POA-Rough seas in December?

Am I crazy to consider the POA in December for my family's first ever cruise? The Kids Sail Free promotion has definitely caught my eye.:)

CruisingGoddess (awesome review!) and others have talked about how rough the seas can be around the Hawaiian islands at that time. Is there any other first-hand knowledge out there? Am I silly to even worry about it, or is it an important consideration for first-time cruisers?

I sailed on the POA 2 years ago in December. Did not have a problem with bad sea conditions. The weather was great for most of the cruise, raining in Kauai but other than that it was a great experience. Great way to see Hawaii. Would highly recommend this cruise for families.:)

I sailed on the POA 2 years ago in December. Did not have a problem with bad sea conditions. The weather was great for most of the cruise, raining in Kauai but other than that it was a great experience. Great way to see Hawaii. Would highly recommend this cruise for families.:)

Thank you so much! If I read one negative review and one positive review, I'll go with the positive review every time!:)

I know that weather is impossible to predict, but you've made me feel much better! Our kids will be 13 and 12 in December, so I think that they would have a blast! We were on the Big Island in February and saw the POA in Hilo and again in Kona, so our curiousity was piqued!

We flew into HNL a day prior, we did a city tour which included Pearl Harbor, Punch Bowl and Diamond Head. After embarkation we got a day room at a hotel on Waikiki Beach, shopped, layed on the beach and got sunburned before flying out about 10pm. I bought a Frommers Hawaii guide prior to sailing and highlighted everything we wanted to see and do. The ship is great, not a ton of night life but honestly you are pretty tired after touring the islands all day. If you have any questions, let me know, I would be happy to share.

We flew into HNL a day prior, we did a city tour which included Pearl Harbor, Punch Bowl and Diamond Head. After embarkation we got a day room at a hotel on Waikiki Beach, shopped, layed on the beach and got sunburned before flying out about 10pm. I bought a Frommers Hawaii guide prior to sailing and highlighted everything we wanted to see and do. The ship is great, not a ton of night life but honestly you are pretty tired after touring the islands all day. If you have any questions, let me know, I would be happy to share.

Don't you hate those overnight flights? What a great idea to get a day room. Would you recommend the hotel? Did you just take a cab to the hotel and then to the airport, or a shuttle of some kind?

Haven't cruised *that* POA, but I did cruise the other one (the Sky, back when it was the Pride of Aloha, in 2005). It was very late November/early December, and the only bad seas we had were the first night, right around dinnertime. And I can't really say they were that bad, because it was my very first night of cruising and it might have just been me getting used to the ship. Other than that--smooth sailing!

--Michael

Haven't cruised *that* POA, but I did cruise the other one (the Sky, back when it was the Pride of Aloha, in 2005). It was very late November/early December, and the only bad seas we had were the first night, right around dinnertime. And I can't really say they were that bad, because it was my very first night of cruising and it might have just been me getting used to the ship. Other than that--smooth sailing!

--Michael

Great to hear! I'm looking longingly at the owner's suites, which are at the front of the ship (I know...not the smartest thing if I'm worrying about feeling the motion of the sea). But, they are soooo tempting!:)

Don't you hate those overnight flights? What a great idea to get a day room. Would you recommend the hotel? Did you just take a cab to the hotel and then to the airport, or a shuttle of some kind?

We stayed at the Aston Waikiki on the Beach. Across the street from the beach, nice pool area and and ABC store (or 2) on the block along with great places to eat. With 4 people in your party I would recommend a taxi. The price per person for a shuttle will be more than a taxi and you wont have to stop at hotels to drop others off or pick up others on your way to the airport.

We were on the POA the last week of November two years ago. It was the first time I didn't have any problems with motion on a cruise. Don't know if that is so much how the ocean was at the time or because it was the first time I made sure I took Bonine every day.

You really can't predict but we had no trouble.

Oh, we got a day room on the last day too. It was awesome, we were at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It was $99 for the day for the four of us. We were given a huge suite ocean front suite. It was luxury after cramming all four of us in a inside cabinfor the week, lol. We were beat from running around the islands all week so just hung out by the pool and beach all day. I think our flight was at 8:00 pm so the 5 or 6pm check out was perfect. We checked in around 8 or 9 in the morning.

Oh, we got a day room on the last day too. It was awesome, we were at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It was $99 for the day for the four of us. We were given a huge suite ocean front suite. It was luxury after cramming all four of us in a inside cabinfor the week, lol. We were beat from running around the islands all week so just hung out by the pool and beach all day. I think our flight was at 8:00 pm so the 5 or 6pm check out was perfect. We checked in around 8 or 9 in the morning.

Oops! Double post!:o

Fabulous! I'll definitely check it out! Were you able to use a cab to the hotel and to the airport for 4 of you and all your luggage? I should also check into Bonine, just in case.:)

Yes, we just ealked off the ship ahead of most of the crowd, jumped in a cab. It was like a 5 minute cab ride. I can't remember if we took a cab to the airport or if there was a hotel shuttle.

Alos, I wonder if I meant to type " it was a sweet, oceanfront suite" instead of "suite, oceanfront suite" ? lol

Archived