Illegals smuggled to NYC on QM2

jleq

Actually, in today's world, fake passports are a very big deal. Who decides whether a fake passport leads to terrorism?? The people hired by Cunard to man the desks in the terminal to board passengers....one day a week at best. They are trained for paper work, period. You are the one on the ship for a transatlantic 7 day voyage. I'm sure nothing will ever happen.......BUT....they had fake passports....that's all......doesn't make anyone feel safe.

Again. This is down to the PORT in question in the country - not Cunard! It's not upto Cunard to decide how strict immigration or not is in the port. Some ports require immigration staff in addition to the staff who check you in, some ports don't. That is all down to the country that has those ports.

Furthermore, I would doubt the people that are hired for 'one day a week' (you do realise they probably work other days for other ships, right?) are just trained to look at a passport and a credit card and that's it. They will be security cleared staff to a certain extent and I would assume be briefed on fake passports/immigration issues - again only to a level that the Port Authority wants though.

If you don't feel safe with how another country allows people to board ships, then I suggest you only travel on ships leaving from and returning back to your country on cruises that don't allow anyone to join them part way through.

Chris

Last May (2010) we booked on the QM2 and took our grandson with us for a birthday treat, we paid for him and had the relevant paperwork, he was sharing our cabin. When we went back to our stateromm at the night time, our bed had been truned down but nothing for our grandson, the steward had no knowledge of him, he wasnt shown on the stewards manifest and it took some convincing that our grandson was legally sharing our stateroom. It took several visits to the purser and a show down with the steward and his supervisor, my grandson finally had his bed made at 1230 am, we never saw the steward again after that. How and when they thought he'd boarded, I'll never know.

If you don't feel safe with how another country allows people to board ships, then I suggest you only travel on ships leaving from and returning back to your country on cruises that don't allow anyone to join them part way through.

Chris

Thank you. Actually I don't think it's too much to expect security onboard a Cunard ship. Just a personal opinion, obviously. :)

How can they be smuggled if they were on the manifest? Also if they boarded in Dubai and were on BOTH manifests (DBX-SOU/SOU-NYC)??????????????????????

Something is not adding up correctly.

You get on the manifest by PAYING your cruisefare! It's not like he packed them in his seatrunk.

And of course it is always easier to exit the USA than it is the enter. Well, with the exception of the Brooklyn Pier. That was the first time in a decade I wasn't interigated upon return to the USA. I cannot ever recall them asking for my passport. Are you American? Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

long story short they were all booked on legit and when they got to NYC the 'smuggler' couldn't identify the 9 people on his booking by name game up nothing to do with Cunard they can only stop this happening when they know about it and they didn't.

Archived