Travelguard and when to buy

maxwebr

I have decided to use Travel guard for my upcoming Aug cruise. Mainly cause it is considerably cheaper than PG insurance.

I was wondering how soon in advance do you need to book? I would rather wait until end of July to pay for the insurance, if possible.

We need more information. You only have a certain time to purchase if you want to have the pre-existing conditions clause waived.

We don't know when you made your initial deposit on your cruise so don't know if the applies or not.

Do you have pre-existing conditions? If you do and you are past the time period to waive that condition then you need to purchase from CSA Travel Pro the Freestyle Luxe program so it will waive pre-existing conditions. There is no look back period on that as the others have.

I agree with Pat, we've done a bunch of research on this lately, and what we learned is that while you can certainly wait until you actually have more $$ exposed (such as when your final payment is due) to buy insurance, you stand to lose a lot of the benefits (depending on the policy).

But for us paying ahead was worth covering preexsisting conditions. We learned that this is not just OURS but also any one else's conditions that would cause our cancellation, so if an elder with a heart ailment passes due to that ailment we may not be covered. We also learned that for our Travelguard policy, the financial default coverage is only in effect if paid within a certain amount of days of booking.

Of course every policy is different, but that is what we learned about insurance while doing research recently.

Better safe than sorry, I always say. If you're on the fence about to buy or not, I'd recommend going for it, if for nothing else, the peace of mind. Of course, I've always had good luck with travel insurance, Travel Guard in particlar. I just read another good review of theirs today on Trip Advisor. Their discussion forums are a great place to get second and third opinions.

Archived