I know...another Early Saver ???

Sorry, in advance!!!

Here we go...

I have booked a 4J on the Destiny for $324 pp. The website shows a 6A for $299 pp. Does this qualify for a rate reduction? Final payment date is June 16. Also, do you have to take the upgrade in order to get the reduction?

One last question is if it is booked thru a TA do they submit the form? If I submit will it be rejected? First time using a TA and I think it's the last...I'm tooooooo controlling!!!

For early saver, if category 4J is sold out, you can upgrade and get the rate reduction, however you would have to take the upgrade and you must change cabins to the 6A to get it.

They make this policy since many people actually prefer the choice of specific cabin they have made in the lower category booked and may not like the cabin available in the upgraded category. Many may not like the upgraded cabin.

Some people may disagree that you have to change cabins to get the credit, but that has been my experience and the experience of most others on these boards - that you must do the upgrade.

And Yes - if you booked your cruise through a travel agent, then only the travel agent can submit the request. If you try to submit it yourself, it will be rejected, informing you that it must be submitted by the agent.

Quite a few agents hesitate or balk at submitting price reduction requests, because it results in a lower commission for them and the agency. However, a good travel agent should understand this possibility with early saver at the time of booking and should be happy to get the booking in the first place.

Here's another post I made comparing whether or not to do Early Saver, and a comparison of booking an early saver rate with a travel agent versus carnival directly.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28825397#post28825397

Yes it qualifies. There have been varying responses from Carnival about whether or not you have to upgrade to get that rate. I think their site says you have to, but try it and see.

If you booked thru a TA, they have to submit the form. That is not a reason for you to be turned down.

I personally will not book with a TA because the last one told me if I booked ES, I would have to pay his company $15 for every change pp, including price reductions. I just said no thank you and booked thru my PVP.

Many people on these boards get different responses, so if you happen to be denied, resubmit.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

For early saver, if category 4J is sold out, you can upgrade and get the rate reduction, however you would have to take the upgrade and you must change cabins to the 6A to get it.

They make this policy since many people actually prefer the choice of specific cabin they have made in the lower category booked and may not like the cabin available in the upgraded category. Many may not like the upgraded cabin.

Some people may disagree that you have to change cabins to get the credit, but that has been my experience and the experience of most others on these boards - that you must do the upgrade.

And Yes - if you booked your cruise through a travel agent, then only the travel agent can submit the request. If you try to submit it yourself, it will be rejected, informing you that it must be submitted by the agent.

Quite a few agents hesitate or balk at submitting price reduction requests, because it results in a lower commission for them and the agency. However, a good travel agent should understand this possibility with early saver at the time of booking and should be happy to get the booking in the first place.

Here's another post I made comparing whether or not to do Early Saver, and a comparison of booking an early saver rate with a travel agent versus carnival directly.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28825397#post28825397

Maybe then you can answer this for me. I booked the Imagination Jan 2 PT as early saver. When I check there is no 4J or PT to check rates, am I to assume that there will never be a price drop for me or anywhere for me to check... I am not new to Carnival but have just started to use ES as of last year. Many thanks.....

Category PT (porthole) is considered the lowest category on the ship. Never say never.

Even if category PT is now showing as sold out, that does not mean that someone may not cancel or upgrade in the future (especially closer to sailing date), thus opening up category PT again.

Also, you can keep an eye on all the category 4 (inside), 6 (outside), or even higher, and if any of those cabins have a lower price than what you paid, you would have the option to upgrade your cabin to one of those, and get a credit for the difference.

It is an oddity that category PT (porthole) is the lowest category, even lower than category 4A (inside), but that is just how they do it now. You may not consider it an upgrade to go from PT to 4A, but they do. So if the difference is significant enough, you may want to exercise this option, but keep in mind, you do have to change cabins (from what carnival has told me).

In the old days, category PT used to be called category 5A and used to be higher than 4 but not anymore. Some do not like the location of the category PT cabins, but most consider them possibly one of the best values on the ship as you get an "outside" type of cabin for less than the cost of the cheapest inside (but not always the case).

Yes it qualifies. There have been varying responses from Carnival about whether or not you have to upgrade to get that rate. I think their site says you have to, but try it and see.

If you booked thru a TA, they have to submit the form. That is not a reason for you to be turned down.

I personally will not book with a TA because the last one told me if I booked ES, I would have to pay his company $15 for every change pp, including price reductions. I just said no thank you and booked thru my PVP.

Many people on these boards get different responses, so if you happen to be denied, resubmit.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

TAs lose time & commission money when a rate reduction is given.

Category PT (porthole) is considered the lowest category on the ship. Never say never.

Even if category PT is now showing as sold out, that does not mean that someone may not cancel or upgrade in the future (especially closer to sailing date), thus opening up category PT again.

Also, you can keep an eye on all the category 4 (inside), 6 (outside), or even higher, and if any of those cabins have a lower price than what you paid, you would have the option to upgrade your cabin to one of those, and get a credit for the difference.

It is an oddity that category PT (porthole) is the lowest category, even lower than category 4A (inside), but that is just how they do it now. You may not consider it an upgrade to go from PT to 4A, but they do. So if the difference is significant enough, you may want to exercise this option, but keep in mind, you do have to change cabins (from what carnival has told me).

In the old days, category PT used to be called category 5A and used to be higher than 4 but not anymore. Some do not like the location of the category PT cabins, but most consider them possibly one of the best values on the ship as you get an "outside" type of cabin for less than the cost of the cheapest inside (but not always the case).

Thanks for the info. Does it make any difference that the PT is on the Empress Deck ?

You are on the Empress deck on the Imagination?

Your cabin is probably under theater so you may hear *some* noise during shows but not sure how much, and should be fine after later at night after shows have ended. I have not heard of any complaints though. Maybe someone else who has been in these cabins could add some input to that.

Archived