Disney getting too expensive for families

tmann4

I think that is another line. If Disney offered kids sail free, Disney would lose half its income.

I don't know about the losing half its income piece, but our kids sailed free on the Disney Wonder in 2010 to the Bahamas.

I don't know about the losing half its income piece, but our kids sailed free on the Disney Wonder in 2010 to the Bahamas.

I'm hoping they do something like that again so I can make some plans to cruise with my kids.

Edited by de8212

I'm hoping that do something like that again so I can make some plans to cruise with my kids.

I agree. Just keep checking their website or this forum. I remembered in 2009 and 2010 the kids sail free for some of the following January-February Bahamas/Caribbean/MR sailings came out in September (so in Sep2009 promoting Jan-Feb2010 sailing ... so it came out before final payment deadline). Some restrictions apply like it has to be an OV or above cabin or something like that. Recently DCL is having some new price deals like the IGT/OGT/VGT (Inside/OV/Verandah Gauranteed non-refundable price) ... not sure if this will replace kids sail free deal (which is coded KFO I believe)

My speculation is we may see kids sail free deal for the DCL Magic 7-nights Caribbean itinerary or DCL Wonder 7-nights MR itinerary for low-season sailing. Don't expect any kids sail free deal for the Dream or Fantasy. Just speculation.

My speculation is we may see kids sail free deal for the DCL Magic 7-nights Caribbean itinerary or DCL Wonder 7-nights MR itinerary for low-season sailing. Don't expect any kids sail free deal for the Dream or Fantasy. Just speculation.

Does this apply for existing reservations (before final payment) or new bookings only? Also, is this something that I should expect my TA to watch for, or should I keep my own eyes open?

I hope you're right about the low-season Caribbean sailings on the Magic; that would be a real boon for me.

Does this apply for existing reservations (before final payment) or new bookings only? Also, is this something that I should expect my TA to watch for, or should I keep my own eyes open?

I hope you're right about the low-season Caribbean sailings on the Magic; that would be a real boon for me.

I can't speak for future kids sail free deal, if any. My understanding from reading previous posts is that as long as your current booking meet their restriction and it is before final payment, it should just be a quick call to your TA or DCL direct to make the change. There is always a possibility the 1st/2nd pax fee may (or may not) have changed from when you booked it initially, although that is not likely based on what I have read as the date/itinerary is not selling well and hence they have to go through the kids sail free promotion in the first place. I know the KFO deal can't be combined with other special like the 10% discount from onboard booking.

My TA will usually be pro-active watching for new deal for me, but I still frequently check them out myself.

Have fun planning. :)

When I said that kids sail for 1/2 price, what I meant was the 3rd & 4th (and in my case 5th) passenger sail for a lot less then passengers one & two. When we sailed on the Carnival Dream this fall, my kids were less then $300 each. Total cost was about $2,500.

We checked Disney & the cost for the 3rd,4th & 5th passengers were over $1,000. I would love to sail Disney. I have heard nothing but great things about them, but when the price difference is in the $3,000-$5,000 range, it's a no brainer to me.

When I said that kids sail for 1/2 price, what I meant was the 3rd & 4th (and in my case 5th) passenger sail for a lot less then passengers one & two.

It really depends on cruiseline, the particular ship, itinerary, date and cabin category. For some of DCL sailings, you do find 3rd/4th pax prices to be 50% of 1st/2nd.

Age of the 3rd & 4th pax also determines price.

For example:

On the 8 night 8/25/2012 NYC for a category 5B cabin

1st 2 pax: $2184.00 each

3rd & 4th adult pax: $1224.00 each

This changes to $1128.00 each for a 5 & 6 year old

If the child is younger than 3 the price goes down to $564.

The kids sail free promotion is a great thing. My TA emailed me when it began and was able to save me $1000 on the sailing that I was booked on.

When I said that kids sail for 1/2 price, what I meant was the 3rd & 4th (and in my case 5th) passenger sail for a lot less then passengers one & two. When we sailed on the Carnival Dream this fall, my kids were less then $300 each. Total cost was about $2,500.

We checked Disney & the cost for the 3rd,4th & 5th passengers were over $1,000. I would love to sail Disney. I have heard nothing but great things about them, but when the price difference is in the $3,000-$5,000 range, it's a no brainer to me.

Yeah, it's still a reduced rate for Disney... just doesn't seem quite as sweet because DCL is already high. Keep an eye out for the Kids Sail Free promotion, it will probably be very helpful.

Did you like the Carnival Dream? I personally wasn't a big fan.... it was a big ship, but there wasn't much to do. And our weather wasn't that great, so we didn't get to take advantage of the water slides (they kept closing them b/c of high wind speeds). I much prefer RCI's "ships for ADHD adults" (some CCer used that to describe them... I like it :D).

We loved sailing on the Dream. Weather was perfect, so kids used the water slides (so did mom, dad & grandpa) a lot. We even stayed on board when docked at Belize since we had 3 other ports. We had slides basically to ourself & also mini golf.

Thanks for the info on kids said free promotion on Dismey. I will keep looking for it.

In doing research between DCL and other cruise lines I found another cruise line offering Air/Cruise package for select cities, had DCL ever considered this or are they hoping you make a trip to the park along with your cruise? Not sure if it really is a good deal or not, just wondering. For my family a trip to Florida would be a once in a lifetime trip so we would make it a two week vacation and see as much as we can. Airfare for my family would double the price of a vacation so its save save save for a couple years. Which brings me to another questions, once booked could a person just keep making payments on a Disney vacation instead of waiting until that final payment is due? I can't help but wonder if planning is 80% of the vacation. :rolleyes:

In doing research between DCL and other cruise lines I found another cruise line offering Air/Cruise package for select cities, had DCL ever considered this or are they hoping you make a trip to the park along with your cruise? Not sure if it really is a good deal or not, just wondering. For my family a trip to Florida would be a once in a lifetime trip so we would make it a two week vacation and see as much as we can. Airfare for my family would double the price of a vacation so its save save save for a couple years. Which brings me to another questions, once booked could a person just keep making payments on a Disney vacation instead of waiting until that final payment is due? I can't help but wonder if planning is 80% of the vacation. :rolleyes:

Yes you can book air together as part of your DCL cruise reservation. I'd suggest to talk to your travel agent for the best option.

I think most companies will take the customers' cash if you want to give them.

Edited by vivapataca

... Which brings me to another questions, once booked could a person just keep making payments on a Disney vacation instead of waiting until that final payment is due? I can't help but wonder if planning is 80% of the vacation. :rolleyes:

I can't speak to the rest (we're locals) but yes, you can make payments. It's the only way my DH can afford to take a cruise. We pay the deposit, then every paycheck, we make a payment until it's paid off. It beats opening a separate savings account and being tempted to delve into it.

• 5 years later...

On September 1, 2016 an article was posted on FoxNews.com by Jason Lappert titled "Is a Disney Cruise Worth the Cost."

For the reader, I think I am in a pretty good position to judge. I currently hold Disney Platinum status which was obtained between 2012 (Fantasy inaugural) through spring 2015 where I averaged 4 DCL cruises a year. I have sailed all 4 ships where the category was 4D or better (balcony staterooms). To add, I have been a WDW passholder (for many years more) and a Florida resident. In short, I know a lot about Disney (or experienced a lot of Disney perspective). Additionally, I have sailed other cruise lines with the exception of Carnival.

I have decided to move to a different cruise line because the there was no more magic. The way I cruised on trip 13 was completely different than my first cruise on the Fantasy. With that said... That first Disney cruise and the memories created are still as vivid now as they were at debarkation.

Is DCL more expensive? Depends. In the stateroom category I prefer to cruise coupled with the duration of the cruise the short answer is no. Disney staterooms (again the staterooms I booked) are on average larger than most cruise lines. Disney is also the only cruise line that has a 5-person occupancy (suites not included)...to my knowledge. As a side note these were my 2nd favorite to book because of the added space. My goto stateroom were the aft rooms that had the oversized verandahs. When I was able to book an aft room... the way I cruised was completely different than when I had normal balcony.

It's unfair to compare older ships (Magic and Wonder incl.) when comparing the Fantasy or the Dream. So when making a general comparison of Disney to other cruise lines your better off making an apple to apple comparison. However, Fantasy and Dream are starting to show age compared to other new (2013 or newer) ships. And, newer ships from other cruise lines do have / can have elevated prices.

How one cruises is a very personal choice. As far as food, lounges, customer service, and general entertainment (not the big production shows) it's my humble opinion that RC, NCL, MSC, CCL, etc are all equally "good; maybe great." And allow me to point out specifically... The food on all the 1st rate ships is very comparable to DCL; in fact, some cruise lines do some things better with their food...and some things DCL does better. Of course, comparable is a relative term, so my point is...A person with typical "mid range" expectations would be satisfied with the general amenities between all cruise lines. With that said, the big production shows that Disney offers are top rate; and so far the best I have experienced of any cruise line. Disney owns the market with good story telling. Additionally, you cannot match the total access to Disney lore, film...and of course access to characters... Again... It's how one cruises, or what's important to the cruiser. Plus, Castaway Cay is a GREAT port of call. So great in fact, other cruise lines are taking that page from the DCL playbook....of course some cruise lines do it better than others.

As a seasoned cruiser, the way I cruised now is completely different than my first cruise. I don't need to see every show, experience every meal, do every activity... However where Disney out prices themselves completely out of the game is concierge. What I get on other cruise lines at the concierge level; well, Disney cannot compare for the price.

Point I am trying to make is... For me, after the first or second Disney cruise, it becomes more about the ports of call (when comparing other first rate cruise lines). For the readers that have never cruised DCL, take a 3 day and visit the parks while in Florida. You can get "the DCL experience" on a 3 day cruise ( certainly in 5)...and if there is room left in the budget and vacation days, go to the parks at WDW.

Since I last cruised DCL, I have heard that the no longer allow you to bring alcohol on board...And what is even more discouraging is that DCL does not offer a drink package. I cannot live on drinks-of-the-day alone. I need variety and it can be expensive to consume a more than average consumption of alcohol on DCL... (Don't judge...you cruise your way; I cruise mine).

Final point...Has Disney priced themselves out of the market. For the 299.00 per person special...probably... But I don't cruise that way. But I have always compared compatible cruises to Disney and Disney, on average, is a bit more expensive...and usually by more an a few hundred dollars.

Will I go on another DCL cruise... I might, it just depends on duration, when, where and how much...meaning... I (and I want to believe most) can get the same cruise experience (minus the Mickey magic) on any other top tier cruise line...And recently... You can usually get it less than DCL.

Just my humble opinion.

Just read a review of Disney Dream in a travel trade publication in which the reviewer mentioned dining in Remy, a specialty restaurant on the ship, where a party of two paid $381 for a "special" six course meal which included a "cheese plate that made us feel as if we were sampling the finest of caviars":rolleyes:

Have never heard of such an expensive meal on any cruise ship and while I know it is not typical of what most people would pay on Disney or most any other cruiseline, I thought it was a bit over the top.:)

I'm guessing they either had caviar or wine pairings. We dined at Remy, it was amazing and worth the tariff. We brought a bottle from our cellar and ordered a bottle from them. Can't recall the exact amount, but between the bottle we purchased, corkage, gratuity, and the up charge it was probably close to $500. No regrets.

Regarding the 6 course meal--this is the standard in Remy. It is "special" only in the sense that it is an upcharge from the MDR and is served in Remy. The upcharge is $75 per person. Unless thing have changed, there is no charge for any food items beyond this upcharge. There is a charge for wine pairing, which is $99 per person + the automatic gratuity. I suspect that the way the above poster got to $381 was $150 upcharge for 2, $200 wine pairing for two, and $30 automatic gratuity for the wine pairing. Not sure where the extra $1 came from.

Hmmm.. I might be thinking of a different restaurant where there was a caviar option for an up charge. I could have sworn it was something Remy offered though. Either way, $381 is a bargain for the quality and creativity of the food. The closest thing land based would be one of Keller or Danko's restaurants, and you don't get out of those for under $600--without wine.

Regarding the 6 course meal--this is the standard in Remy. It is "special" only in the sense that it is an upcharge from the MDR and is served in Remy. The upcharge is $75 per person. Unless thing have changed' date=' there is no charge for any food items beyond this upcharge. There is a charge for wine pairing, which is $99 per person + the automatic gratuity. I suspect that the way the above poster got to $381 was $150 upcharge for 2, $200 wine pairing for two, and $30 automatic gratuity for the wine pairing. Not sure where the extra $1 came from.[/quote']

There are multiple opportunities for upcharge items during the course of a Remy meal. When were on the Fantasy last year, we were offered a serving of beef that was a higher grade than Kobe, caviar and 50 year old Port during our meal - all for additional cost. We took them all. Worth the extra cost (not exactly cheap)? For us, the answer was yes, but considering the cost of the meal and the wine package, I can understand why those items would not be worth it to others.

There are multiple opportunities for upcharge items during the course of a Remy meal. When were on the Fantasy last year, we were offered a serving of beef that was a higher grade than Kobe, caviar and 50 year old Port during our meal - all for additional cost. We took them all. Worth the extra cost (not exactly cheap)? For us, the answer was yes, but considering the cost of the meal and the wine package, I can understand why those items would not be worth it to others.

That's why I said "unless things have changed." This was not the case when we were on the Fantasy, and our recent DCL cruises have been on the Magic (which does not have Remy). As far as wine in Remy--the sky is the limit. We were told that they have a bottle that sells for $10,000. I didn't ask what it was. I'm not surprised that they've added upcharge food items as well.

That's why I said "unless things have changed." This was not the case when we were on the Fantasy' date=' and our recent DCL cruises have been on the Magic (which does not have Remy). As far as wine in Remy--the sky is the limit. We were told that they have a bottle that sells for $10,000. I didn't ask what it was. I'm not surprised that they've added upcharge food items as well.[/quote']

1947 Ch. Cheval Blanc. I think the price is over $20K. They also have a '61 Latour, which is around $13K. For that coin I'd rather source two cases of Premier Grand Cru en premiur.

1947 Ch. Cheval Blanc. I think the price is over $20K. They also have a '61 Latour, which is around $13K. For that coin I'd rather source two cases of Premier Grand Cru en premiur.

I'm guessing as an investment, not for drinking at over $1k a bottle....

ex techie

I'm guessing as an investment, not for drinking at over $1k a bottle....

ex techie

Hold it all for 5-10 years in bond, then send half to auction and put the rest in your cellar. The half you sell covers the cost of what you drink after storage costs. :) Pro tip--buying en Premiur you pay about half what you would at release.