Eclipse with kids???

defeser

The kids do not need to get changed on the assumption that you will be going to get their ice cream - I often (correctly) saw the employees inside declining to serve unaccompanied young children (I would say aged below 8). There is an instruction on this I beleive and it related to kids and food allergies

The choices you have are

1. Pay for on Deck 5 which as you say not required

2. At the buffet, ice cream station available from around 11-6 you can either get cones or ice cream in a bowl; there are toppings m and ms jelly babies etc that can also be added to the bowls (no charge). About 12 flavours a day available, always have vanilla and strawberry others vary, includes sorbet and also will have at least one sugar free, which is usually lovely so do not overlook it. If children are going to get a cone with their parents from here, no one is going to complain about what they are wearing, of course if they are sitting in that is different, but again you can take the bowl back out with you to the pool to eat there

3. By the pool grill/coffee station, varies per ship, there is a soft serve cone machine, its free, self service and offers vanilla, strawberry or a twist, if it is working properly otherwise it is just vanilla

Relax your children are going to be fine!!!!

We sailed on Eclipse in March with our 4.5 year old DS. We had sailed Celebrity previously as a couple without a child and loved it. We were thrilled that we can still enjoy X with our child in tow. It's true that the ship is designed for adults, but to be sure, there are many things that make it family-friendly, if not family-CENTRIC.

I also believe the child care is better on Celebrity because there are fewer kids. My son got lots of individual and personal attention in the Fun Factory. He has ADHD and does not do well in situations that are overly stimulating. I explained this to the Fun Factory staff, and they made sure to give him a little extra support where needed. He had a great time, and I left them a big tip a the end!

You should also know that the Fun Factory was not a wild, crowded place with people running around in costumes. For the "Shipmates" group, ages 3-5, it was more like a very nice nursery school or kindergarten. They had tons of nice craft projects, movement activities, and more.

Eclipse also gets very high marks for child safety. The sliding glass doors in the balcony cabins have second locks at the very top that children can't reach. We also had a very strict rule that DS wasn't allowed on the balcony alone for any reason. He really loved being out there with either me or DH, watching us arriving and leaving the various ports. All the railings were glass, both in the cabins and out on the decks (at least the decks we saw). There is NO WAY a child could climb them.

Finally, on the Eclipse, you don't feel like you're in a theme park; it's a swanky, sophisticated vibe. The only "negative," if there was one, was the fact that weren't many activities on board for the whole family to enjoy together. That didn't bother us too much. Our son loved the Fun Factory, the pool, and the fountains. He also loved getting soft-serve ice cream at outdoor cafe near the pool.

I would personally rather have a more upscale experience on X and sacrifice some of the "family" offerings available on other lines.

Did you ever post a cruise review about your family trip with your son? Hard to find X reviews that include stuff specifically about family/kids. Thanks!

Archived