BC wines/ice wine?

We're planning to be in Vancouver pre-cruise in June, staying at the Hyatt. We've gotten wonderful ideas about restaurants and travel from this forum, including the $18 Entertainment book.

I've heard great things about BC wines and hope to take some onboard the Ryndam for our cruise. HAL does permit carry-on wine and champagne. Any advice or recommendations for a good shop in the downtown area near the Hyatt or Canada Place? Will a wine shop be open on Sunday, our embarkation day? Any recommendations for local reds?

What is ice wine?

There's a BC liquor store on Alberni near Thurlow (about 2 short blocks from the Hyatt). It's open 11am to 6pm on Sundays. From what I recall, they have a pretty good selection of wines. There maybe other wine shops around, but I'm not aware of them. Besides, the privately run wine shops tend to have a much more limited selection.

Most simply put, Ice Wines are very sweet wines made from frozen grapes. The timing is essential as they must be picked while still frozen and immediately pressed. The authentic ones (VQA) are expensive. I've seen so-called ice wines that are much cheaper but the sugar or alcohol content have been artificially added.

Here's a link to Gismond On Wine. If you look down the grey left-hand index, you'll find a link to "The Best of BC" for some great wine suggestions.

Thanks for the advice. The store sounds perfect, especially the Sunday hours. I think we'll have to invest in a bottle of ice wine because of its BC heritage. Vancouver is such a marvelous city. I wish we could spend more time there this trip.

Bobolink

Alberni is a Speciality store and will carry wines that other stores do not have. Ask for Ken Culbert-he is a wine nut and really knows his stuff.If you can get a wine called Blossom -very yummy.

I have heard so many great things about ice wine on this & another site. I would love to order some to carry on Infinity with us, for an after dessert glass. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can order the authentic kind from? We're boarding the ship in SF, & won't arrive in Vancouver until our cruise is over. I would like to be able to order a bottle online to take with us. On a side note, I have already inquired & Celebrity doesn't stock this wine. How many bottles would you take for 2 adults for a 10 night cruise? TIA :)

Your might want to check out this list of BC wineries, especially the Okanagan region. Many of the wineries will ship. http://www.bcwine.com/wineries.html I don't know if there is a minimum number of bottles. We have ordered a case once, but usually do a tour on our summer vacation and buy a few bottles. Ice wines are very pricey, $50-60 for a 375ml (aprox.12oz)bottle. some like Inniskillin have a 200ml for less than $30. You may want to try some late harvest wines as well. not quite as sweet, but also very nice for $15-20. I am not a drinker usually but I LOVE ice wine. Just wish I could afford to drink it more often.:D Must remember to get some for our cruise in Sept. Good luck!

I have heard so many great things about ice wine on this & another site. I would love to order some to carry on Infinity with us, for an after dessert glass. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can order the authentic kind from? We're boarding the ship in SF, & won't arrive in Vancouver until our cruise is over. I would like to be able to order a bottle online to take with us. On a side note, I have already inquired & Celebrity doesn't stock this wine. How many bottles would you take for 2 adults for a 10 night cruise? TIA :)

Here is a link to a great and reasonalbly price and authentic icewine... http://cms.jacksontriggswinery.com/ViewObject.aspx?sys-Portal=1&sys-Class=Wine&sys-ID=114. It is OUTSTANDING.

I am not sure wherer you can get it in your area but I get it in Los Angeles at Wally's Liquor in Westwood for $20 a bottle.

Jeffrey (jak@kirkman.us)

We were in the Okanagan valley last summer and was very impressed by the quality of the white wines. My favourites came from Grey Monk, especially their unoaked Chardonnay and Pinot Blanc. Summerhill makes a great sparkler whose name escapes me, it starts with a C. Quail Ridge was good as well.

I found that Mission Hill wines didn't live up to their press when comparing wines in the same price range. It was like Mondavi in Napa which really disppointed me. No individuality to the wines unless you were willing to part with super-premium bucks.

I am a great fan of Ontario red wines especially the Cabs and Cab blends from Marinyssen and Malivoire. They would be a real treat if you could find them in BC.

Always look for the VQA label.

Ice wine comes in tiny bottles now which we bring on cruises to make Icewine martinis. Superb!!!

Archived