High Beer Prices/Great Comp Wine

louiscg

Just got back from the Navigator and had a terrific cruise. We were amazed at the quality of food and service considering the size of the ship. (We typically sail on Seabourn and SeaDream.) Also enjoyed the entertainment choices.

But, I was less than impressed with the drink prices. (Yes, we milked dinner and the free cocktail parties as much as possible!) Heineken is now $5.50 at the Pool Bar (and elsewhere). What happened to the common wisdom that booze prices are low on cruise ships?

Conversely, we thought the complimentary wine list at dinner was terrific. Two of our favorites (Santa Margharita (sp?) Pinot Grigio and Coppola Diamond Series Claret) were poured freely. These are priced about at about $35 on local (no, not NY) restaurant wine lists. On the other hand, they also slipped in Caliterra (Chile) and some other not-so-memorable wines, but the better stuff was always available.

louiscg, We leave on the Navigatior April 27th our first time have been on many other lines Crystal is our favorite so far, have not been on Seabourn or SeaDream we our trying to cruise on all of them at least the good ones so how was the food? What did you like about the ship and what did you not like besides the prices for booze I had heard you can bring on your own so at least they aren't like the other lines who want to make sure they don't lose money by you BYOB.

Just excited about the trip so any info about the shipI would love to hear.

Thanks,

Denise

Since I'd heard that wine was complimentary, I just assumed (foolishly?) that beer was included also-- i.e. I thought the Radisson cruises were like all-inclusive resorts. My huband enjoys wine with dinner or a glass before dinner (neither of us enjoys hard liquor), but his main pleasure is a beer or 2 in the evening in the room. Will he be buying beer each evening?? Can they stock the cabin fridge with a week's worth of beer? Also, he usually likes to mix his beer with de-alk beer. I assume that Voyager will have non-alchoholic wine and beer at no extra charge?

Poss,

I think you can substitute your liquor setup for beer. Not sure what the ratio is, though. We did two bottles of wine in lieu of the hard liquor. For some reason, I seem to remember folks who substituted 2 sixpacks instead, but I'm not certain.

I am sure you can get beer instead of your hard liquor, though.

You'll find a few cans in the fridge at the beginning of the cruise, but will have to order any additional through room service for a charge. You can substitute beer for the liquor allocation, I think a six-pack per bottle. But since RSSC doesn't restrict bringing your own aboard, that's probably the best way to go. However, with the freely flowing wine with dinner, I find I seldom drink the initial beer allottment. I would imagine beer with dinner is complimentary, since most mixed drinks are complimentary in the dining room. Personally, I wish they would go all inclusive...but that's been overworked on other threads. Having said that, my bar bills on RSSC are usually miniscule or non-existent.

Hi!

I will also be going on this cruise. It will be my second trip on the Navigator this year. Complimentary beer or mixed drinks can be enjoyed at dinner. You will find 4 beers in the initial bar set up. The ship itself is beautiful, and the staff is the best. i am sure you will enjoy yourself.

Jennifer

Having said that, my bar bills on RSSC are usually miniscule or non-existent.

ZERO, on my 12 day Amazon cruise. I even did not get my standard Pina Colada by the pool. Every time I looked around the pool I did not see any funny umbra drinks so I did not know if they knew how to make one :p:p

While not a major thing, I did miss the "Drink of the Day" cards. They sometimes listed drinks I would order because they sounded good on other lines.

And I did get a funny look from my room stewardess when I told her I did not want the Welcome A Board champaigne but I am a very light drinker.

If there is a Captain's BBQ.... there is this table :eek:

0273.JPG

Thanks so much everyone. We'll be on Voyager, not Navigator (Baltics in July)-- I assume the drink situation is same on Voyager as Navigator? Or perhaps not. Perhaps there are different "rules" for diff ships and diff itineraries. I'm also curious abt whether the ship will have non-alcoholic wines and beer, which my husband often likes to mix at home (not the beer with the wine!) Not of great importance, just curious... Also, this will be a 35th anniversary celebration for us (in addition to its being our first cruise ever). I wonder if we'll get a nice bottle of champagne (our alchohol of choice) even though the actual date is several months later. These really are small matters though....

I once read that someone ordered beer (at dinner time) for room service. I was wondering if anyone ordered cocktails and got them complimentary at dinner time in your room? Thanks, Halo:o

Halo, you already have that in-room liquor for your cocktails in the cabin! Unless, of course, you have ordered Scotch and want a Mai-tai! Very interesting question! I could not believe, once when I was on a cruise (I thing it was PG) and they told me that 3 beers was the substitute for a bottle of liquor. I objected, and they finally gave 6.

Also, this will be a 35th anniversary celebration for us (in addition to its being our first cruise ever). I wonder if we'll get a nice bottle of champagne (our alchohol of choice) even though the actual date is several months later.
You can, of course, ask for a bottle of champagne as part of your cabin bar set-up. :)

And happy soon-to-be-35th anniversary!

LeeAnne

Archived