Panama Canal

Traveler30

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of a Panama Canal cruise either in the Month of October, or April. Does anyone recommend these months? What would the weather be like, I have been in the months of February and March, and the weather was beautiful. Friends of mine want to go either in October or April. What are your thoughts.

Thank you for your input.

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of a Panama Canal cruise either in the Month of October, or April. Does anyone recommend these months? What would the weather be like, I have been in the months of February and March, and the weather was beautiful. Friends of mine want to go either in October or April. What are your thoughts.

Thank you for your input.

I would not recommend going in October because you still have major threats of hurricanes in the Caribbean. April would be the better time to go. It hasn't gotten quite that hot yet and the sea is very calm at that time of the year. The ideal time to go is December, January or February. But if you have only those two choices, I would certainly recommend April over October.

we just disembarked from the Coral yesterday, after our full transit of the Canal and the weather was beautiful almost the whole time. Hot and humid, but no more so than we get here in the Northeast in the summer months. But, no rain (except for Jamaica).

I can definitely recommend April. And it was a fantastic trip. If I may suggest, however, as others have said I think you would be cheating yourself if you only did the round trip; the full transit was amazing! Hope that helps, and happy cruising!

5:00 Somewhere - Welcome back guys!;)

We have done the Panama Canal in October....no hurricanes for us. Actually, the fall is the best time for us to cruise & have decided to do the partial transit (10) days in 2012 again! This time we will be on the Island Princess instead of the Coral. Actually a cruise ship is one of the safest places to be - the captain will keep everyone out of harms way.:D

we just disembarked from the Coral yesterday, after our full transit of the Canal and the weather was beautiful almost the whole time. Hot and humid, but no more so than we get here in the Northeast in the summer months. But, no rain (except for Jamaica).

I can definitely recommend April. And it was a fantastic trip. If I may suggest, however, as others have said I think you would be cheating yourself if you only did the round trip; the full transit was amazing! Hope that helps, and happy cruising!

Hi.. We were on the same cruise as you and I believe we met in the Sanctuary on the last sea day.. Amy and Tony from Cleveland. I have to agree with you on the weather in April. It was AWESOME! (except Jamaica but we had a dolphin swim so we were gonna get wet anyways!) Also agree with the full transit. I couldn't imagine not seeing the beauty of the man made lakes!

I would not let the threat of hurricanes be the deciding factor. If you are considering a full transit October is also hurricane season in the Pacific as well:eek:! The ship will stay out of the way but there always could be rough seas because of a nearby hurricane as well as rough seas without a hurricane involved.. no gaurantees of smoothe sailing at anytime. The only thing you may wish to consider about October is that it is still well within the rainy season in Panama and much of the Southern Caribbean at that time of the year.

If you were in Panama during the months February and March you were right in the middle of the dry season which runs roughly from late December through April. Another caution to throw out here... Remember Dry season in Panama doesn't mean no rain, just less rain;):)!

Thanks everyone for your replies. That's what I thought. I have done the full transit and it was amazing, and would like to do it again. At the moment I am undecided when to go, but April sounds good.

Archived