royal caribbean excursions to St John - Shade

kelzer

Hi,

We are going on a cruise on the Oasis this summer and stopping at St Thomas. We have been to Sapphire Beach (so beautiful but found the restrooms to be unpleasant to say the least) and Megan's Bay (again, beautiful). This time, we thought we would try Trunk Bay. For health reasons, I cannot be in the sun for too long so am wondering how much shade there is at Trunk Bay and also, if the transportation provided by royal caribbean is covered or open to the sun. Thanks.

There is shade at all the beaches in St Thomas, but there may not be enough shade for everyone. If you get there early there shouldn't be a problem finding a spot under a tree at the beach. There are plenty of trees on the grounds, though, so even if you can't find a shady spot for your towel there'll be shade not too far.

Most of the vessels that take people to neighboring islands have shade and outside areas. I don't know what this tour offers, but more than likely there'll be some shade. You can always take an umbrella - don't laugh! I carry an umbrella everywhere I go, and trust me, it comes in handy rain or shine!

Thanks and don't worry. I won't laugh regarding the umbrella. I use one for sun protection as well. My teen daughter was mortified when we were in Cozumel. "Mom, you are the only one on this island with an umbrella" (it was a beautiful sunny day ). Oh, well. It is better than melanoma (my mom died of it at the age of 56). I love the beauty of the caribbean but do what I can to stay protected. :)

We're planning to bring a pop-up beach tent for use in the Caribbean with our toddler. There's a wide range of pricing out there, some as low as $40, though $80 should get you something reasonable. You may check with stores that sell kids' stuff, like onestepahead.com Anyway, you're looking for something that pops up to provide a shade structure, and can be folded down, like those sunshades for your car's windshield.

Archived