Finally booked Hotwire for FLL

Cozzette2

I have booke my pre cruise hotel on Hotwire but still needed a post cruise hotel but didn't want to be in Hollywood again so I was really concentrating on FLL. I just wasn't sure which area, beach or airport.

Today I took the plunge and for 3 rooms in Jan. for $99 I got the Best Western Oceanside. It gets nice reviews and is close to the beach. I am satisfied with what I got.

It is a 3 star, beach, pool and free breakfast, laudry, parking [which we don't need]

Any idea what a taxi ride to the airport will be from there?

Kris

It should cost no more than $25 to the airport, dependent upon the traffic. The hotel is a bit of a walk to places, but as long as you are in good condition you should be fine. Just bring comfortable walking shoes and walk north on A1A to find restaurants and shops. The Bahia Cabana bar/restaurant is across the street and a block north and is a fun dive.

Thank you. yes it is the property in Fort Lauderdale. It was a toss up, stay near the airport and taxi back to the beach or stay at the beach and taxi back to the airport lol.

We are all in good shape and love walking so that won't be a problem. It will be after the cruise so we may be broke anyway and may end up with pizza or whatever we can scrounge

So, basically this is to give a heads up as to what the $99, 3* beach hotel is. I hope it helps someone else.

Kris

That is a great deal. I think it helps if people know what is currently offered on Hotwire.

We also got the Diplomat in Hollywood pre-cruise for $106, 3 rooms, 2 nights, I thought that was a great deal.

Kris

When selecting destination in Fort Lauderdale, which one of the four did you choose to get the FL Hilton Airport ?

If anyone is still looking at hotels, we just booked the FL Hilton Airport for $63/night through a last minute travel website. We booked for January 2012.

We are staying at the Diplomat as well, doesn't it look great? I am very excited to stay there:D

We have stayed in both locations, Golf and Beach, both are fabulous.

The Beach location just swings it for us the pool area is amazing,

have a great time, by the way there is a great Italian Restaurant at the strip mall under the flyover to the left of the beach location.

As you stand with your back to the Hotel it is about a 10 minute Stroll,we walked there and took a cab back as it was late.

That is a great deal. I think it helps if people know what is currently offered on Hotwire.

We also got the Diplomat in Hollywood pre-cruise for $106, 3 rooms, 2 nights, I thought that was a great deal.

Kris

Hi Kris, on Hotwire how did you choose so that you got the Diplomat? Is there any outstanding amenities that belong to Diplomat only? I've never used Hotwire. Thanks.

I got some advice on cruise critics as to what the posible choices would be and that helped. Because it is in Hollywood and 4 star that narrowed it down.

It listed as amenities:

Resort, golf, beach, internet, restaurant etc. It also listed as an option, bed choice. It could have come up as the Crown Plaza or the Westin Diplomat and I would have been happy with either.

When we booked a couple of weeks ago it was listed as $106 and that was for Jan. so I thought we got a good deal.

It is not too close to anything but we arranged for transportation from the airport to the hotel and then again from the hotel to POM.

The last time I checked I think the Hotwire rate was listed at $136 but it changes all the time.

I hope this helps:D

Kris

Hi Kris, I tried my dates, Dec, and it came up $87 so that's excellent. I haven't booked yet because I'm also thinking of Embassy Suites in FLL. From people's posts on this site ES is close to a lot of things. I won't have a car and thinking of staying for 2 days so I would like to go the the beach. Any clues for booking ES on Hotwire or LastMinuteTravel? Thanks.

Hi Kris, I tried my dates, Dec, and it came up $87 so that's excellent. I haven't booked yet because I'm also thinking of Embassy Suites in FLL. From people's posts on this site ES is close to a lot of things. I won't have a car and thinking of staying for 2 days so I would like to go the the beach. Any clues for booking ES on Hotwire or LastMinuteTravel? Thanks.

You might consider staying at Bahia Mar. They have great rates, close to port, across from the beach, close to restaurants.

cruise101, I am the last one to give advice on booking with Hotwire, I am a novice and my fingers trembled when I hit the purchase button, I was so nervous:D

From what I understand, the Diplomat is not all that close to anything, but it is on the beach ( or very close) and it is a resort. But we will be doing some walking because I am thinking we might want to find less expensive restaurants than those at the resort. I saw a picture of the broadwalk ( yes, they say it isn't a boardwalk ) and you can rent bikes and surreys and there are beachy places to eat. Having never been there I am dependant on what others have said.

If you want to be closer to the action then maybe Fort Lauderdale beach are would be a better location.

Good luck , Kris

If you search thee boards there are a lot of threads on bidding on Hotwire and Priceline.

Go to betterbidding dot com.

There is a guide there that tells you which hotels you MIGHT be getting.

That's for Priceline and Hotwire.

I liked lastminutetravel dot com.

Although they also hide the names of the hotels, if you click on the details button you can see the photos. I was able to determine without a doubt which hotel I was bidding on.

I got The Westin Diplomat for a King size bed $134.

I got the Intercontinental in Miami for $129.

Staying in Miami pre-cruise and Hollywood after.

It was very easy.:D

Yo! Ho! Yo! Ho! APLFM!

I also am flying into Fll and cruising out of port of Miami. Would you mind sharing your transportation info from Fll to your hotel (Westin Diplomat) and also your transportation costs from hotel to the port of Miami. I am contemplating booking Marriott Springfield Suites as have 3 kids with us, need 5 in a room.

I have been looking for transportation costs and how to get to port of miami from Fll. Flying into Fll instead of Miami as tickets are more reasonable from Minneapolis.

Also like Fll better. Not as big airport as Miami

Thanks

We are using SAS. Since we are staying in Hollywood and not Fort Lauderdale they are picking us up at the airport and taking us to our hotel in Hollywood for $8. per person. Then they will pick us up at our hotel and get us to POM for $15. The day we return from our cruise they will pick us up at the port and get us back to FLL for another $15 per person.

I hope this helps.

There are sure a lot of details aren't there? Once I had the transportation booked I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Good luck to you and your family and have a great cruise.

Kris

• 3 weeks later...
I also am flying into Fll and cruising out of port of Miami. Would you mind sharing your transportation info from Fll to your hotel (Westin Diplomat) and also your transportation costs from hotel to the port of Miami. I am contemplating booking Marriott Springfield Suites as have 3 kids with us, need 5 in a room.

I have been looking for transportation costs and how to get to port of miami from Fll. Flying into Fll instead of Miami as tickets are more reasonable from Minneapolis.

Also like Fll better. Not as big airport as Miami

Thanks

My daughter and family are staying at Marriott Springhill Suites Airport East AAA price $161 There is also a Springhill Suites in Dania Beach,fl with free airport and breakfast. AAA $103

free shuttle from Fll to hotel ( 5 miles) and free hot buffet breakfast for everyone. This hotel is near the Medical center. Also needed 5 in a room. Shuttle to port of miami - $15 pp each way. I believe through SAS. Need reservations ahead of time. Just google Fll airport to port of Miami (there are many of them) to choose from.

I'm driving to the port, live in SW Florida, but my daughter is flying down with family from Minneapolis to Fll anfd I am helping her with the research. Definitely easier and cheaper tickets into FLL. You have to just add in the additional transportation costs. Hope this helps you.

I got some advice on cruise critics as to what the posible choices would be and that helped. Because it is in Hollywood and 4 star that narrowed it down.

It listed as amenities:

Resort, golf, beach, internet, restaurant etc. It also listed as an option, bed choice. It could have come up as the Crown Plaza or the Westin Diplomat and I would have been happy with either.

When we booked a couple of weeks ago it was listed as $106 and that was for Jan. so I thought we got a good deal.

It is not too close to anything but we arranged for transportation from the airport to the hotel and then again from the hotel to POM.

The last time I checked I think the Hotwire rate was listed at $136 but it changes all the time.

I hope this helps:D

Kris

For others looking, usually the Diplomat lists Spa services, while the Crowne Plaza doesn't. You have to click on the "see all amenities", because they only show 8 icons and the spa is usually the 9th amenity listed for the Diplomat. However, I don't think there is anything on Hotwire to distinguish the 2 Diplomat resorts from each other, but I have read people on here were able to upgrade to beach from golf course by calling the hotel after doing the Hotwire booking. They do run free shuttles between the 2 properties, so if you wanted to save the upgrade costs, and be near the shopping and restaurants by staying at the golf course, it doesn't cost extra to go to the beach, just inconvenience.

Not sure about the restaurant under the flyover referenced in a post above. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and the only restaurant near there (other than the one inside the hotel) was the Beachside Cafe, right across the road behind the water tower. We never went over, but in looking online, it's a casual restaurant. Here is a clip of a review I saw online

This is where the locals go on the beach. While visiting the Beachside Cafe, you may encounter some of the colorful local characters that frequent this establishment...I'd put it someplace between Cheers and Mayberry. While eccentricities abound, they are very accepting of tourists. You will NOT get bored here! ;-) Oh, and the food is absolutely wonderful, but keep in mind it's not the Ritz...they have great burgers, fish sandwiches, and bar food.

Oh, and there's the 7-11 right beside the Crowne Plaza.

Not sure about the restaurant under the flyover referenced in a post above. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and the only restaurant near there (other than the one inside the hotel) was the Beachside Cafe, right across the road behind the water tower. We never went over, but in looking online, it's a casual restaurant. Here is a clip of a review I saw online

Oh, and there's the 7-11 right beside the Crowne Plaza.

Hi

if you walk past the 7-11 the barbers ad pizza take away there is a right

turn which goes up to the Golf Resort,across the street there is a small

row of shops and that is where you will find an Italian and also

a Cuban restaurant.

it is about a 10 minute stroll from the WEST DIP.

Hi

if you walk past the 7-11 the barbers ad pizza take away there is a right

turn which goes up to the Golf Resort,across the street there is a small

row of shops and that is where you will find an Italian and also

a Cuban restaurant.

it is about a 10 minute stroll from the WEST DIP.

OK, that clarifies it. Yes, there are tons of places to eat and shop on Hallandale Bch Blvd over the bridge from the Crowne Plaza. I thought you were talking about on S Ocean Dr near the flyover ramp to the bridge.

Archived