DVD-burning services

surreal

Does anyone know if Azamara has DVD-burning services on-board their ships? It would be nice to take my CF memory card from my camera and burn the images to a DVD to safe-guard them. I could then delete all the photos on the card and start fresh shooting again knowing the photos are safe.

Does anyone know if Azamara has DVD-burning services on-board their ships? It would be nice to take my CF memory card from my camera and burn the images to a DVD to safe-guard them. I could then delete all the photos on the card and start fresh shooting again knowing the photos are safe.

Yes, they do...I have the pricing at home and will let you know!

K.

You should price this out carefully!

The cost of 8GB CF on sale is what 10-15 bucks. I'd be suprised that any CD/DVD service can offer you cheaper price than just buying more memory.

I never erase / delete my cards on vacation. Backup is always good but always erase after getting dulplicate backs at home on two HDD. Then after that FORMAT in the camera.

Moore's law is amazing isn't it :D

I will be on my first cruise shortly, but it seems like their would be cheaper ways around that such as taking your laptop and transferring the pics nitely or my a few extra SD cards.

Just checked my notes...

depending on how much you transfer, it could be from 9.95-14.95 USD

Personally, we brought along blank DVD's and transferred photos to those using our laptop computer and stored those in a small CD travel case.

We also SAVED our memory cards as an additional back up until we got home. I was not about to take the chance of losing those Pyramid pictures and videos.

Every Christmas, memory cards and USB sticks go on sale super cheap and we just stock up now.

Just checked my notes...

depending on how much you transfer, it could be from 9.95-14.95 USD

Personally, we brought along blank DVD's and transferred photos to those using our laptop computer and stored those in a small CD travel case.

We also SAVED our memory cards as an additional back up until we got home. I was not about to take the chance of losing those Pyramid pictures and videos.

Every Christmas, memory cards and USB sticks go on sale super cheap and we just stock up now.

Thanks for looking up the prices. CF memory is expensive,especially buying Sandisk. I need fast memory for my Canon 7D and can't see taking the risk of buying cheap memory for this trip. I only shoot in RAW format which fills a card up quickly. I thought that if I could transfer the contents of my two cards (8gb and 16 gb) unto disk, I could clear them and fill them up again. Gonna have to protect those disks too but I'd rather have my photos protected on hard media rather than something that could be corrupted by a simple thing such as a magnet.

All the photo dept does is take an ordinary laptop insert your memory card and transfer them to a disk. They use one of their disks, which I didnt recognize the brand of the disk, so the quality of that actual disk might be questionable.

With that said, if you could bring your own laptop or netbook with external DVD drive... I would suggest that OR at least pack quality disks from home, especially if you are planning on deleting your memory card.

On AZ we had them burn stock photos onto a Disk for us, that's how I was able to watch the process.

The memory cards we purchase are SanDisk HD and they go on sale every Thanksgiving/Christmas with the 4G starting as low as 7.99 USD

Costco also sells them quite cheap year round.

Regarding your Extreme Memory...Have you thought of asking for more memory cards as Birthday, Holiday etc etc presents? Friends and Family could either give that to you or combine resources for a joint gift.

Not sure if any of this helps with your plans, but thats just been our experience.

With that said, if you could bring your own laptop or netbook with external DVD drive... I would suggest that OR at least pack quality disks from home, especially if you are planning on deleting your memory card.

The memory cards we purchase are SanDisk HD and they go on sale every Thanksgiving/Christmas with the 4G starting as low as 7.99 USD

Thanks for the info and advise. I don't own a laptop so would have to use AZ services. A 16 GB Sandisk card I would use cost close to $90. I am buying one just for this trip and sure wouldn't want to buy another. With my 8 GB and the 16 GB, I'll have room for close to a thousand shots in RAW. I can burn hundreds on a one day photo shoot. I guess I could try choosing my keepers with looking at the camera LCD screen and deleting the rest but..... Well, I'll think some more on it. Thanks again!

Archived