Sunset Beach Resort, Montego Bay???

chill6x6

Any of you been to this place? What did you think of and and the overall experience? I have it booked but am kinda having cold feet. THANKS a lot for your response!

Port section is well, stagnant so posting here...

I have been there twice and had a great time!! Much cheaper than a ship excursion. Only a couple of miles from the dock, just take a cab for about $3..Usually the only people on the beach there are from the ships. The water was really pretty, and no nagging locals are allowed!! It is well worth the money for a nice day at the beach.

Yep, been there twice. It's nice, but be ready for the taxi drivers to try to convince you to go somewhere else. I believe they receive kick backs from certain places and that's why the push them. Just ask your driver to come back for you at a certain time. We love the pool.

Hi. Yes, stayed at the resort twice spending two full weeks there each time. One of our best holidays - would definitely go again at the drop of a hat. Lots to do and especially good for children.

We have been there twice and had a great time both times. It's clean, no haggling from locals, good food and good drinks.:D

Don't second guess your decision, you will have a great day!!:)

Thanks for the comments all!

EXACTLY what I was wanting to hear!

We've gotten a day pass there three times now. A great relaxing, fun day. You can email them to let them know you are coming but it isn't really necessary. We've done it both ways. It's really close to the ship and our cab has always returned at the time we asked (usually will be there earlier waiting for you).

Have been there once and had a grand time. All inclusive. Last I heard 60.00 a person. That is your food, alcoholic beverages and use of the non motorized water equipment and snorkel gear and of course the beach. Great place to spend the day!:)

We were there this past January when Voyager stopped in Montego Bay (since Falmouth wasn't ready). We were not looking forward to our Jamaica day but turned out this was the best day of our cruise. We had a great time and if we ever go back to Montego, we'd definitely get another day pass here.

We spent the morning on the beach, then had lunch at the buffet and in the afternoon we sat by the pool. It was not crowded and we had no problem finding lounge chairs. There were no lockers so don't take any valuables with you but no need to bring towels since they were provided.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your day at this resort.. the drinks were great too! ;)

Any of you been to this place? What did you think of and and the overall experience? I have it booked but am kinda having cold feet. THANKS a lot for your response!

Port section is well, stagnant so posting here...

We have been to Sunset 3 times, with kids, and felt totally safe and loved it. We also saw Carnival employees walking over to the Resort. WE felt like they probably know where the good places to go are. You have to turn in your sail and sign card and pick it up at the front gate as you leave. This made us a little nervous the first time. Also there is a walk up snack bar that you can get Jerk Chicken, hamburgers, fries etc for lunch, or an inside buffet area. We went in the inside buffet area with our cover ups on but were slightly still damp, and got in trouble. :( That was a little embarassing, as we are not usually rule breakers, but didn't realize that was a problem. I am trying to attach a couple of beach pics, but have never done pics before so I apologize ahead of time if it doesn't work. Hope yall have a great time.

2085385946_ConquestSisterCruise026.jpg.209d5a830202de9c249fc5c23eed3341.jpg

128401420_ConquestSisterCruise029.jpg.8a843524c182d31167964981a38cd7cc.jpg

We was there in March had a great time ,booked on line we did'nt have to leave or Sail and Sign card I wouldn't do that anyway.

We have been to Sunset 3 times, with kids, and felt totally safe and loved it. We also saw Carnival employees walking over to the Resort. WE felt like they probably know where the good places to go are. You have to turn in your sail and sign card and pick it up at the front gate as you leave. This made us a little nervous the first time. Also there is a walk up snack bar that you can get Jerk Chicken, hamburgers, fries etc for lunch, or an inside buffet area. We went in the inside buffet area with our cover ups on but were slightly still damp, and got in trouble. :( That was a little embarassing, as we are not usually rule breakers, but didn't realize that was a problem. I am trying to attach a couple of beach pics, but have never done pics before so I apologize ahead of time if it doesn't work. Hope yall have a great time.

We went there a few years ago before they opened the water park. It was great! I had a massage on the beach, can't remember how much $$ but it was WAY cheaper than on the ship. We prebooked the resort directly and I visited the spa once we got there and set my massage up then.

Happy cruising,

We booked through Carnival and rode a mini bus over.

Loved every minute of it...

I have lots of pictures and here a few.

P1020373.jpg

Water Park area

P1020386.jpg

Lobby

P1020388.jpg

Sorry so big.... I didn't check the size...

The beach was fabulous, although do note that they had a clothing optional beach but it was way north of the resort, and they had a metal fence... Again, it about a half a mile from the family beach.

We could also see the cruise ship from the beach...

Loved the food, and the people were very friendly, and also liked that we didn't have any aggresive venders on the beach...

I would definetly book it again, because of the safety factor and it was such an accomadating place for a day on the beach...

Texnewbie

Yep, been there twice. It's nice, but be ready for the taxi drivers to try to convince you to go somewhere else. I believe they receive kick backs from certain places and that's why the push them. Just ask your driver to come back for you at a certain time. We love the pool.

Did you get a taxi from Jamaicaforaday?Im kinda nervous about the taxi ride there.

Our ship will dock in Falmouth (Allure).

How far is Falmouth to this place?

Has anyone done this yet? How much will taxi cost? Should I book a private transfer company?

Thanks

Our ship is also docking in Falmouth and we came across a great review for the Hilton Rose Hall Resort and Spa which is also an all inclusive. It also has a waterpark. I'm pretty sure it is closer to Falmouth.:)

Edited by funfamilyof6

There is a line of taxis at the port. One time the driver of a small van had some other people and dropped them off first and then tried to charge us for a longer ride but we told he we knew it was close and would not pay more than $3 pp which he accepted. We also told him it would be the same if he wanted to pick up us later and he did. It is very close so we knew the resort could get us another cab if we needed but he was waiting for us later in the day.

That was the last time we went so I would suggest that you turn down larger vans and just grab a regular cab. There were six of us that time so a regular cab wouldn't fit us but the cabs are very regulated at the cruise port and they go out a check out point so it shouldn't be a problem. It helps if you tell them what the fare will be at the beginning.

The good thing about the larger van was that we met a young couple that planned on just getting dropped off at the beach and when we told them about Sunset Beach decided to go too and had a great day.

We are booking this for our stop on Mobay and here is the link we will be using. We are also book the transfer for $9.00 extra so we don't have to worry about taxis at all.

http://jamaicaforaday.com/Sunset_Montego_Bay_Resort.html

If I were you, I would NOT book the transfer. We did this back in January, also booking the transfer but it was more hassle than it was worth and we wasted about 45 minutes waiting at the port for the transfer. We met another couple who were also going to Sunset and they had booked the transfers as well so the four searched the port for this driver. The lady from the information booth in the terminal ended up calling them for us, hence, time wasted looking around the port for the driver and then waiting for them to come.

We arranged for the driver to come back for us, and the other couple at 2:30 !! Nobody showed up and we waited for a good 20 minutes before deciding to get our own taxi back to the port. There's not much difference between the taxi prices and what the cost of the transfers were. In the long run, it ended up costing us more since we'd basically already paid for the return transfer but had to fork out again for a taxi. :mad:

I reported this to the tour company shown in your link and was told we should have called from the hotel but the problem was we'd already "checked out" if you will. They'd removed our bracelets, returned our sign & sail card, and we were actually outside the hotel compound where the taxis pick up and drop off. We loved Sunset but I'd never book the transfers again, and the other couple said the same thing.

If you haven't already booked transfers, I'd say just pick up a taxi at the port..so much less hassle! ;)