Sneaking booze aboard

Question, with wine in a box is it better to remove the inner bag, double bag it, and place in checked bags, or leave it in the box? The box is a octagon shape.

I would definitely take the "bladder bag" out of the box and pack it like that. I did something similar last spring on Serenade of the Seas and didn't have a problem. I actually bagged my tequila in a clean, unused bladder bag from a coffee box from Dunkin Donuts. It packed so flat. Wonder if that has anything to do with it not being detected on their scanners? Anyway, it worked for me. I just know that RCCI is much stricter about booze than Carnival or Princess. Hope this helps.

Thanks for spreading the fantastic news. It´s good to know RCI catches up and enforces the rule. They should pay a bonus to the folks screening the luggage for any booze eliminated.

I agree 100%. I do not understand why anyone feels the need to "smuggle" anything on board. If they don't like the rules then go with a cruise line without those rules. Smuggling is middle school mentality at best.

Just an F.Y.I.

We've cruised with most of the "mainstream" lines, including RCCL, and were surprised on our recent PRINCESS cruise that their stated policy allowed every adult to bring one bottle of wine aboard. I don't know if this applies to every port or just the departure port, but to me it seems a sensible "adult" compromise which should be followed by all cruise lines. After all many people have a favorite wine which may not be available on the ship

From a strictly a personal point to view, I don't feel the need to smuggle alcohol because we probably only consume 3 or 4 alcoholic drinks a day. Besides, when we can't afford to have a couple of drinks, or my wife to get her hair done a couple of times on a 12 day cruise, then we'll either stay home or find another vacation activity.

Went on Allure 10th - 17th April. Out of a group of 8, 4 of us smuggled on alcohol with no problems ... we put it in a variety of bottles including water bottles, mouthwash bottles, shampoo bottles (all having gone through a thorough cleaning process). We put some in checked baggage and carried some in hand baggage, none was confiscated. We fully expected for most, if not all of it to be taken away, but wanted a challenge. We were shocked when it all arrived in our rooms safe and sound, and found that drinks on the boat weren't that expensive anyway, so a lot of it wasn't drunk and discarded at the end of the cruise. Spoke to others who had had alcohol confiscated, but it only seemed to be those who had made little effort, and had just kept the booze in the original packaging and tried to hide in their suitcase. If water bottles are on the top of bags in hand luggage, they are shaken, but if they are hidden at the bottom and not seen by the naked eye, they don't seem to bother. Security at the visiting ports seemed to be more thorough than at Fort Lauderdale. From what I've gathered, the worst thing that can happen is that if you try it, you may lose what you take on.

The lengths people go to to get a cheap drink smuggled in astounds and amuses me in equal measure. You are spending your holiday on a luxurious floating hotel not going to Gaol for 3 years!!!

Hey, each to their own and not my place to judge but I just couldn't see myself doing it. take more money or (my prefered option) drink less.

I wouldn't take any expensive wine or booze onboard just in case.

Have an awesome cruise ;

~ Liz

Good advice. They're going to find some of the alcohol, so don't bring anything you'd be upset to lose. It might just be your turn next time!

Did you see the poll here on Cruise Critic a week or two ago about how many people were caught? It was something like 3% of the respondants said they'd brought alcohol onboard and had been caught, whereas over 40% said they'd had no trouble bringing alcohol onboard. Clearly, a self-report poll isn't always accurate, but if that's truthful, they're only catching a smidgen of what comes through.

It cracks me up when people tell how they get it on. Don't you think the cruise lines read these boards? They probably already know more tricks than we could think of but if you found a way you should keep it to yourself, or you will never be able to use that trick again.

I got it on the one time I tried but I'll never tell how. I just buy the drinks from them, I like fancy mixed drinks.

No danger there -- we don't know any new and novel methods of which Royal isn't aware. It's just that they can't police every suitcase thoroughly enough to find every bit of alcohol.
Perhaps the unfortunate consequences that are sometimes associated with that smuggled bottle of booze, may explain their zeal. No one is likely to be killed or injured by a saved seat in the theater, a hogged chair by the pool, or an improperly attired passenger in the dining room, but an intoxicated passenger, when the line does not have some control over how much booze he consumes, can do serious harm to himself or another passenger. So, no, I don't find it especially amusing and if you have seen any of the TV exposés of drunken passengers on a cruise ship, you might better understand and appreciate their zeal.
I don't buy it --it's all about the profit margin.
All the water bottles didn't throw them off, it red flagged you as a possible smuggler. The only people who get caught are those who try to bring on too much or those who don't think before they go.
I do think water bottles are a dead give-away, and I agree that moderation is Rule #1. A couple small airplane bottles will almost certainly get through, whereas anything large is likely to be caught.

• 9 months later...

Archived