tea/coffee facilities in cabin

june46

Just recently we cruised on a ship that did not have an electric jug or tbags/instant coffee in the cabin as we have had in the past. While you can go up to the buffet and make a cuppa that means one has to dress rather than enjoy a cup of tea on waking in your cabin.

Does the Diamond Princess have tea/coffee making facilities in their cabins?

june46

Just recently we cruised on a ship that did not have an electric jug or tbags/instant coffee in the cabin as we have had in the past. While you can go up to the buffet and make a cuppa that means one has to dress rather than enjoy a cup of tea on waking in your cabin.

Does the Diamond Princess have tea/coffee making facilities in their cabins?

june46

Just order room service. It's free.

No, Princess does not have "hot pots" in their staterooms for safety reasons (fire, fire, fire). BUT, there is no reason for anyone to get dressed and "go up" anywhere to get your morning coffee or tea. Each evening when your steward makes up your room he/she will leave you a form that you can fill out and then hang on your door for Continental breakfast items. On it you indicate what time you want your service and Room Service will be there in the AM. IF you have no idea what time you will arise then simply wait until you do, call Room Service and they will be there in less time that it would take you to get dressed and go get it yourself.

It seems that P&O ships do offer this, even on ships that used to sail for Princess. I know when the sea princess returned to the fleet it still had coffee and tea making facilities in the stateroom on our first cruise after she returned. But by the time we sailed again on her less than a year later, they were all removed. (so not sure if the 'fire' reason is valid on this one). ;)

But no, Princess does not supply any facilities in the cabin for coffee and tea making. :(

We always take a couple of those thermos cups with a lid so that you can fill it up at the Horizon Court and take it back to your room. I suppose if you have a coffee card you could fill it up where they serve decent coffee.

I agree it's probably more of a target Market thing than a fire hazard of having in room coffee and tea facilities. As other posters suggested you can always order up a pot of coffee or jug of Luke warm water with some liptons teabags and room service will deliver it. Personally the nasty tea is not enough to fire me up in the mornings!

I always end up at the international cafe for breakfast; where you can get a decent tea or coffee (albeit at a small cost); although you do have to get dressed first!:)

I agree it's probably more of a target Market thing than a fire hazard of having in room coffee and tea facilities. As other posters suggested you can always order up a pot of coffee or jug of Luke warm water with some liptons teabags and room service will deliver it. Personally the nasty tea is not enough to fire me up in the mornings!

I always end up at the international cafe for breakfast; where you can get a decent tea or coffee (albeit at a small cost); although you do have to get dressed first!:)

I like you dislike, no hate is a better word, Lipton Tea. I either pick up decent tea bags from the displays at the Horizon/Caribe Cafe or use ones I always travel with. I've never had a problem with the carage of water not being hot enough to brew my tea. I usually just stick the bags in the pot rather than by the cup.

Darn--I was hoping to be able to have a cup of hot tea first thing! I am blessed with a husband who gets up early and brings us tea in bed at 6:30 am.(Sunrise where we live). Even on vacations we are early risers. Usually I just switch to coffee on these occasions.

Yes I'm a Brit and hot water in a carafe does not make tea that I enjoy as well as tea made with boiling water with added milk..... Tea bags--black and herbal are part of my travel kit.

What time does room service begin? What time does the Patisserie open? We are on Island Princess next May. Can I wander up there to pick up drinks in my robe?

Darn--I was hoping to be able to have a cup of hot tea first thing! I am blessed with a husband who gets up early and brings us tea in bed at 6:30 am.(Sunrise where we live). Even on vacations we are early risers. Usually I just switch to coffee on these occasions.

Yes I'm a Brit and hot water in a carafe does not make tea that I enjoy as well as tea made with boiling water with added milk..... Tea bags--black and herbal are part of my travel kit.

What time does room service begin? What time does the Patisserie open? We are on Island Princess next May. Can I wander up there to pick up drinks in my robe?

I bring along a sweat suit for the times when I'm in my "jammies" and I need to go out of the stateroom for a quick trip somewhere and back. No need to take the "jammies" off.;)

What time does room service begin? never closes, open 24 hours a dayWhat time does the Patisserie open? We are on Island Princess next May. Can I wander up there to pick up drinks in my robe? Heck if you don't mind a few strange looks go right ahead.

The order card your stateroom steward will leave for you has time periods on it with the earliest printed time as 700 to 730. BUT, you can write in anytime you desire such as 630a as we oft times do.

Can I wander up there to pick up drinks in my robe?
Ummmm, unless you feel that you could wander around a hotel in your bathrobe going to the restaurant, which would make a strange sight IMHO, I think you had better bring something to throw on instead. Passengers don't wander the halls or go from deck to deck or the buffet in their bathrobes on cruise ships. At least it is very rare to see something like this and totally out of place, IMHO. ;)

We took a thermostatically controlled travel kettle. It wasn't confiscated and we used it daily. We just stored it in a drawer when we were not using it. We didn't leave it plugged in.

**sorry, didn't mean to quote you, no going back once I pushed the button!**

I wasn't going to bring this up, lest another round of lectures and admonitions about how selfish we are risking fire, etc, etc. :rolleyes: I know the OP is from Australia and my knowledge and experience is only with US electric devices....

BUT.... Princess does allow thermostatically controlled (instant off) kettles in the staterooms. We've used ours plenty of times and had no problems. We leave it out on the bar when not in use and YES!!! we unplug it, along with the hair dryer, curling iron, flat iron, chargers and all the other things we must have while away from home.

Here is Princess Cruiseline's statement~ found on the frequently asked questions regarding stateroom ammenities: Each stateroom has other luxuries for your convenience, such as a private safe and refrigerator. In addition, each room is equipped with a 110-volt, 60-cycle alternating current (AC) with standard U.S. plug fittings. Please ask your stateroom steward to check your appliances for suitability before use if you have any questions. All ships are equipped with an electric hair dryer in every stateroom.

To each their own, BUT for us the best part of the cruise was having room service bring us hot coffee, fresh fruit and rolls. All of this, of course, set up on our balcony.

Life just doesn't get better than this!

We decided we wanted to wake at (let say) 8am so we asked for our room service to arrive at 7:45. If they arrived early... well... what can I say... it is worth waking up 15 mins early to enjoy something like this.

We always gave a small tip for the delivery, but it was far less than I would be expected to pay if I had my wife make the same delivery at home. LOL :D

It was this experience, MORE THAN ALL OTHERS, that mas my wife insisting that ALL our future cruises MUST INCLUDE A BLACONY!

The order card your stateroom steward will leave for you has time periods on it with the earliest printed time as 700 to 730. BUT, you can write in anytime you desire such as 630a as we oft times do.

Good that's all I needed to know.

Toto: This is my first cruise --I have no idea about what is appropriate or not. I've stayed in some very top end hotels around the world where hotel spa robes are an acceptable mode of dress first thing in the morning when picking up coffee or tea at central locations on the way back from exercise or massage. This evidently is not the case in this situation.

Is this your first cruise on Princess or first cruise period?

If it is your first cruise ever, YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!!

Have a great time!

My first cruise ever!! I find it equally frightening and exciting as I cannot envision what to expect.

Good that's all I needed to know.

Toto: This is my first cruise --I have no idea about what is appropriate or not. I've stayed in some very top end hotels around the world where hotel spa robes are an acceptable mode of dress first thing in the morning when picking up coffee or tea at central locations on the way back from exercise or massage. This evidently is not the case in this situation.

Didn't realize it was your first cruise ever. I guess I learn something new everyday, as we have stayed at many top end hotels all over the world also and have never seen anyone walk around in their robes in public areas before, that is why I used it for a comparison.:o

But no, the robes are bathrobes on a cruise ship, and not for use outside the cabin (although occasionally you will see a few (a very few, usually quite elderly) wear them to the pool).

You will find quickly onboard that there is so much to do, so much to see, you will have a fantastic time. Good Luck on that first ever cruise! ;)

I think if one eats breakfast at Tiffanys (my moniker for Saba...), you will not see the bathrobes! I see people of all ages in bathrobes wandering around in the morning in the area around the pools. At least in the last couple of years they are politely told not to enter the buffet area. They may be the same set that want to eat in MDR in Casual on Formal nights. BTW, the tea / coffee station is not inside the buffet food area.

But no, the robes are bathrobes on a cruise ship, and not for use outside the cabin (although occasionally you will see a few (a very few, usually quite elderly) wear them to the pool).

;)

Re the robes --getting away from the tea issue --that helps to know that I need to bring a swim cover-up. I had assumed they were spa robes and would be used for the pool etc. Perhaps Princess should clarify that somewhere in their literature.

A swimsuit cover up is a great idea to bring along as you will need it to go back and forth to the pool area.

As for Princess clarifying, I think the use of the words 'bathrobes' was how it clarified it for me. I have never seen the robes called anything but a 'bathrobe' on any Princess literature. ;) If I am not mistaken, when they are to be worn outside the stateroom or hotel room, they are referred to as 'spa robes'. ;)

My first cruise ever!! I find it equally frightening and exciting as I cannot envision what to expect.

Don't forget that feeling! It only happens once!

I remember back in the 70s when I took my first cruise on Sun Princess out of San Juan. When I first saw the ship I just couldn't believe the size! We arrived at the port early so I had lots of time to just wander and look at the ship. It was amazing!

Now, you have to understand you could put about 4,5 or even 6 of these "Sun Princess'" in just one of the new Princess cruise ships.

I almost had the same feeling on our second to last cruise, when we booked Caribbean Princess. I had not seen a cruise ship in over 25 years so what I was thinking of in my imagination was blowen out of the water when I saw Caribbean Princess moored up in New York.

I have 3D photos of Caribbean Princess and of Carnival Pride on my blog (see signature below for link) if you want to try and see a little of what the feeling is like. BUT remember... nothing... NOTHING replaces the feeling of actually arriving at port and seeing the ship in person.

Again... have a great cruise.

Archived