What to do in Anchorage?

gm217

We are landing in Anchorage early afternoon. I am looking for something nearby to do after we check into our downtown hotel. Also, we have the entire day to do a tour of some kind the next day. Any advice or reccomendations would help.

We are landing in Anchorage early afternoon. I am looking for something nearby to do after we check into our downtown hotel. Also, we have the entire day to do a tour of some kind the next day. Any advice or reccomendations would help.

i highly recommend the Native Alaska Heritage Center. it is very informative and interesting. they have a display house for each of the different groups of Alaskans, a museum and a great hall where native groups do storytelling, dances and discuss being Alaskan. i found it incredible interesting and learned a lot. YMMV

i also recommend eating at Glacier Brewhouse. they brew not only their own beer but cream soda and root beer. food is fabulous too.

there is a free walking tour offered by the tourist bureau downtown. nothing too strenuous and a nice way to learn a bit about the town.

i am sure others have better ideas on how to see/do Anchorage. but this is what we did the last time and it was something my teens still talk about. ;)

google 'Anchorage visitor information' and you should find the city's web site with lots of recommendations. Anchorage.net maybe ?

If you want a tour, SALMONBERRY has been recommended in the past. They are listed in the city web site.

I suggest that you borrow an Alaska travel book from the library or buy one so that you can learn about the ports you'll visit. It will really enhance your trip. There are even a couple of books about Alaska cruises.

Archived