Cell phones on Alaska cruise

Fitnessmaniac

This will be our first Alaska cruise. I have unlimited no roaming charge in USA. However..since this is Alaska ( I know it's USA) but..will there be roaming fees and/or even service on the Alaska cruise?

I have a ill mom I want to stay in contact with. We are leaving this week for Alaska.

thanks

We had good coverage in Alaska on our cell phone. No extra costs for us. But, and I am not sure, if they turn on the ships system, and you roam on to it, you will pay extra.

This will be our first Alaska cruise. I have unlimited no roaming charge in USA. However..since this is Alaska ( I know it's USA) but..will there be roaming fees and/or even service on the Alaska cruise?

I have a ill mom I want to stay in contact with. We are leaving this week for Alaska.

thanks

We've never had a problem with using our cell phone in Alaska...no extra charges on the bill. Just be sure when you go to use your phone, it shows your provider and does not say 'cellular at sea'. If it does, this means it is picking up the signal from the ship's cell tower and the charges will appear on your bill...and it is about $3 a minute.

Once you are in Canada -- you can even call and pick up Roger's phone service and the charge is about $1 a minute. We used our cells many times in Alaska with a very elderly parent and never had a problem.

Just of note -- if you listen to your messages while sailing - the charge is still at the cellular at sea rate. My advice is to just turn your phone off while at sea if that is feasible. Good luck with your mom and hope you have a great time.

Archived