Shuttle Launch on Day Cruise Leaves

izzypooch

Hi,

We are leaving out of Port Canerval next Sunday, May 8th, which might be the new day set for the Shuttle Launch. It would be so cool if we could see it from the ship.

Was wondering if anyone has been lucky enought to see a launch as a ship was leaving. Was also wondering what experience anyone has had as far as traffic getting to the dock on a shuttle launch day. We live in central Florida so it normally takes us about an hour and a half to get to the dock and I'm thinking the roads might really be conjested.

I didn't see it from the ship, but there was a launch on the day we sailed. PC was quite busy that day, but I just blamed it on the Dream sailing. Since this is the final launch I would imagine traffic might be an issue. It's so cool you will be in PC for the final launch.

I hope that this is not the date the shuttle launches because we will be getting off our cruise. From reading the NASA website it is optimistic with all the problems they are working on. If it ends up being this day we may just have to stay and watch :D

a couple years ago we were leaving on the Glory on Saturday and when were coming into Pt Canaveral on Friday we saw all these cars and RV's on the side of the road. Thought the fishing was just good or something. So when we arrived on at the Radisson and flipped on the TV in the room we saw the Countdown to Launch. We were shocked and thought just how lucky we were. How great is this we are actually going to get to see a shuttle launch!!! so we went out and about and enjoyed our day then went to dinner while we watched the countdown on TV. then when it got close to time we went to the beach and just waited next thing we saw the sky light up almost daylight bright as it was a night launch. Such an Awesome sight to be able to witness. And the best part is I got to see all this with My Wife and Son! The shuttle had been delayed a couple of times before we got their as this was why it was launching when we went. I can't imagine trying to plan this but what an awesome sight to see!!!:D

I hope you are lucky enough to witness the launch from the ship. They dock in an excellent viewing location. Bring binoculars and a camera with a good zoom lens.

The downside is that traffic will be an absolute nightmare before and especially after the launch. Make sure you allow plenty of time to get to the ship if it's near launch time.

I would at least double the time to get to the port on launch day or triple it. It all depends on what time you have to be on the ship and when the launch it. Right after the launch everyone is trying to get back home so all the roads are stop and go, (at least 3 hours from I-95 to the 417 on 528).

Of course that is going away from the port to Orlando, but that trip would normaly be 30-40 min. Me I will be extra early for my cruise if you miss it you are out of luck, so a couple of hours early is nothing for a week of fun in the sun.

Sailed the Glory several years ago. Launch time was about an hour after sailaway. Ship left the dock, went out a little way and stopped so we could watch the launch. If was the highlight of the cruise. Had always wanted to see a launch and it did not disappoint.

Keith

We were in Cocoa Beach for a couple of days before our cruise on the Glory just hoping that we would get to see the launch of the Atlantis, it was originally supposed to launch somewhere between Aug 28-30, 2006 but of course had many scrubs. Luckily for us it did finally launch on the day we were set to cruise Sept. 6, 2006! We just watched it from the side of the road just to the north of the cruise terminal on the side of the highway. We then drove to the car rental agency turned the car in and got on the ship. It was the most awesome thing to see, it is so different to see in person!

My DH and I were on first cruise in 06 in Dec and we were very fortunate that there was a launch that day. Just before sailaway my DH had the pleasure of talking with a gentleman who does reporting for the launches. ( he just happend to be on vacation ) and we learned a great deal. He pointed out the launch site and when we got home and had the pics come back I was shocked that our camera made it that far to catch the picture of it. The traffic was normal as I could tell but we did see many RV's parked on the highway. Unfortunatly the launch was scraped for the weather. But it went the next night.

We used to live in West Palm Beach and my job required me to travel to Port St. Lucie on a daily basis. I was fortunate enough to sneak away twice to see shuttle launches. They are definitely worth seeing. It happens so fast though, and makes you want to see another one very soon.

i sincerely hope you get to witness one, but since you live in Florida, it probably won't be the first one you've seen. We were also in Orlando one morning when the shuttle was landing. We heard the sonic booms, and stuff, but couldn't see the shuttle itself as it was landing.

I love the space program, and it's a shame that the program is coming to an end. They won't have any manned flight programs in the near future. Obama put an end to NASA's plan to go back to the moon. So what will NASA do now except launch unmanned satellites? Oh well, enjoy one of the last launches.

You will have an excellent view of the launch from the ship! But if the launch is scheduled for the day of your departure I would plan on spending the night near the port if at all possible. I believe they are expecting over 700,000 people in that area to see the final liftoff!

We were going on the Dream on Feb 26th & went a couple days early to see the shuttle launch on Feb 24th we were at Fishlips. The Disney Dream & I believe it was the Carnival Sensation was in port, the shuttle went off at 4:40 i believe & the ships waited until after liftoff before they left.

If the shuttle launch is that day you will see it from the ship. Look to the north east at launch time. I would go very early so your not caught in traffic. Traffic to the port isn’t as bad as leaving it can take up to 4 hours to get to Orlando unlike the normal 45 min. Enjoy your cruise! We leave out of Miami that day. Can’t wait!

Unfortunately, according to Nasa's updated launch schedule there won't be a launch on Sunday either. Earliest date is Tuesday of next week, 5/10. We've been fortunate enough to see the launches from our home and will really miss them when they are no longer going into space. I think it would be amazing to see from a ship.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html

We were in FL last week and were really disappointed that the launch was postponed. I even had friends there that work for NASA and were invited to view the launch. I have never seen the launch, but like another poster said I was in Orlando once and heard the sonic boom when it landed one year. It shook the hotel we were staying in. Too bad it looks like it won't launch until the 10th, that would have been awesome to see from the ship.

Archived