still sweetened).

I know last week on the Glory they had the Splenda which is my favorite. Take your own big mug and fill up with tea. The cups they give you are small and I thought with the Splenda, the tea was really good!!

the soda card is $4.50 a day for children and $6 a day for adults, plus 15% tip. .. so it too varys by how long your cruise is.

OP this poster has a point soda is not free.

You can get lemonaide and iced tea all day in the buffet and tea for dinner or water by the glass (bottled water not free) free at dinner in the MDR and capachino and espresso is free in the MDR.

Here is the Carnival chart for the drink card prices.

there was some confusion from a previous post about water in the dining room. When you first meet them they offer bottled water for sale, but our waiter asked if we preferred the bottled water or the ships water at no charge......before you go on excursions they are also trying to sell bottled water. A woman beside us commented on how weird it was to sign a slip for something that was free. Another passenger in line explained that it was not free, and she just signed away $4.00.

Or you can purchase it from Bon Voyage before you even get on board. We were not charged any tax. There was a voucher waiting for us in our room to go have the sticker added to our cards.

I did not know I could do that. Good idea.

And to those asking if the tax savings are worth it- my first drink is usually from the bar anyway. If I get thirsty after that I can drink water. I went out of Tampa last time.

Archived