Diamond: Good areas for viewing in Alaska?

vmom

We will be going southbound on the Diamond in Alaska and will be going to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

Looking for any suggestions about good spots for viewing. We have an obstructed outside cabin, so for good visibility we will need to go out onto a outside public area.

Also, about what time, or how early do I need to get out to get a spot for viewing? Do most people use their balconies or there a lot of people looking for good viewing spots in the public outside areas? How is the visibility

and how crowded does Skywalkers get?

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!

We also will be on the Diamond SB in June and this will be our 2nd trip.

It was my experience that you do not have to fight for a good spot to view from the deck. I always got up early to get my tea in the morning and walked around the ship and it felt like I was by myself. At sea you just have to keep watch out for a whale or dolphins or killer whales.

When you go into glacier areas the captain turns the ship around so you get to see everything.

At port I love to just sit on my balcony before going ashore or after returning at the end of the day just people watching.

For general viewing, the higher you get on the ships decks the better the view you will get. Also the higher you get on deck the smaller the viewing areas are so they do get a little crowded but not that bad.

The weather can make it bad for out side areas so inside viewing and trying to get a table next to a window is tough sometimes.

If there is a crowd and people are hogging the tables during bad weather I either just walk in between the tables up to the glass or go to my room and look off my balcony.

There are many areas to view from and you will find your favorite I am sure.

EB

When we were on Diamond Princess on Emerald Deck forward, the best place we found was the upper level of the promenade. We got there easily by going through an emergency exit door that our steward had pointed out and said was okay to use. That part of the promenade goes completely around the bow so we could see from port or starboard and to the front. We could not see to the aft. In Glacier Bay, there were many people there but it was never so crowded that we could not find somewhere at the rail.

It may be a bit cold, but the views are awesome from the viewing deck way above the pool area. From the pool (middle pool) go up the stairs than you will see one more set of stairs up take this to a little viewing area high up. We love to watch sunsets there, and had great views of the Hong Kong light show from up there.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I have to go through my warm clothes to see what to bring while looking at all that fabulous scenery.

Does it get crowded early by the upper pool area or can we make our way out there at leisure?

We enjoyed the lounge chairs on the Promenade deck when we were on the Diamond in Alaska last year.

We also enjoyed being on the Promenade deck for scenic cruising. They'll come around with a cart with hot chocolate, coffee and specialty coffees... nothing like an Irish coffee when viewing a glacier! :p

Believe it or not if you are patient and wait a bit free deck space will be available EVERYWHERE on the open decks, the indoor lounges less so. If you got gloves, hat, sunglasses and gortex nothing like being on deck. After the intial excitment dies down lots of space even in the best of weather. No need for expensive balcony or looking thru your obstructed porthole either :D

We will be going southbound on the Diamond in Alaska and will be going to Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

Looking for any suggestions about good spots for viewing. We have an obstructed outside cabin, so for good visibility we will need to go out onto a outside public area.

Also, about what time, or how early do I need to get out to get a spot for viewing? Do most people use their balconies or there a lot of people looking for good viewing spots in the public outside areas? How is the visibility

and how crowded does Skywalkers get?

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived