JEllyFish in GC

Rottweiler Puppy

Be careful folks. We had a guy get sent to the hospital on our snorkeling excursion from a box jellyfish sting. Turns out the government shut down the sandbar and local areas later on due to enough people getting sent to the hospital.

ALWAYS have trip insurance and wear protective clothing. ie 3/4 sleeved of full sleeved water shirts and long shorts.

The guy was a big dude and he was writhing in massive pain. I heard a little girl was stung and sent to the hospital later on. Those were not allergic reactions, that is how powerful the venom is.

Edited to add. I just found a local news story from the next day.

http://www.cayman27.com.ky/news/item/9596

It was an unusual occurrence, but still makes for a good reminder that even the little things in the sea can pack a real punch.

This episode was from a group of box jellies that apparently rode the wind and currents and ended up in the area of the Stingray Sandbar.

These box jellyfish, which are almost completely transparent, can cause a nasty sting which may require hospital treatment in some circumstances. They are quite rare in Cayman waters.

More commonly in the spring months are the thimble jellyfish. These thumb-tip sized jellies are a brownish colour and swarms are easily seen. En mass they can look like an oil slick or perhaps paint spilled on the water. Thimble jellies are quite uncomfortable but serious reactions are quite rare. Initial discomfort is usually resolved within a few minutes but may take longer in susceptible people (like me :rolleyes:).

I was just there on April 21 doing a Ray Reef and Rum tour with Native Ways. We didnt see any jelly fish and no one in our group got stung. We were on the sandbar with several hundred people and I didnt hear anyone say anything about jelly fish. Lets hope they were in now out so people can enjoy their tours.

I was just there on April 21 doing a Ray Reef and Rum tour with Native Ways. We didnt see any jelly fish and no one in our group got stung. We were on the sandbar with several hundred people and I didnt hear anyone say anything about jelly fish. Lets hope they were in now out so people can enjoy their tours.

It was April 27 when we were there with getting stung.

I beleive they are no longer present.

Thanks for the heads up we will be there next Friday so I'll keep my eyes open.

I got a Man O war sting about thirty years ago and remember it till this day:eek:

I had like seven long whelts along my legs and chest. Not fun, not fun at all!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the heads up we will be there next Friday so I'll keep my eyes open.

I got a Man O war sting about thirty years ago and remember it till this day:eek:

I had like seven long whelts along my legs and chest. Not fun, not fun at all!!

From what I have been reading it deep deep southern currents that brought them there. Check a current map and see if the possibility remains.

Archived