Serenade of the Seas review 4/30 - 5/7 with a couple of pics thrown in....

I was hoping tohear more about the poker room and tourneys. We are going on first cruise in september on the serenade and are avid poker players :)

thanks!

I am also an avid poker player. The tournament is held every evening with a $75 buy in. You can buy back in as much as you want for the first 30 minutes. At the 30 minute mark they will allow you to purchase 1000 more chips for $40. On the final day the winners from each of the proceeding days tournaments play a final game for an ultimate winner. All games have a real dealer.

After each evenings tournaments the table opens up to a cash game.

Hope this is what you wanted to know. :D

Day 3, St Croix

This is the second day I had planned for a beach day. I had read a few reviews and settled on Sand Castle on the Beach. For the most part it was a mostly cloudy day but, I did not get any grief about spending the day at the Beach. We took a cab that only cost 6 dollars round trip from the dock. The taxi's were supposed to come every 30 minutes but, I get more into that later. Lets just say the island time factor came into play again.

Here is a view of the Serenade from the sidewalk area in town.

th_100_1972.jpg?t=1304992418

A couple of beach views for your viewing pleasure :D

th_100_1969.jpg?t=1304992418

th_100_1965.jpg?t=1304992418

It was a very relaxing day. The little resort (I use the word resort very loosely) here reminded me of a 1960's type Florida hotel/motel. It probably had no more than 10 rooms, single story centered around a pool and small restaurant. I want to make a quick observation here. I was able to tell alot about each islands economy by the cost to rent a lounge chair. We did not have a beach day in St Thomas but, was told that loungers on the beach at Meagan Bay were running $20 a person for the day. In St Croix it cost all of $5. The area we were in lacked any of the development from major resorts or hotel chains. For the most part it seemed like Frederiksted was void of any major development so I assume that Christiansted on the other side of the island is the more developed area. I am sure someone could can fill me in on the details of this....

Another quick note was while laying in the lounge chairs a small group of women had removed their tops. Now I have been to Europe plenty and hear that several islands such as St Marteen are topless and/or completely au natural. I am not a prude but, was a tad bit uncomfortable when my niece pointed it out to me and started asking me questions to the legality of the situation. The only thing I could come up with was that they were "French" and are used to doing this. Please don't get any ideas. :D

About 2:30 it started to sprinkle so we thought is a good time to head back to the ship. We went back to the agreed area to meet the taxi. 45 minutes later (every 30 minutes my #$%^) we started to walk back. I think it was about a mile or so from the ship so it really was not a bad walk. We got to see alot of the local area. Fisherman bringing in a catch of fresh tuna. Tons of chickens that were roaming free all over the area. I was actually glad we had to walk (sorta) lol.

th_100_1970.jpg?t=1304992418

We finally make it back into the little town and I let the shoppers do their thing while I walked over and took a couple pictures of the Fort.

th_100_1960.jpg?t=1304992418

Back on the ship by 4:30 to sail at 5. After everyone showered and such we went for cocktails in the Schooner bar and play the 50's & 60's music trivia. Nothing made me more over the hill than my 24 year old niece asking about groups and music she had never heard before. Sigh...

Off to dinner in the Windjammer and we head back to the room and watch a movie. We have a busy day tomorrow.

Next stop Antigua......

Your review is great! I love to do reviews like this, too.....and the Serenade is my absolute favorite ship. Will be on her next month for another B2B! Yippee! I just hope some of my favorite crew members are on board!

Keep going!!!!

Your review is great! I love to do reviews like this' date=' too.....and the Serenade is my absolute favorite ship. Will be on her next month for another B2B! Yippee! I just hope some of my favorite crew members are on board![/size']

Keep going!!!!

Thank you for the support. This being my first review kinda made me nervous. I really, really wish I had also done the back to back.....sigh!

Great Review......Keep going!!

We've got a B2B planned in October.

Was wondering if they've upgraded their TV's yet? The photo's of the rooms show the "old" tv's. Just curious!

Thanks again for the marvelous review!

Reyne:)

Great Review......Keep going!!

We've got a B2B planned in October.

Was wondering if they've upgraded their TV's yet? The photo's of the rooms show the "old" tv's. Just curious!

Thanks again for the marvelous review!

Reyne:)

Thank you Reyne. B2B sure does seem the way to go :D. I am envious. No the TV's in the room are still the box type. They really need to update those.

Your review is great! I love to do reviews like this' date=' too.....and the Serenade is my absolute favorite ship. Will be on her next month for another B2B! Yippee! I just hope some of my favorite crew members are on board![/size']

Keep going!!!!

Just curious who some of your favorite crew members are. I was on the Serenade in 2009 and I would have to say that ship has had the absolute most memorable crew members that I know of. Everyone from the pool bartenders to the dining room staff to the entertainment staff.

Day 3, St Croix

This is the second day I had planned for a beach day. I had read a few reviews and settled on Sand Castle on the Beach. For the most part it was a mostly cloudy day but, I did not get any grief about spending the day at the Beach. We took a cab that only cost 6 dollars round trip from the dock.

I was able to tell alot about each islands economy by the cost to rent a lounge chair. We did not have a beach day in St Thomas but, was told that loungers on the beach at Meagan Bay were running $20 a person for the day. In St Croix it cost all of $5. :D

My DH & I plan on going there also. The cab was $6.00 round trip.....was that total for everyone?

Thanks

Thank you Reyne. B2B sure does seem the way to go :D. I am envious. No the TV's in the room are still the box type. They really need to update those.

I thought I had read a recent CC member review that their room had been updated with the Flat Screen. Maybe it was certain cabin types that got the upgrade first. What type of cabin were you in?

I planned the B2B & I am so excited!! My DH said it was all up to me! hee hee!

thanks again.

Reyne

No the TV's in the room are still the box type.

Really old programs....really old TV's... makes perfect sense to me:D

Thanks for your review.

Just curious who some of your favorite crew members are. I was on the Serenade in 2009 and I would have to say that ship has had the absolute most memorable crew members that I know of. Everyone from the pool bartenders to the dining room staff to the entertainment staff.

With one exception the staff was incredible. My heart belongs to the 2 girls in Chops though. Ayse from Turkey and Isabel from Portugal.

My DH & I plan on going there also. The cab was $6.00 round trip.....was that total for everyone?

Thanks

It was $6 a person round trip. We had to wait around so they could fill the van with 14 people though. It took about 20 minutes to fill the van.

I thought I had read a recent CC member review that their room had been updated with the Flat Screen. Maybe it was certain cabin types that got the upgrade first. What type of cabin were you in?

I planned the B2B & I am so excited!! My DH said it was all up to me! hee hee!

thanks again.

Reyne

We were in a JS.

Antigua.....Day 5

This day started the same usual way with Aubrey and I clamoring for our coffee fix and Bill running around trying to find ice for a diet coke. I went out on the balcony to enjoy my coffee and took the cruise compass out with me to highlight any activities that I need to investigate later this evening. When low and behold there is a conga line of cruise ships behind us trying to get into the same island. I hear what I think is a screech owl from within my cabin telling me to tell the cruise ships following us to get their own island, we were here first. Its at this point that I think Aubrey may have the potential yet to becoming a cruise-aholic like her uncle....lol.

This is the first port we have actually had to share with any other cruise ships. We were followed in by a Princess ship and a much smaller Silver Sea ship.

This is the Princess ship jockeying for position.

th_VirginIslandsAubrey308.jpg

A couple photos of Antigua as we were coming in.

th_VirginIslandsAubrey302.jpg

th_VirginIslandsAubrey306.jpg

Here is were I am going to insert a little more background information. Bill is an avid sailor. Almost every weekend he is sailing and or racing sailboats with a local sailing group. In Antigua this week they were just finishing up a huge regatta of some 250 sailboats. Royal had an excursion called the "Ocean Racing Experience" of which he was bound and determined to go to. I told him to have a great time but, if I went racing sailboats on the ocean I would literally be swabbing the deck so lets save alot of embarrassment and Aubrey and I will find something else to do. I had booked us for the ATV tour. Royal canceled the ATV tour so I was going to book stingrays but, was told by my niece she wanted to see the island and wanted to get in some of the history. My first response was who are you and what have you done with Aubrey. My second was to book the "Highlights of Antigua" excursion.

Cont......

Both the sailing and sightseeing tours started at 8:30 am. We figured we would meet back on the ship around 1 pm and go grab lunch before heading back out.

Aubrey and I were led off to a full 16 seater van to begin the tour. The tour pretty much consisted of heading off to the other side of the island to see Shirley Heights and Nelson's dockyard with some breathtaking views. I would suggest in the future the royal should really give those taking this excursion blinders. The last time I saw driving like that was on a European cruise excursion. I was white knuckled and think I bit through my lip. You actually had to pry my fingers from the hand grip we we reached our destination.:eek:

Here is some pics from Shirley Heights.

th_VirginIslandsAubrey325.jpg

th_VirginIslandsAubrey326.jpg

From the cliffs edge our guide pointed out Eric Clapton's house. My niece proceeds to ask me who is Eric Clapton. Oh come on now, you have got to be messing with my head........Really? Sigh!

Cont....

Our next stop is Admiral Nelson's boatyard. We were given a brief 15 minute history, some rum punch (I am beginning to notice a pattern here) and given time to wander around.

th_VirginIslandsAubrey330.jpg

th_VirginIslandsAubrey337.jpg th_VirginIslandsAubrey343.jpg

The 50's/60's commentary was bad enough. Having no clue on Eric Clapton your lucky I didn't light the fuse to that cannon:D

th_VirginIslandsAubrey339.jpg

After this we have to head back to the ship. "I will take another rum punch please"

Cont.......

Gary that is a great itinerary. I really want to go to St Marteen really bad. I have heard nothing but wonderful things.

If I have it my way, we will eventually buy a property in St Marteen.. I love the diversity of the Dutch and French side...The people were wonderfull..

Aubrey and I got back to the ship about 12:30 and went to the room to wait for Bill who showed up about one. He walks in with 3 shopping bags of assorted t-shirts and such. Are you kidding me? You are the only person I know who can find something to buy in the middle of the ocean racing a sailboat. Did the mermaids have a vendor stand? rofl

Anyway, I will try and describe the "Ocean Racing Experience" as he described it to me. They were taxied to the other side of the island to a marina. The group was broken into 6 individuals per sailboat. Each sailboat had 2 regular crew members. They ask your level of knowledge of sailing and then put you to work. Bill told me 4 individuals had never sailed before and that 2 of them actually had to run to the cabin below during the race and did not resurface until the race was over. I am soooooo glad I did not go on this excursion. From Bill's perspective it was the best part of the whole cruise. If he would have had the opportunity he would have done an afternoon race also. His sailboat won the race by 6 minutes.

th_VirginIslandsAubrey1140.jpg th_VirginIslandsAubrey1139.jpg th_VirginIslandsAubrey1141.jpg

th_VirginIslandsAubrey1143.jpg th_VirginIslandsAubrey1145.jpg

We did eat lunch then go back out shopping for a little. Aubrey collects shot glasses. I actually try to get a Christmas Ornament from where ever I visit. Bill collects anything that is on "Sale".

It was all aboard at 4:30 for a 5 pm sail away. We did the normal of showers, cocktails, dinner and then I broke from the group. Tonight was a poker night for me. I got back to the room around 1 am I think :D

Next St Croix

Archived