Cancelled Cruise Jewel Feb 23 2012

Just had a call from RCCI that Jewel Feb 23rd 2012 has been chartered, not open to the general public, and they would have to cancel my cruise. Offering $100 OBC for flights already booked (would not have stood for that!) and book 5 night for the cost of the 4 from Jan-March.

Luckily for me I had this booked as a B2B and was pretty certain I wouldn't cruise Feb 23rd anyway, so no harm no foul, but wanted to let others know who may have been watching this one. I had a roll call started with no one but me, so probably doesn't affect too many of you!

I'm not sure who would charter a whole cruise ship? Maybe a largeTA would and sell it out themselves? Would a company do this? I used to go to sales neetings with some fortune 500 companies I worked for and we easily had 3-6 thousand people at the meeting. But who is RSVP?

This happened to my wife and I earlier this year. We had booked a B2B on the Majesty of the Seas and the first half was chartered out from under us.

We ended up switching to the Navigator of the Seas because it was going to cost me too much to change my airfare.

They gave us $100 on board credit for the inconvience.

The "buckeye cruise for cancer" is advertising this sailing as a Charter... Lots of organizations put big groups on regular sailings, but this one sounds like it might be a full ship charter.

Annoying, yes, but not at all uncommon. I think you'll find lots of folks who have a "ship chartered out from under us" or "ship redeployed out from under us" story (happened to us on Asia cruises on legend.. TWICE). The line would rather take a guaranteed full ship (particularly if it's not selling well), and assume that most folks will slide over to another sailing. Accommodations vary, but In most cases they'll offer an alternate sailing, an OBC, and help with airline change fees.

I'm surprised that is all that they offered you. A few years back, we had a cruise booked that was chartered for a gay cruise (my mother was peeved because she said they sounded like a fun crowd). They paid our flight change fees, upgraded two balconies to junior suites and gave us onboard credit. It was closer to the sailing, however.

If you have other costs that you incur, I would let them know that you expect to be reimbursed.

Same thing happened to me for the second half of my B2B on Liberty later this year. Budweiser cruise. I was given $200 OBC but I think that was because I booked a JS. I was able to switch to the week before and with the OBC it was a wash, price-wise.

Archived