Evening Folklore Show in St. Petersburg

I am looking for information on the theater in which this show is presented, in particular the accessability for someone with some difficulty in managing stairs without railings. Also info if this show is offered in more than one theater. Thanks in advance !! :)

I am looking for information on the theater in which this show is presented, in particular the accessability for someone with some difficulty in managing stairs without railings. Also info if this show is offered in more than one theater. Thanks in advance !! :)

I'm not sure which cruise line you are on but we have booked this evening through HAL and this is what their site says:

The theater is not wheelchair accessible; there are stairs and no elevator, but it can be arranged to bring wheelchair guests through the lobby of the adjacent hotel, which connects to the theater. Please advise the Shore Excursion Desk on board ahead of time in order to arrange this.

Hope this helps! :)

I did some searching and found only one theatre offering folk shows in St. Petersuburg - the Nikolaevsky Palace. Here is their website description of the venue and the show. From the description, it appears that the venue has a grand staircase which you would need to navigate:

Folk Show

Passing the entrance (beautifully renovated) to the Palace you will find yourself in the lobby - with its fabulous gala stairs leading to the Concert Hall and other beautifully renovated halls of the Palace. Courteous cavalier and elegant ladies in crinolines will greet you on the stairs showing you the way and making you forget the time. Beautiful melodies of the past performed by a professional musical quartet will give you impression that you are simply traveling through centuries: and this is just a beginning!

Now it's time to show you something REALLY RUSSIAN! Here in a cozy and nicely decorated Concert Hall of the Nikolaevsky Palace we will give you more than just an opportunity to see unforgettable folk show performance "Feel Yourself Russian": you will not only FEEL involved - you will BE really involved! During two hours of this dynamic colorful and pictureous show, you will hear tuneful folk songs - romantic, and full of life, watch sparkling dances of different provinces of Russia, - and learn that some items - such as saws, wooden spoons, and other traditional household appliances, - can also be used as musical instruments! And - oh, miracle! - suddenly you will find yourself right on the stage dancing like a real Russian, playing folk games and enjoying yourself!

The folk show is represented with 4 professional folk groups: "Peters Quartet", "Souvenir", "Maidan", "Stars of St.Petersburg".

The show consists of two parts (45 minutes each) and lasts for 1 hour 50 minutes including a break, during which the guests are offered some canap?s with red caviar, cheese, ham, and also some fruit, champagne, red wine, vodka, juice and mineral water. During a break - live music is playing, beauties in crinolines are dancing for you - and candle light reflected in your glass gives your wine the color of a precious stone:What a nice thing to be a guest of Grand Duke!

When the show is over you leave the palace keeping unique experience: now you know what is it - to feel like a Grand Duke, like a Cossack, maybe even like a Tsar - in the other words - to feel yourself Russian!

If you choose this, go direct to the theatre box office http://tickitnow.com/?p=theatre&playbill=7 where tickets are cheaper than through broker.

Last year on our Baltic Cruise we saw the FolkLore show at the Nikolaevsky Palace - it was a fabulous evening! We had a private tour (4 couples) with SPB and got our tickets through them.

If you're taking a tour through a St. Petersburg tour company I would check with them about accessability. There is a large grand staircase that we used - railings on both sides if I remember correctly.

As far as I know the show is offered only in one venue - twice the evening we were there.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on two Baltic Cruise trips on two different lines. The last trip was this May. On both ships a Russian folk show was held on the ship. usually this is held in the late afternoon of the day departing from the port. Of the "Folk" shows held on the ship the Russian one was the best.

While we did not partake in the extra folklore show, the people who did go from our group were very happy with it. In my entire time posting on these boards, I ahve never heard one complaint about the folk Lore show.

We sailed on the NCL Jewel, and she also had a Russian folk group on board to entertain the passengers. As was already stated, they performed on the afternoon of our second day in port. We just happened to get back right at the beginning of the show, and it was wonderful. Why they didn't use this as the evening's entertainment, I don't know. Probably not to spoil the ship trying to sell excursions to the show at the Nikolaevsky Palace .

Here are a couple of clips from the show

Hope you enjoy

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1055.mp4

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1057.mp4

Cheers

Len

• 2 months later...

we saw the show on 29 July 2011...the stairs that you have to navigate are approximately 78...up 4 flights...the depth of the stairs is very shallow and that made the trek up and down easier for me...I also had my husbands arm for security. The show is good and although not an air condiotioned building it seemed quite cool.

We were at the Folkloric show on July 15 at the Nicholas Palace and it does have quite a large staircase and no elevator. I am trying to attach a picture and hope it works. The picture illustrates just one part of the staircase. I think there were 3 flights like this. Maybe 4. If you can manage the stairs, it is a spectacular show! We absolutely loved it!

Leslie

staircase.jpg.bcc517c61caa02560ba1cd6e45dc6b1f.jpg

We attended the show on July 29 , 2011 and the show is a lot of fun. However, this building is not handicap friendly...there are 78 stairs and it is 4 flights. I needed the arm of my husband to climb the stairs. The depth of the stairs is shallow so that helps somewhat. The building is also not air conditioned. The seating is first come first serve so someone in your group should make a beeline for seats while slower folks navigate the stairs. Hope this helps

Archived