Kauai Question

sunshine426

We will be in Kauai in April (off the Island Princess). We have a rental car and the day is open for adventure. Any recomendations for us. We will be biking in Hilo and scuba-diving in Kona, we like hiking, snorkeling, etc, (not big shoppers). Thanks for all the help. Karen

I would recommend seeing Waimea Canyon, the "Grand Canyon of Hawaii." Very beautiful, but also tends to be windy and cool so bring a jacket or sweater. The drive down from the canyon is also stunning. We drove the coastline in Poipu, did some shopping at Na Hoku, stopped to see the Spouting Horn, and drove through the Tunnel of Trees. We early dinner reservations that evening so we didn't spend a full day sightseeing and we missed a lot.

Have a great time.

Waimea Canyon definitely. Go all the way to the top though, to Kokee State Park where you look down on the Na Pali coast. However, the trip North to Hanalei and Princeville can be very rewarding too, with some spectacular views and some great beaches.

I totally agree. Get your car as early as possible. Get a map from home and head straight out to Waimea. Don't stop at any pull-offs until on the way down. This will be very hard to do but timing is everything. After you have arrived all the way to the top, on your way down, stop at the restaurant for breakfast and then pull off into as many parking areas as you have time for. It is beautiful. The clouds often roll in later in he day which also contain rain. This is why you go straight up first. On your way back to Lihue, go down the road to Poipu and to Spouting Horn then stop at Poipu Beach for a while to relax. It is lovely. If you have time when you return the car, walk over to the grounds of the Marriott hotel. If you can tour the golf course areas and islands, that is very pretty walking area also.

Bon Voyage

It's on Mount Wai'ale'ale. I don't think you can actually get there, but the final lookout at the end of Waimea Canyon road (or perhaps the larger one before it) also has a "wettest spot" sign. The views from the last lookout (Pu'u o Kila) are spectacular. GO EARLY--the clouds often come in as the day goes on (the inversion effect). However, the day we were there, the clouds would come into the valley and then kind of disappear. Later in the afternoon though, the Na Pali area was completely obscured by clouds. You can't know what the weather will be in the canyon until the day you go. It is well worth it. Plan plenty of time to stop at the various lookouts and at Koke'e Lodge. Do be careful walking on the red dirt. I fell and broke my ankle when I slipped sideways in the dirt. (Kind of ruined that cruise for us because I had to go home early.) It is very slick--wear good shoes with textured soles.

beachchick

I just spent five days in Kauai and it was easily my favorite island. Waimea canyon is great - (I have never seen grand canyon), but as someone noted the north shore is also visually spectacular. It does some times rain there and it can be overcast, but another option for you is to drive all the way around to where the road ends on the north shore and hike the first part of the kalalau (sp?) trail that spans the napili coast. We only checked out a short part of the trail but our travelling companions said it was amazing. If you do go this route and have time check out the views from the princeville resort lobby of hanalei bay and bali hai. They are unbelievable and the beach at the princeville can be very nice if you have a sunny day. We also did a horseback riding excursion (1 and 1/2 hour ride) with princeville stables that took place on the bluffs overlooking the ocean. That was amazing and we even got to see whales from the shore.

The south side of the island is also very nice and poipu beach is beautiful. My SO liked the south side better, but I think I liked the north side. It may be cloudy or drizzly but there is nothing like seeing the scenes from south pacific come to life. It is truly paradise!

Either way you can't lose. Have a great trip!

If you have a car and only one day, and you enjoy hiking, I would definately hit the north shore and hike the first leg of the Kalaulau trail. It's about 4 miles roundtrip to a small beach, 8 miles if you wanted to hike on to a waterfall. The hike is beautiful, not to be missed. Wear appropriate footwear as the trail is solid rock and has a nice coating of slippery mud when it rains. Bring dry socks or water shoes for river crossings, unless you like hiking in wet shoes :) The trail is easy to find, just keep driving along the north shore until the road ends.

After the hike go have a bite to eat at Zelo's Beach House and walk along the bay. Or, before you hike, stop by the Hanalei gourmet in the old school house and get some sandwiches to take on the hike.

Just keep in mind this is probably a 1-1.5hour drive from the port.

The north shore is the most spectacular part of the island, and if I only had one day it is where I would go.

If you do Waimea, there are some nice hiking trails there. The Alakai Swamp trail and Pihea trail are both quite nice and end with stunning views over the napali coast, but they can be extremely muddy and a little more intense.

http://www.hawaiitrails.org/ has an overview of the various hikes.

Debtman, Thanks for the website and they great information. I think this might be the direction we go if we can get off the ship and to our rental car in a timely fashion. We love to explore, and like the physical activity of a hike. Sunshine.

I'd suggest an early morning chopper ride to see it all and then decide on what you want to explore further. You can cover the whole island in an hour by helicopter and that would give you lots of time to go back to the most appealing site by car.

Archived