Amsterdam ~ Cruise ship Terminal to Anne Frank House

Hi guys,

I've planned my walk via a paper map and have checked it out on Google Street view but I was wondering how long it may take?

The route I plan to take is From the terminal onto De Ruuterkade, round onto Stationsplien past the Ij onto Prins Hendrik Kade, and along until we hit Prisengracht and straight down there to The Anne Frank house.

We're quick walkers even with our teens in tow ~ I'm thinking 40minutes should be fine but I don't want to book tickets and then turn up late :rolleyes:

If anyone has done the walk previously I'd be grateful if you'd let me know ~ We are planning a leisurely walk back to the ship so it would be straight from ship to Museum on the way there

Cheers Shell

If you're fast walkers then I think 40 minutes would be good - although we didn't walk from the port. Most people estimate 15/20 minutes to the central station - again depending on how fast you walk. Of course, if you're dragging luggage it'll take a bit longer. But its a nice walk and the area if OK.

Do pre-book tickets!! The lines are very long otherwise.

Have a great cruise!!

Hi guys,

I've planned my walk via a paper map and have checked it out on Google Street view but I was wondering how long it may take?

The route I plan to take is From the terminal onto De Ruuterkade, round onto Stationsplien past the Ij onto Prins Hendrik Kade, and along until we hit Prisengracht and straight down there to The Anne Frank house.

We're quick walkers even with our teens in tow ~ I'm thinking 40minutes should be fine but I don't want to book tickets and then turn up late :rolleyes:

If anyone has done the walk previously I'd be grateful if you'd let me know ~ We are planning a leisurely walk back to the ship so it would be straight from ship to Museum on the way there

Cheers Shell

If you have all day in Amsterdam, you should not have to hurry to get to the Anne Frank House. When we were there we took the "Amsterdam Walking Tour' that goes from the Centraal Station to the Anne Frank House and included several historic and interesting places to see along the way. The 'tour' is less than two miles so you can do it in one to two hours. Our friends had a reservation for 2:00 pm, got there a bit early and were let in rigth away. This was after arriving at the train station just after noon (following a trip to the Zaanse Schans that morning). We even had lunch on the Dam near the 'Nieuwe Kerk'.

For details of the walking tour go to http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam.html

From the Anne Frank House we walked back to ship sort of along the way you describe. Perhaps you might consider doing the walk in reverse.

If you're fast walkers then I think 40 minutes would be good - although we didn't walk from the port. Most people estimate 15/20 minutes to the central station - again depending on how fast you walk. Of course, if you're dragging luggage it'll take a bit longer. But its a nice walk and the area if OK.

I agree, Peg. To walk from the cruise terminal to the train station is one kilometer and takes about 15 minutes along the waterfront. We did this a couple times, including hauling a suitcase to go to the train and back home. It wasn't a bad walk (flat and a nice pedestrian path to the back entrance of the station) and certainly beats going into and outof the tram (No. 25 or 26) with big bags.

We're only in Amsterdam for an afternoon stop that's why I'm trying to make the most of our time ;)

We walk a lot anyway and I cover 1.6k on the way to work everyday in about 20mins.

We are prebooking tickets for anne frank house before we leave so we can avoid the queues and after we have done that we are going to wander back via a few of the sights.

Cheers for the info

Shell x

Lair Bear ~ in case you "stop" back ~ a gazillion thanks for all your posting and walking tours!!! Thanks to YOU, last year, we completely enjoyed Zaansa Sachs in Netherlands and Soumellina in Fineland - my DH just loved the submarine!!! Your Walking tour added SO much to Tallinn!!! You really added to the joy of our Baltic Cruise!!

Lair Bear ~ in case you "stop" back ~ a gazillion thanks for all your posting and walking tours!!! Thanks to YOU, last year, we completely enjoyed Zaansa Sachs in Netherlands and Soumellina in Fineland - my DH just loved the submarine!!! Your Walking tour added SO much to Tallinn!!! You really added to the joy of our Baltic Cruise!!

The #26 tram runs in front of the Cruise terminal and will take you to central station and town. When you exit the cruise terminal look to the left and the tram stop is just a few feet. At central station you can take the #13 or #17 tram to Westermarkt stop. Anne Frank House is just around the corner to the right. You can buy the tram ticket on the tram and the drivers speak English. We did this and it was very easy. We got to Anne Frank before it opened and where the first in. I got tickets online before we left home. We walked back to the ship from there. It was very easy to take the tram and no need to walk.

Whow! That is too much praise for a little homework. But, thank you for those comments. I must add here that we also enjoyed the Zaanse Schans - again (because we were there a number of years ago with our kids). Also, our day in Helsinki turned out good for us. Too bad we missed the submarine.

Yet, I am always convinced that to do some research before you arrive will help the total enjoyment of a trip. Then to do some of these things on your own, rather than taking a ship's tour, will mean a lot more in the long run.

The #26 tram runs in front of the Cruise terminal and will take you to central station and town. When you exit the cruise terminal look to the left and the tram stop is just a few feet. At central station you can take the #13 or #17 tram to Westermarkt stop. Anne Frank House is just around the corner to the right. You can buy the tram ticket on the tram and the drivers speak English. We did this and it was very easy. We got to Anne Frank before it opened and where the first in. I got tickets online before we left home. We walked back to the ship from there. It was very easy to take the tram and no need to walk.

As for that tram that leaves near the ship, last year we were there 2 days (35 day cruise) and on the 2nd morning, we walked towards the tram/streetcar stop with others and it was drizzling rain and were nearly at the tram and he saw us and took off. Left us stranded. There was a countdown clock which started at 29 minutes and we watched it go to 0 minutes and then 29 minutes again! No tram. Finally, we walked back to the ship, we had a hop on hop off canal ticket which was still valid (24 hours) and took it to the zoo which is where we wanted to go. It was a long walk in the opposite direction from the tram stop to the water taxi stop but at least it came and on time.

They do have "guides" near Central Station but many of them do not have a clue where things are.

As for that tram that leaves near the ship, last year we were there 2 days (35 day cruise) and on the 2nd morning, we walked towards the tram/streetcar stop with others and it was drizzling rain and were nearly at the tram and he saw us and took off. Left us stranded. There was a countdown clock which started at 29 minutes and we watched it go to 0 minutes and then 29 minutes again! No tram. Finally, we walked back to the ship, we had a hop on hop off canal ticket which was still valid (24 hours) and took it to the zoo which is where we wanted to go. It was a long walk in the opposite direction from the tram stop to the water taxi stop but at least it came and on time.

They do have "guides" near Central Station but many of them do not have a clue where things are.

How was the zoo?

How was the zoo?

The Artis Zoo was great. It is amazing how much they got inside that area. It did not seem crowded yet they had everything that a much larger zoo would have. Amazing.

We spent nearly all day there and thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of great animals, birds, fish, you name it. They had a planitarium which is a good way to spend some time sitting down and the buildings were fantastic. The admission is about 18 euros. Well worth it.

We are planning on going on the 9-7-11 trip and see that you will be going also. Any idea why Celebrity has discounted this cruise so nicely? How do we get on the roll call? We would like to share transfers & do it yourself tours. We would like if you could share any info you already have and look forward to meeting you.

Irene and Penny - 2 single ladies from FL

Hi Irene & Penny ~ Welcome to our cruise!!! I "ran" into you on our Roll Call - didn't answer there since I was still reading CC - just go to the "end"!!

You may have read on the RC that my DH - John - is an historian so we tend to spend time "doing" history!! in Bruges we're thinking of the ship excursion to Ypres - it included the Flanders Field Museum and the WWI English cemetery. A new couple from Australia is looking into WWI tours there - I really couldn't find toomuch and there didn't seem like too much interest in that area a few months ago - but new passangers may bring new interest!!

Amsterdam ~ we arrive on the 4th - we were on a Baltic Cruise last year and spent 3 nights post-cruise there. Many are getting into town a day or two or three early - we're planning a get-together dinner at an Indoneasian Rice Table: Welcome to Indonesian Restaurant Indrapura - tel +31 (0)20 6237329 - fax +31 ( Just post on the Roll Call if you'll be in Amsterdam early and want to join us - I'll also post an up-dated list on the RC.

Cherbourg ~ we're part of a filled private tour to D-day beaches and Bayeux Tapestry.

Vigo ~ also part of a filled tour to Santiago and winery.

Gibraltar ~ we're planning on taking a taxi or van for a tour to see the monkeys and WWII tunnels (hopefully!!). From what I've read about Gibraltar hiring at the port seems to be the best way to go. We hope to form a small group once we're on board or ahead of time!

Palermo ~ sounds macarb but I'd like to see the Capuchin Catacombs - maye will take a taxi or bus. Then we'll come back near the port and maybe see the Cathedral and then have an Italian dinner!!

Athens ~ hard to say - we were there in 2008 and saw the Acropolis. It wasn't one of John's favorite cities - too pushy - and that's coming from NYCers!! I'd really like to see Corinth and the canal or maybe the new museum - just haven't gotten my act together to contact a tour!!

Istanbul ~ we're staying 4 nights (leaving on the 23rd) so hope to see lots and lots of places!!! 4 of us are staying at the Sirkeci Konak and some others (6 I think) are booked at the Hotel Amira.

So now tell us about what your plans are!!! Pre/post cruise?? Ports?? What are your thoughts???

As for price - I can't tell you why its dropped so much but good for those who can/are take advantage ot the savings!!! We're holding onto our cabin - booked an aft (7203) while on last year's cruise - same cabin we loved it SO much!! Paid C3 prices for the C1 cabin!! When fares dropped I got greedy and tried to pay the new price - Celebrity said fine - I could pay the new C3 price but for a C3 cabin!! NO - I kept my aft!!! But anyway - perhaps the unusal ports aren't attractive - they're what got us! Also its been on one of the boards about Europe not selling - I think mostly because of the weak $$ and the high airfare. But, in my opinion, this cruise has become a great value for those who are adventurous!!

We'll be arriving on September 3rd and looking for nice, moderately priced hotel in Amsterdam for the 4 nights. We will also be staying over in Istanbul for 3 nights and looking for the same type of accommodations. Anyone have any suggestions?

Irene & Penny

Irene & Penny ~ you might also want to post about the hotels on our Roll Call site - many of us are staying pre & post trip and might have suggestions.

For Istanbu, I listed the two hotels that seem to be the most popular among our group.

In Amsterdam we're more "spread out". Three of us are staying in a B&B that's now filled and others in various other places around the city.

Have you been to either city?? Istanbul is new for us but, last year, we spent an enjoyable 4 days in Amsterdam post-Baltic cruise. It's a great city - just watch out for the bikes - they're everywhere!!!

Come chat on our Roll Call!!

Archived