First Time Cruise with Kids

Angel59920

We are taking our two kids on there first cruise they will be 10 and 6 when we go. I was wondering if there was anything you could tell me about cruising with kids. Or maybe somethings that you learned over the years or didn't know until you were on the cruise. Did something happen on your cruise that they did special for your kids....

Traveling with kids this age is ideal. You will have a great time. If I could give advice.. I would recommend getting two connecting cabins versus a suite or larger cabin. Obviously the adults have some privacy and there are two tvs and two bathrooms. Cabins are small to begin with- add four suitcases (stored usually under the bed), clothing for four people- wet swimsuits and you have one overworked Mother because you will be cleaning after everyone. Naturally the room steward will be making the beds but its the mess that gets on your nerves.

As for special things... there is usually a talent show at the end of the cruise. The kids really like it- so if your children have special talents- like a musical instrument or a special cd that they want to dance to or costumes that they want to wear if they are a gymnast or ballerina- tell them to bring these things along.

My father always has our cabin decorated with Bon Voyage streamers and decorations (provided by the ship). Its an extra expense but my son loves it (he's 10 now).

Traveling with kids this age is ideal. You will have a great time. If I could give advice.. I would recommend getting two connecting cabins versus a suite or larger cabin. Obviously the adults have some privacy and there are two tvs and two bathrooms. Cabins are small to begin with- add four suitcases (stored usually under the bed), clothing for four people- wet swimsuits and you have one overworked Mother because you will be cleaning after everyone. Naturally the room steward will be making the beds but its the mess that gets on your nerves.

As for special things... there is usually a talent show at the end of the cruise. The kids really like it- so if your children have special talents- like a musical instrument or a special cd that they want to dance to or costumes that they want to wear if they are a gymnast or ballerina- tell them to bring these things along.

My father always has our cabin decorated with Bon Voyage streamers and decorations (provided by the ship). Its an extra expense but my son loves it (he's 10 now).

Thanks so much for the information. We were thinking about getting them the sand toys and folding chair that RCCL has as a gift for kids. I might look into decorating the room. I can't afford to get two cabins so I guess we all will be in one...Hopefully it won't be to bad.

You really don't need to sign them up ahead of time for the youth program. The first afternoon they do a meet and greet and this is a good way for the parents to learn about the rules and the activities and the kids (especially younger ones) aren't as scared to go if the parents come the first day.

As for connecting rooms usually you would have to do two insides for it to work out but cruise fares have dropped- so before you make final payment check into this option.

Unless RCI has changed things since our last RCI family cruise in September, then I think your TA is confusing RCI with Carnival and Disney. ;)

We could sign up our kids in advanced for the kids club on Carnival and Disney online. But I see you are cruising Navigator -- there is no online check in for Adventure Ocean -- that I have ever seen.

I do what Rebeccalouise suggested -- exactly -- we always decorate the cabin. AND we decorate the door. The doors are metal (on RCI) so we use magnets, if that helps ya.

I see that you aren't going till next year so you have a Halloween between now and then -- AFTER this Halloween, grab a pirate costume ON SALE. ;) Throw it into your luggage for the 6 year old. There is a pirate parade onboard. No, you don't have to dress your child up for it. The staff does that. But some of the parents have been catching on and packing pirate costumes so its a nice little extra thing if you do.

Your kids will have a blast!

The dining room has a kid's menu (and adults can use it, too!), with all the "kid friendly" items...nuggets, mac and cheese, etc....

Kid's may order off of either the adult or kid's menu...and there's plenty for everyone to find something that suits them! No worries about food! If you go hungry on a cruise, it's your own fault!

Unless RCI has changed things since our last RCI family cruise in September, then I think your TA is confusing RCI with Carnival and Disney. ;)

We could sign up our kids in advanced for the kids club on Carnival and Disney online. But I see you are cruising Navigator -- there is no online check in for Adventure Ocean -- that I have ever seen.

I do what Rebeccalouise suggested -- exactly -- we always decorate the cabin. AND we decorate the door. The doors are metal (on RCI) so we use magnets, if that helps ya.

I see that you aren't going till next year so you have a Halloween between now and then -- AFTER this Halloween, grab a pirate costume ON SALE. ;) Throw it into your luggage for the 6 year old. There is a pirate parade onboard. No, you don't have to dress your child up for it. The staff does that. But some of the parents have been catching on and packing pirate costumes so its a nice little extra thing if you do.

Your kids will have a blast!

Thanks so much about the costumes. Do they only do the pirate parade in the 6 yr old group?

Just back from our first ever cruise and we took our daughter who turned 10 on the cruise. Best. Vacation. EVAH!!!!! The best part is that it's a family vacation, a couples vacation, and a kids vacation all rolled into one. If your kids are even the least bit outgoing, they will LOVE the kids programs..... And it's wonderful to spend a little alone time with your husband, knowing the kids are having fun and they are safe. I wish I had discovered cruising years ago!!!!

Just back from our first ever cruise and we took our daughter who turned 10 on the cruise. Best. Vacation. EVAH!!!!! The best part is that it's a family vacation, a couples vacation, and a kids vacation all rolled into one. If your kids are even the least bit outgoing, they will LOVE the kids programs..... And it's wonderful to spend a little alone time with your husband, knowing the kids are having fun and they are safe. I wish I had discovered cruising years ago!!!!

I second all this! We cruise Carnival, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same as far as the kids' programs go. I have 2 boys- one is very outgoing and the other a bit shy. They *both* loved Camp Carnival and asked to go often. The great thing is this gave us time together as a family and time alone as a couple. We also bring DH's parents and have an additional babysitter if needed in the late evening (as opposed to CC).

We loved, loved, loved our cruise last summer. It was our first cruise all together and it was really special. Can't wait until our next one in a month!

Thanks so much about the costumes. Do they only do the pirate parade in the 6 yr old group?

Actually, they do it in every group from 3-5, 6-8 and 9-11. You can see the picture of my girls in the last one in my signature as it flashes by. My youngest was 6, my oldest was 10 in that picture. They are wearing the Adventure Ocean pirate bandanas that the counselors put on them and pirate face paint.

Does anybody know if on Haiti they do the kids club on the island? If so what kind of stuff do they do with the kids?

Yes, they move AO to Labadee. And some of the schedules are at the link in my signature. You might have to flip through them to find one for Labadee.

Actually, they do it in every group from 3-5, 6-8 and 9-11. You can see the picture of my girls in the last one in my signature as it flashes by. My youngest was 6, my oldest was 10 in that picture. They are wearing the Adventure Ocean pirate bandanas that the counselors put on them and pirate face paint.

Yes, they move AO to Labadee. And some of the schedules are at the link in my signature. You might have to flip through them to find one for Labadee.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Archived