How long post cruise in Istanbul

We are disembarking from our cruise on a Monday in early September in Istanbul. We were thinking of flying back Wednesday, however, now we are thinking of extending our stay by one day. We've heard that Istanbul is wonderful and we don't want to short change ourselves.

We would like to see some of the main sights, possibly go on a Bosphorus Cruise, and have some time to just stroll around and enjoy Istanbul.

Is it worth extending our stay? Also, would you recommend a cruise on the Bosphorus?

Your help is much appreciated!

If the ship does not have an overnight and you arrive Monday morning I think it would be nice to stay the extra day. While you could go back Wednesday there really is a lot to see so if you can do this I would.

Keith

Your response gave me the "push" I needed to extend our stay in Istanbul. We disembark on a Monday and will fly home on Thursday. From what we've read in travel books, as well as heard from others who have been there, it is a very special place that most people want to go back to. Thank you so much for your help!

You'll be in Istanbul just after the completion of Ramazan, which is a good time to visit (fewer restrictions in the Sultanahmet district). I found Istanbul to be one of the great trips I've ever taken.

Some of my photos of Istanbul:

http://community.webshots.com/user/billmastersonchicago

Have a great cruise, and stop-over in Istanbul!

You won't regret the extra day! We spent 3 days in Istanbul before our cruise and were able to hit most of the highlights. Before you go, make sure you look up what days things are open/closed to make sure you don't miss out on anything. I seem to remember some places being closed on different days of the week -- as long as you plan ahead you'll be able to see everything.

LOVE Istanbul! Bosphorus cruise is nice. Definitely visit the Basilica Cistern, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia as well as the Blue Mosque. FYI that at the Blue Mosque you must remove your shoes & women are asked to cover their heads. An oblong scarf wrapped around your head is fine. You can hit the palace, Hagia Sophia & mosque in one day, albeit a long day. There are usually guides & if you can afford one I'd suggest it. Really brings the places alive & great source of information.

Also, its very easy to get lost in the Grand Bazaar so be prepared. A restaurant I recommend is Pirpirim.

Archived